iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Measure set

Started by bandmiller2, August 14, 2011, 06:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

How do you guys measure the set in your bands? I use a flat anvil dial indicator mounted on a small machined block,easy to zero and accurate,read one side at a time.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

slider

frank,I use the same tool .when i start setting i check the first fue teeth to get the setter adjusted.I use a suffock dual tooth setter but I am sure going to modify it to rig up two dial indicators so i can check the set as i go.Something similar to the cooks but with the suffock i think they would half to be on the outboard side .i have been thinking of this for some time now.maby it is time to get moving.There are times when your just sharpened band is cutting great but you have that one tooth sticking up just a tad .just buggs the crap out of me .On framing material it's no big deal but when you are cutting that wide stuff you want it right.You have inspired me to get started.thanks  al
al glenn

paul case

i use a micrometer. i set with a wm single tooth setter modified to dual set (pineywoods buck ninetyeight dual tooth setter) and once i get it set up it stays the same every band.  the mic has to be flat against the body on one side and the tip of the tooth on the other side. readings on a .045 band with set at .028 is .073 or so. here is a pic of my modified setter.

once the setter is set right it takes about 3 minutes to go around a 14'6'' band. it sets them back to cut as perfectly as out of the box. i couldnt do that good with a dial indicator. oh and as long as i am setting the same brand blade i dont have to tweek the setting for each band. it is just right. works great. best mod i ever made i think. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bodger

Good Morning Paul, let me see if I can word this question to explain what I am thinking...When I sharpen a blade then set (or the other way around) not all the teeth are out by the same amount.  Some will be 23 some 21 and each will require a different amount of pressure to bring to the desired 25 thou set.  I have thought about using the set up you have for a dual tool set (good idea by the way) but it would put the same amount of movement in each tooth, in my mind pushing some to 25 some higher or lower.  Have you experience this or is this just me thinking too much?
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

paul case

i wouldnt say you are thinking wrong or right. i thought too much before i did this mod. the luck i have had with it is exceptional. i would bet that you are very maticoulous in setting and still the saw marks on the board with your set and with a new band are different. this set up that pineywoods has come up with makes the saw marks on the board same as a new band when set up right.
it just works. my thinking may be flawed too but i think that it takes the same amount of push to get .028 on each tooth. i know i had trouble only getting .028 on each tooth with the single tooth and a dial indicator. it wasnt as hard to get set up to put the right amount of set in a band as i thought it would. it works well.  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

pineywoods

Like I said on the original post about the buck ninety eight dual tooth mod. As simple as this is,  don't understand why someone hasn't done it long ago. Note in Paul's pics, there is no dial indicator. You don't need it. The only time you need to change adjustments is if you go to a different thickness blade. The only critical thing is, the setter must be set up so that it bottoms out completely, which gives the same amount of set on every tooth. My experience matches pauls's. The only time I have tooth marks on a board is when the blade has one or more missing teeth. The only difference in our setups is Paul welded on the additional parts. I drilled and tapped a hole and used a bolt. Just do it, it ain't rocket science and you'll never go back to the "one tooth at a time operation"
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

pauls's says thank you pineywoods for showing this great mod to me.
i was to the point of selling this single tooth setter and buying a dual or sending off my blades after a couple of sharpenings. i now enjoy sharpening and setting again. pc
pc

bandmiller2

My dial indicator is not mounted on the setter just used to check and adjust the setter.I built my dual tooth setter along the lines of the Suffolk one although I.ve never seen one.I have two pivoting arms with a toggle handle.One thing I thought up was a clamp for the band.The band passes through two flexable pieces of flat stock,as the arms swing in they first clamp the band tight then the last movement sets over the teeth.I used hardened round head plow bolts to push the teeth.The indexing lever advances three teeth. Really the Pineywoods mod is the same principal.Setting is so quick and easy I do it every time before grinding. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Hate to keep praying on friend JSNH's picture gallery but he has a picture of my setter,he's a clever lad and has a nice machine shop of his own,and a circular mill all setup. Frank C.

Log-ic

U use a plier and a dial for setting wheich works pretty well. However, it is important to measure because it requires some excercise to get the same amount of set for both sides.  This has probably to do with the positioning of the plier, and the force applied, I don't really know.  But now I use two pliers, one for the tooths bend to the right, one for the left side and tat works great.  If your band dives or climbs, the set is inaccurate.  The band will always have a tendency to folow the easyest path

Pezzolato HD8 40HP diesel (2" bands) and Pezzolato MP-800 40HP Deutz diesel (4" bands)
Avant 635TDL articulated loader with various attachments
Loroch JLM-V sharpener, manual saw setting pliers
Vollmer VWM planing bench and rolling machine
Husqvarna chainsaws...

SAW MILLER

I use a powerful magninfying glass and set it a half of a tooth thickness out . If I am into pine I adjust my dino sharpener for a "fuzz" more set . I don't do a lot of adjusting except for the hieght of the tooth . I know that I am a little crude but I have sawn a half a million or so B.F.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

petefrom bearswamp

I made my modification using the index piece from the right side of my WM setter as you don't need it for dual tooth setting.
Drilled and tapped two holes 1/4 28 to mount and the adjustment bolt for the anvil.
If i knew how I would post some pics.
Haven't tried it yet but am excited about shortening setting time.
Paul,
How do you use the micrometer to measure?
Mine cannot be placed on the band body and tooth tip as the distance is too great between the contact points on the mic.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

paul case

mine is a caliper micrometer. jaws are about 2 inches deep or so. place one jaw flat against the back and the other against the tip of the tooth. reading will be set plus band thickness. the pineywoods $1.98 dual tooth setter only has to be set up and checked once for each different brand blade. pc
pc

Thank You Sponsors!