iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Changing Poulan Pros over to .058 gauge, possible?

Started by ManjiSann, September 24, 2019, 09:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManjiSann

I'm curious to know if I could run .058 drive links on the Poulan Pro 5020? I know I'd have to change out the bars, but since the clutch doesn't have a rim (is that what it's called on the pro saws, the circular thing with the holes in it to engage the drive links?) would the wider drive links cause any problems?

From what I understand the Husky 390xp runs the same chain specs as the Poulans just with the thicker drive link, 3/8 .058 instead of the 3/8 .050. I'd like to be able to run the same chains on all of them so I can just buy one reel instead of having to have 2 different ones. 

In my quest to simplify my chain logistics am I just asking for trouble? Anyone done this?

Thanks,

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

btulloh

For the amount you're planning to saw, a couple loops for each saw is all you need.  I wouldn't fool with a reel if I were you, but that's just me.  After a while a chain ends up for stumping duty and I add another loop for real work.

If you only need 1 size file for all your chains, it makes life easier though.  If that's possible.  I run three different kinds of chain, because that what works best for the saws.  That means three different files.  Not really a big deal.

I can't help on your .050/.058 question.  I just run what fits the saw and life is simple enough.  Everybody does what suits them.
HM126

lxskllr

If you can find a bar that'll fit @ .058(I honestly don't know it that's an issue or not), it'll work no problem. I like buying reels of chain. Makes it easy to spin up(I'm actually more primitive using a punch/chain anvil) what I need. At this point, I have 12", 16", 18" in lopro, and 20", 25", 36" in 3/8. That's too much to deal with buying loops. Easier to make it myself.

sawguy21

An .058 bar with the Poulan mount is probably non existent, only the Swedes use that gauge. Put an.050 bar on the Husky.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Pine Ridge

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 24, 2019, 11:23:24 AM
An .058 bar with the Poulan mount is probably non existent, only the Swedes use that gauge. Put an.050 bar on the Husky.
That might be a good option, i run 3/8 .050 guage on both my 372s and 288, 
.058 guage is not widely used here where i live, everybody runs .050 on huskies and .063 on stihls here.

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

sawguy21

I sold and serviced both, larger Huskys came with .058 unless otherwise specified, Stihl with .050. We only saw .063 in .404 pitch with the 088/MS880. Later on I worked for an Oregon distributor, we had trouble giving our stock of .063 away. Very few use it in western Canada.

hedgerow

I run 3/8 .063 on my 36 inch bar I put on my Stihl but on my 24 inch and 20 inch bars I run .050 on all of my saws to keep it the same. I have never seen .058 around here. 

ManjiSann

@sawguy21 @Pine Ridge

Have either of you seen any indication the .050 is measurably weaker than the .058 or causes any sort of excessive wear?  I have a hard time believing .008 would really make an appreciable difference in strength. 

I was thinking of switching to the .058 as I'd hate to get the Husky 390xp and put .050 on it if somehow the power of the Husky would exceed what the chain could handle? However it sounds like .050 is used in a lot of places on the bigger saws without noticeable detriment?

Sorry if this is a rather silly concern, I feel like I'm getting a grasp on the factors involved but would hate to make an incorrect assumption.

I'll have to see what comes on the new Husky saw, with any luck it'll be .050 bar and the point will be decided for me.

Brandon

Pine Ridge

I understand your concern about .050 guage, it will be fine on a 390xp. 

ManjiSann

I can't find any 36" bars fitting the 390xp in .050 gauge from Oregon or Husky, is it ok to run .050 chain in a bar spec'd for .058?

Unless I'm missing something I'm either going to have to run .050 in the .058 groove or just stock .058 chains for the 36".

Brandon 

lxskllr

I wouldn't run .050 in a .058 bar. It won't hurt at *that point*, but it's only gonna get worse from there gaining slop as it wears.

edit:
Stihl makes a 36" .050 gauge bar. I have one. Perhaps you could use a Stihl bar with an adapter? I like Stihl bars anyway. An ES Light would be spendy, but a nice bar on that saw.

sawguy21

No.The chain will rock in the groove, you won't be able to make a straight cut to save your life. The bar and chain will also wear prematurely.As lxskllr suggests, the Stihl bar will work with a simple adapter.

Pine Ridge

I didn't realize you were going with a 36" bar. Whatever bar and chain you go with make sure they are the same guage.

ManjiSann

Ok, sounds like I either need to find an adapter so I can run a Stihl bar on a Husky powerhead or stock .050 and .058 chains.

I may just stock the two different gauges as I plan to mainly use the 36" bar for milling so should only need a few chains at a time and don't figure they'll wear near as fast as the chains I've been using to remove trees... turns out if you hit a lot of rocks/dirt the chains wear out fast, who knew  ;) ;) oh well, has given me a LOT of practice sharpening chains and setting raker depths.

If I decide to run a Stihl bar on my Husky, does anyone happen to know off the top of their head what adapter I'll need? 

Brandon

Al_Smith

A one time vender on this forum from the west coast used to sell bar adapters .I've made them myself but imagine a "Google " search or a look at E-bay could land one .
The deal with Stihl bars as an option is due to the fact they are plentiful .Try finding for example a bar for a Homelite 2100S that was made about 1968 .Not so easy to find .

sawguy21

It would not be hard to make from a piece of aluminum flat stock the thickness of the bar. I have seen an S shaped spring clip that slipped over the studs.

Al_Smith

I took my advice and "Googled" it .You can pay any where from 8 to 25 bucks for them depending .8 bucks sounds a lot better .On the large mount McCullochs and Homelites I just cut thick washer things on my lathe to emulate the Stihl stud bosses .On the large saws you have to have a bar with a wider heel area .With a Poulan most likely any would work .Actually it's pretty easy to do .You might have to bore out the oil and adjuster hole or move same .

Thank You Sponsors!