iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

files

Started by Peter Drouin, December 31, 2012, 06:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

they dont last as long. I try to cleen them but they dont bite, so do you find there not as good as before, I have tryed all kinds, but there junk

what do you guys think
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

AdkStihl

STIHL files last longer than any other file I've tried. Oregon being the worse.
After ever other top plate gets filed, I take a small tooth brush sized stainless steel brush and brush the file clean of filings. Takes only a few seconds and will make your file last twice as long.
J.Miller Photography

cuterz

I have had good luck with Pferd files. splitwood_smiley

T Welsh

Peter, They all work,but some are better than others. I prefer Pherd and Sthil. Most of the German and Swedish files are superior to others. Tim

gspren

It is old news to experienced filers but if you are new "never back drag a file" it cuts going forward and should not touch the metal when coming back for another stroke. Back dragging will ruin a file quick!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Slab Slicer

I've always usd Stihl files with little or no issues. No experience with any others. I'll be looking to see what others say. I'm sure I'll learn something.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

petefrom bearswamp

I sharpen about 1/2  of the time in the vise in my shop.
I use a square handle on my files and turn 1/4 turn after every tooth, then tap on the vise to dislodge any residue in the file after a complete rotation.
When in the woods or at my firewood processing lot I use a clamp on vise on my Faarmi winch using the same technique.
File life for me is pretty good.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

scully

I buy a box of files at a time ,I have noticed that some last a biy longer however in general they wear out fast . If you sharpen in a vice I have found you can get a bit more out of a dull file . Not long ago I grabed a new one and started sharpening only to find that the file was junk ! I've been planning on getting a wheel sharpener for about 20 years now but always have bigger prioritys ....
I bleed orange  .

drobertson

I use the Stihl brand too, I also use a brass brush to clean, but most of the time a couple of taps on the end does the job.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ely

when the file gets too loaded up with bar oil and cuttings that tapping will not clean it out, i use a few blasts of carb cleaner and then tap it again, that usually gets it good for awhile longer... i try and keep a clean dry file.
some folks i know dip thier files in muriatic acid to clean them, they say it sharpens them ::)

AdkStihl

I've heard good reviews regarding Save Edge files too although I've never tried one.
My local Shushkavarnah dealer keeps them in stock.
J.Miller Photography

TeaW

I get about 10 - 15 sharpenings with Oregon files on 25 inch (bar) 404 chain . @1.50 a file that's .15 cents or less a sharpening there are alot of things that I am less happy with .eg price of diesel.
TeaW

Peter Drouin

Thanks for all the replys,
I have tride all the cleening remedies and they all work well,
Just seems the teeth on the file round over and not bite well. when I use a new file and push though the chain I like to see the chips fly and is cutting good. I use the file free hand by eye ,bin doing that over 40 year
Im using the files on 7900 dolmar with a 24" skiptooth  bar ,
I do use all of the file , start in the middle :D and work to the ends :D
when they stop biting and just sliding down the tooth , Ill grab a another new one :D
3 or 4 files per life of chain, use to use 2 years a go,  :D :D
and thanks to all  :new_year:
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Al_Smith

Pferds are a good file .Baileys sells Arbor Pro or something like that .They used to have several tooth styles .I have found the fine toothed variety is not as aggressive as Pferds and for that hard as a rock Stihl chain it seems to do better .
On Oregon or Carlton chain the Pferds seem to do better .Oregon files don't seem to do good on anything but they will file a chain they just don't last as long .

thecfarm

Peter,a lot of things that use to last, don't last as long now.  ;D  I've noticed it with files too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

A small brush with brass bristles is better for the file. Also keep the file in a short piece of plastic tubing ( I use 5/16 maple sap tubing ) It will help it last longer. Oh, and yes there are some files out there that are junk.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

cuterz

I agree there a lot of things built cheaper these days :-X

Jasperfield

I used to use Stihl files.

For the last six years I've used SaveEdge files only. They're more expensive than other files, but the first time you use a SaveEdge file you'll forget what you paid for it. SaveEdge, in my opinion, is the best saw file ever made.

I use them from 0.404 size and on down. They'll last two times as long as a Stihl file and cut like a file's supposed to cut.

Buy SaveEdge and you'll never go back to another brand.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jasperfield on January 02, 2013, 01:39:45 AM
I used to use Stihl files.

For the last six years I've used SaveEdge files only. They're more expensive than other files, but the first time you use a SaveEdge file you'll forget what you paid for it. SaveEdge, in my opinion, is the best saw file ever made.

I use them from 0.404 size and on down. They'll last two times as long as a Stihl file and cut like a file's supposed to cut.

Buy SaveEdge and you'll never go back to another brand.

thanks ill try them
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Bailey's has the Save edge files,
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=save round&catID=10158
Shipping for me would be $12,  :o  flies are $16.
Just about what it cost for 4 jars of The C Farm jam,shipping too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Majorpayne

beenthere

Majorpayne

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

With all due respect, Bailey's is one of our Forum sponsors,  ;) 

And to add, Bailey's will ship one dozen 7/32" files at $11.99 per dozen via USPS for $7.95
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Way to make forum friends and influence people with a first post to push business away from a sponsor. I'm guessing you earned your user name somewhere else first?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Majorpayne

Jeff

We'll forgive you this time. ;) If you would have had enough posts under your belt, we would have never said anything this time.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!