iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Vacu-Kiln 2000

Started by johnvoda, November 28, 2007, 08:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnvoda

Looking for info on a Woodmizer Vacu-Kiln 2000 electric kiln.
I'm trying to buy a package of equipment, and this is included. I do not have any use for it, I am interested in the other machines.
It is at least 10 years old, but not much more. It was used very little.
Is there a market for these? What is it worth? Who would be interested?
Will appreciate any info.
Thanks,
JV

crtreedude

I could be interested if the price was right. What the right price is depends in large degree to its condition and size.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

woodhick

Where are you located?  I might also be interested.   The woodmizer vac kilns had a lot of issues.  Not saying yours does but historicaly they have some problems with pumps and blankets.   Was or is yours in running conditon or has it been setting for 10 years?
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

johnvoda

I will be visiting the mill where it is located within the next couple of days.
I will get all of the info I can from the owner along with some pictures and post the results.
Thanks,
JV 
jvoda@epix.net

Ironwood

THose were know for "FLAMING OUT". They were notorious for catching fire. I recently saw one sell at an auction, for $3200 or so. The heat blankets wear out quickly to the tune of $500 x 5-8 depending how many layers you go with. The 3000 was a better unit. I would not use one, too many variables and fairly involved control unit, GOOD LUCK.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

johnvoda

I visited the kiln the other day, here are some specifics:
Woodmizer Vacu-Kiln 2000
Holds 2000 b.f.
26' long, 36" deep x 36" high inside.
Takes 6 blankets, there are several new ones that go with it.
230 volt single phase, 100 amp.
It's been inside a building it's whole life.
Has had very little use, excellent condition, ready to run.
Last use was 4 years ago. The owner did some cherry for his cabin. He has since retired.
He thinks it is around 15 years old, but counldn't remember exactly.
It is hooked up now, and could probably be run without any problem.
Located in rural Northeastern PA. (Sullivan County)
I'm going to post this in the classified section where it belongs, with pictures.
Call or e-mail me with questions, John V. (570) 954-6256  jvoda@epix.net
Thanks.

ronwood

John,

You might want to call Mike Eichenberger at Woodmizer in Indy. He can give you a bit more info on it.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Den Socling

WoodMizer used water from the kiln to supply a reservoir for the vacuum pump. This caused a lot of problems but the worst is corrosion to the original pumps. If it was cast iron, it is junk. If it was stainless steel, there is a good chance it will work but it is still too small and the reservoir is a bad idea.

Control of current to the blankets can be difficult. There is a row of fuses - a total of 12 for both sides of 6 transformers that supply the blankets on the side of the controller. You will want to check and see if any are blown.

Part of the problem with controlling the blankets are the thermisters that were used to monitor the temperature of each blanket. See how the supply of thermisters looks.

At the chamber, look for corrosion of the aluminum that holds the rubber seal.

Thank You Sponsors!