iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gas to electric motor?

Started by xlogger, March 23, 2012, 06:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Another thought, is the Guy otherwise reasonable? If you go see him and tell him you are going to fit a 2nd muffler on the mill and put an extra wall /fence to block the noise in his direction, that will REDUCE the noise, will he be happy?

Or is he the type that wont be happy if he can even hear, see, smell... a sawmill?

That makes a big difference. Spending a lot of effort to appease him, if he's still not going to be happy, is sort of a waste of time.

Other thing is, what are the actual regulations in your area? If there are any, then you taking measures to reduce the noise may help you avoid them?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

xlogger

I called him and left him a message on his phone that I was looking into getting another muffler and also maybe a solid fence along our property line.
Where the mill is and his house located it would have to be a tall fence and I know I will not built one that tall, maybe 20 ft to block any noise or view, his home is up hill from the mill. He really can't see the mill anyways from his home with a clear view. He didn't call back. I talked to a guy that says he has a agri zone like I do and he says the man can't stop me from running my mill. He sounds like he knows what he talking about. The rest of my neighbors are all country people and don't care, except this man that came from a gated community from FL. If he says anything else I'm agreeing with CLL in the post above you.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Ianab

Common problem here too.

City folks "move to the country" for the peace and quiet. Then complain that someone is up at 5 am with farm bikes and dogs,  getting cows in to milk....

Welcome to the country...

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

One of the better muffler upgrades out there is the Super Trapp. You would probably want the model 5s with the optional resonator.

Check them out at this site:
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmain.cfm

And here's a page with some comparison noise reduction ratings (closest engine they have to yours is a 14 HP Kohler):
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/strapmod.cfm

Not cheap as mufflers go, but effective, and a whole lot cheaper than switching to an electric motor.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!