iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dont cut below the stump!

Started by paul case, November 20, 2009, 08:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

a friend , customer of mine brought me a dug up stump of a black walnut to slab off for him along with some other stuff. after dulling my blade finishing his other stuff i set this stump and roots on the mill. i cut 4   4'' cuts and didnt hit anything but on the last cut the blade didnt come out! i think it hit a rock that was completely grown over.stuck anyway. my advice ,and i told my friend ,mining happens below ground not wood cuttin     pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

beenthere

Ingrown rocks and dirt comes with the territory of sawing stumps.  :)  But some might beautiful figured grain can be found in there too. I have one here that I might talk burlkraft into taking off my hands (whenever he has a dull blade to shove into it  :) ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I was sawing a walnut stump and hit nails.  Seems that this stump came from a creek bank, and had once had a posted sign nailed to it.  Stumps are sawed by the hour + blades.  And that by the hour includes power washing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

Yessiree bobcat!

It has always amazed me what I hit in stumps.  I always expected to hit stuff that had been hammered into the thing. But it never dawned on me that there would be stuff in there that someone had leaned against the tree years ago.  I've seen pieces of automobile, bicycles, tractor equipment, hinges, insulators, pieces of old horse shoes, bridle, knives, rocks, bottles, and most anything else that you can imagine someone throwing to the bottom of a young tree to get it out of the way.  Not to mention the stuff from the ground that the stumps grow around as they put their roots down. 

I'd saw them, but didn't really want to do it.

Thank You Sponsors!