iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White oak timber framing for covered deck

Started by cbailey5024, March 17, 2020, 10:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbailey5024

Hello all. First time posting here. I have a bunch of white oak that I plan to mill. I have read that W.O is water resistance but would it be a good option for a timber frame covered deck? I do know that it is suseptibale to checks. Would I be able to get away with using a finish to protect the wood from UV and rot? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Carpenter

White oak works great for a timber frame.  We use it quite a bit, especially in a location where the structure might have to withstand a little water.  It's pretty rot resistant,  black locust is better, or hedge.  But, white oak does pretty good.  In an exterior application stay away from sap wood, the sap wood does rot.  

As for a UV protectant.  Paint is the best.  But, I'm guessing that you want it to look like natural wood and keep that look for years.  Heritage oils are the timber frame industry standard, and they do make an exterior oil that does pretty good, frankly I haven't been using their product long enough to vouch for how long it will help the wood to keep it's color.  In Nebraska I was working with a lot of Eastern Red Cedar, which fades immediately in the sun.  I used a product called Penofin Marine oil, and it did pretty good, it's got something in it as a uv inhibitor, and I found that it did a lot better with 3 coats, so don't skimp on the coats.  But, I haven't tried it on white oak.  It changes the color on the cedar.  It makes the reds darker red and brownish, and it changes the whites to yellow, but it looks nice, and much nicer than silver grey unless that is the look that you are going for.  All wood will grey with time and exposure to uv rays if left unfinished.  A pigmented stain also will help block the uv rays.  I hope this helps.  Those are the two products that I've used that I know sort of work.  I'm still looking for the silver bullet, and I've tried a lot of different wood finishes.

As your deck will be covered it will get some uv protection from the roof.  So, whatever you use, it will look good for quite some time.  

stanmillnc

I've used the Sikkens Log + Siding product on outdoor timber frames, log structures, deck railing and siding exposed to the elements - it's held up great. Comes in different shades from natural to dark.

Thank You Sponsors!