iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK 1600 MODS

Started by bigD, December 30, 2014, 11:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigD

So, I have the older model TK1600 that doesn't have the hydraulic log turner.  TK told me I couldn't add it. Looking at it I think I could add a motor, two lever valve and a cylinder to the exsisting components.  I'm thinking I could run it off the existing pump since they won't be run at the same time. 
Anyone ever do this to a TK1600? 
As with every post I make as I am new; if there is a thread somewhere about this just direct me there.
Thanks for all the help and advice I get from FF.

pineywoods

BigD, you might want to take a look at this. The original was on a wm lt40, but there is nothing woodmizer dependent. This turner/clamp has been adapted to several different mills since I posted the original build.

OOPS, I left out the link, see LeeB's post above..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

york

Albert

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dillon

Does your mill have the hand crank turner with the winch to raise and lower it? Mine has one and I think it could be converted to hydraulic pretty easy.

bigD

yes it does.  I think it would be easy to do also.

Dillon

I was going to work on converting mine this winter but time and money haven't let me do it yet. I started looking into it and the spool valve is open center so you can add another two spool valve next two it. My plan was to attach a hydraulic motor to the shaft where the hand crank attaches with a love joy coupler and leave the chain and sprocket on there. There is already a tab on the turner to attach a hydraulic cylinder to. You would need to add a spot on the frame. When I looked into the parts over the summer it was around $600 to do it.

thecfarm

Dillon,welcome to the forum. Been sawing long?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dillon

Thanks for the welcome thecfarm. I've been sawing about 8 years. Started out with a norwood lumbermate. I bought a used timberking 1600 about a year and a half ago. It was a great upgrade makes sawing much easier.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dillon.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bigD

Where were you going to get the parts?  can you send me a picture or drawing of where you were going to attach the second valve. 

Dillon

Agrisupply.com hydraulic cylinder item number 46865. Surpluscenter.com hydraulic motor item number 9-7076-400, spool valve item number 9-6702, chain coupler item number 1-4050-c. I don't remember what size the chain coupler needs to be I think one 3/4" and one 1". I was going to use a lovejoy coupler but I forgot I found these they are much stronger. Ill try and get a pic tm of where I was going to put the valve. My plan is to make another mount to the right of the original spool. Then take the return line off the original spool and put it on the new spool return port. Then run a line from the return port on the original spool to the feed on the new spool.

bigD

Sounds great.  I'll check em out.  Thanks for your time.

Thank You Sponsors!