iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two stroke oil ratio's- Saber,Castrol,, Red Max, and Stihl

Started by Keepfixin, May 11, 2024, 09:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keepfixin

Well I was almost out of chainsaw fuel so I decided to get some pictures of different brand oils and ratio's while getting it. Saber at about 64:1 and the Castrol snowmachine oil at 50:1 is what I've used for years. Hope more could share pictures of more different brands of 2 cycle oil .

Edit: The 75:1 is actually a 64:1 Saber mix.
Jesus: The Way, the Truth, and the Life. John 14:6

chet

Not sure what the pics show other than the diluted oil, or dye color?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

barbender

The Forum has collectively came to the conclusion that straight 30 weight motor oil at about a 16:1 ratio is optimum.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

And then the 'skeeters can't see you through the fog.  ffcheesy

My chainsaws cost too much for me to experiment.  I use the little "Ultra" silver Stihl bottle and mix one bottle per gallon as instructed.  I also pour a bit of gas into the empty bottle and rinse it out.  ffsmiley

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

#6 oil there BB, the secret is to use #6.  ffcheesy  But seriously - what would you run 75:1 in? Never heard of that. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Keepfixin

I have to do a edit on the first post. The ratio I've used was 64:1 instead of 75:1. BTW I dont use the 100:1 mix!!! Just mixed it for visual purposes and then added more oil! The reason for 64:1 is because you measure an even 2 ounces of oil and was easy to figure and measure out. But that's only with Amsoil Saber I do that with!!!!!! Run it in my leaf blower, 026, 034 super, 036, and 044. Will run it in my ms260, ms290/390, and ms 440 after break in with the "orange" bottle stihl oil :-) hey if anyone has pictures of mixed fuel in a small glass jar it would be neat to compare. I know the oil subject is touchy but think it would be beneficial to actually see the oil ratio and possibly educate eyes to the right color so they don't accidentally use fuel that's too lean.
Jesus: The Way, the Truth, and the Life. John 14:6

lxskllr

RedArmor oil is very red. I'm not sure what it would take to get me to mix different ratios for tools, but my current collection doesn't do it. I would find that highly annoying having to keep track of different jugs for different stuff. I do everything at ~40:1 and call it good. I also use some premix for my lesser used tools. I buy it as backup for my cornfree gas since it's a bit of a hike to get. That gets rotated out to my lesser used tools, and I buy more to keep on hand.

barbender

Are we talkin' #6 burner fuel, SS? If so, I'm game😁

OH logger

I use the amsoil exclusively and have for 10-15 years I'd say.   Never caused me any trouble at all.  They say 100:1.  I buy it in the same plastic bottle it looks like you have.   You can dump one bottle in 6 gallon of gas.  I mix it in 5 gallon gas can cause that's a normal size so I know I'm a little richer than 100:1.  I also mix it in about 90 octane recreational gas (ethanol free). My small engine guy has a jug and piston  from a saw I smashed laying in his shop.  It's off a well used saw but looks perfect yet. He uses it to sell amsoil 
john

doc henderson

I use the silver Stihl ultra, but to make 2.5 gallons at a time. :thumbsup:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I use the Amsoil Saber too, because it is the most economical quality synthetic oil I can get locally. There's no way I'll run 100:1 or even close to it. I mix it between 32:1 and 40:1. I'm not worried about scoring a piston, even if I was running 100:1 like recommended. I've had a few bearing failures over the years though. I'm more concerned about adequate oil I'm the bearings.

I'm running a jug of Klotz right now. This will be the last one probably  I like it, it smells like fabric softener but it costs over 2X what I pay for the Amsoil

Southside

Honest truth - I run the Walmart outboard oil in the blue jug at 40:1 with the cheap pump gas and have for years. 372's have never had an issue with it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

also to be clear, I use the larger bottle of Stihl oil designed to make up 2.5 gallons of fuel instead of the 1-gallon size.  I am not running at 100:1.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OH logger

My mechanic that works on my saws and sells em is also an amsoil dealer.  He says if I mix the amsoil 100:1 like it says there's no danger.  If it wrecks a saw he'll give me a new one. 
john

barbender

So if you lose a crank bearing, how are you going to determine if it was the oil mixture that caused the failure, so he can provide you a new saw?

That's an honest question- I think Amsoil has a similar guarantee. A guarantee is great but how are you going to establish "engine failure due to lubricant failure"? 

Magicman

I suspect that you would be accused of mixing it too thin.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

donbj

You guys have it all wrong. Use chain oil 40:1. The tackifier in it will help it stick to the piston and bearings.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

barbender

I may add that 50/50 with my 30 wt motor oil😁

NewYankeeSawmill

I buy the Stihl pre-mix containers when the local co-op has a sale on the 6-pack, but most of the time I use an all-ratio synthetic product my local small-engine shop carries. It's what they use in their m-gas can at the shop since they never know what kind of machine is coming in to get serviced (100:1, 50:1, 36:1, etc..) The little plastic pouch costs $1.99 and works for all ratios when added to 1-gal gas. Easy enough even I can't screw it up! I don't use but maybe 6 or 7 gallons of mixed gas per year, so take the easy way.
I'm religious about it being no-ethanol gas, even though the Brigg's and Stratton on my mill says 10% is fine. All of my small engines get 100% saudi-arabian-dead-dinosaur 97 octane from the mobil station.
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

NewYankeeSawmill

Quote from: donbj on May 13, 2024, 11:40:20 PMYou guys have it all wrong. Use chain oil 40:1. The tackifier in it will help it stick to the piston and bearings.

Yuks aside, have you seen the oil and crank-case additives sold under various brands? I swear.... it's bar and chain oil re-packaged at $10/quart. If I had an old beater I'd be tempted to try it.
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Magicman

I know that mine is mixed a bit rich because the jug is never completely empty and to keep from overfilling, I doubt that I ever fill it completely to the top.

OH logger

Quote from: barbender on May 13, 2024, 10:00:35 PMSo if you lose a crank bearing, how are you going to determine if it was the oil mixture that caused the failure, so he can provide you a new saw?

That's an honest question- I think Amsoil has a similar guarantee. A guarantee is great but how are you going to establish "engine failure due to lubricant failure"?
The mechanic is a neighbor and friend so I'd trust him real far.  Now my son even works for him so I'd believe what he says.  I've never lost a crank bearing since switching to anmsoil and I log full time with my saws. When I first switched to amsoil there was a NOTICEABLE power difference. 
john

Al_Smith

I see the great oil debate still has some life left in it.From Amsoil  to bunker oil ,100 to 1 or 10 to 1 ratio depending on the tides caused by the phases of the moon .Go get-em ,stand your ground . ffcheesy Now don't forget premixed fuel  at the country club if you are a member for around 20 bucks a gallon .Highly recommended for those $1000 pretty chainsaws used to cut firewood for the fire ring on the patio .

barbender

Thank You Sponsors!