iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab mill near Jackson, MS??

Started by MSSawmill, April 15, 2014, 10:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSSawmill

Anyone know of a mill near me, (Jackson, MS area), that can handle a 6' diameter log? My uncle had a huge 100+ year old oak cut down, and he has about an 8' but log from it that I can't touch. So much beautiful lumber in it, though! :)

Thought I had a picture, but I don't...
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

Magicman

Nope, I do not know of anyone with a slabber or a swinger.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MSSawmill

Thanks, MM. Had one nibble from a forum member who will be passing through next month. We'll see if he can work it out, though.

Thought I would post some pictures just for fun. We're going to be cutting up about 10 or 12 good sized branches from this tree into 1" stuff to be planed and used for a table and for kitchen cabinets. I'd LOVE to cut up this butt log because of the amount of wood in it, the age, and I'm sure the quarter sawn beauty of it. But I'm sure you can see the difficulty there when you consider the diameter of the butt is 6' at it's widest!

Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

tmarch

I'd be tempted to by a saw just for that, purdy stuff in there for sure!!!!!!!!!!
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

pineywoods

I thought fishfarmer over in meridian had a swinger..maybe I was thinking of someone else..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

backwoods sawyer

I would not hesitate to quarter it and mill on a bandmill if a swing mill can not be brought in.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

The tension/stress in those limbs will probably give you some misery when you saw them because they were carrying a huge amount of unbalanced weight.  The pith will be very off center.  Saw through from either the top or bottom, NOT from the side.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!