iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Startup Sawmill Business in East Texas

Started by skytraveler, April 28, 2012, 07:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skytraveler

Hello to all,
I am new to this forum. I joined to get advice on how to formulate a plan to start a small sawmill operation here in East Texas. I own a tract of mixed pine and hardwood which has not been thinned for about 30 plus years. I am investigating the possibillity of harvesting and milling my own trees. My first step is to try and determine if this is something I could do. To this end, I am trying to get as much sound advice as I can get on all aspects of research to business plan to raising capital to purchasing equipment to hiring employees to harvesting trees to cutting lumber to drying lumber to marketing and selling lumber. Any and all help will be considered and appreciated.
Thanks to all who read this post and especially to all who reply.
eternity matters

Tree Feller

Where in East Texas? I know of a sawmill that is shutting down soon. There might be an opportunity to purchase some equipment reasonably.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, skytraveler.  Anyone can make a product and plenty of it so that is the easy part.  Marketing your product is your main goal and there is much footwork that you need to do before making many commitments.

Due to your fires there may be some improved market for your hardwood in the future.  Niche markets are there but you have to find or develop them.  Many operations require heavy or expensive support equipment and then there are labor issues.

Others will surely offer many more suggestions, ideas, and options.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Welcome, Skytraveler, I am in Livingston, where are you located.  A lot of dead timber out there to practice on.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Woodey

Welcome Skytraveler,
East Texas cover a big area.
Do you have any experience in this field ? I would suggest that your visit several mill around the area, your welcome to drop in and see the ins and outs of my operation.  Research is the way to start. I hired 2 different sawyers to mill lumber for me before I got in the business.

Tree Feller, Tell me more about the equipment that might be for sale. I looking for a wheel loader.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Tree Feller

Thurman's Sawmill in Mt. Selman (between Tyler and Jacksonville) is closing down. Doyle Thurman told me he was selling the place to an oilfield service company that does sandblasting.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

skytraveler

Thanks for all the replies.
To narrow it down, I am located just north of Tyler in northern Smith county.
I have almost no experience except for dropping a dozen or so trees. Cutting up and splitting firewood.
I have been looking for sawmills in this area to visit, that is a great idea. I have found a couple that I plan to call next week. (Wilcox in Rusk, and Spearman in Warren)
As for marketing, I have some ideas, but need alot of help in this area.
Does any one know how long you have to air-dry your lumber before it is ready to sell?

Woodey, I would be most apreciative to be able to visit your opperation. When would be a good day and time?
eternity matters

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Keep your ears and eyes open to what some of your potential local customers needs might be than try to figure out if you can produce it. If you can not find a local market expand your search. In Texas my first search would be to horse farms for barns, stalls and the like.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tree Feller

Quote from: skytraveler on April 29, 2012, 11:26:57 AM

To narrow it down, I am located just north of Tyler in northern Smith county.

Does any one know how long you have to air-dry your lumber before it is ready to sell?

Well howdy, neighbor. I can't help much on the sawing as I just got a mill myself and am still learning. I expect to be learning for as long as I have a mill, too.   ;)

As far as how long to air dry lumber, it depends on species, thickness, time of year and the intended use. You will read "a year per inch of thickness" on internet forums but that's not even a good rule-of-thumb, much less fact. Of course if you want to wait a year per inch, 4/4 will probably be dry, at least as dry as it will get in East Texas air...about 12% MC, last summer being an exception because of the high heat and low humidities. In a lot of cases, however, you will be waiting too long if you wait a year and your lumber will be degrading during that time, too. 8/4 and thicker may take a year per inch plus a year.

The Tyler area could benefit from a hardwood dealer because there just aren't many here. Thurman's in Mt. Selman is closing, The Hardwood Barn in Mt. Enterprise has closed. Gulf States Lumber in Tyler has a limited selection of hardwood but their prices are as high as a cat's back.

If you market it right and provide good stock, I think there is an opportunity for you to be successful.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook

wood monger

Welcome to the forum Skytraveler, lot's of good info here regarding all aspects of wood.

Woodey

Skytraveler,

Give me a call or PM if you still would like to visit the mill/kiln.

Woodey
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

tcsmpsi

Skytraveler...
Welcome to the forum! 

Your question, 'how to formulate a plan...'
It's going to be considerably more involved than a viable plan of 20 yrs ago,  and a significant challenge over 5 yrs ago.  Are you planning to use your own trees exclusively?  How much land do you have?  Is it purchased plantation?

Be honest with yourself as to how much money you consider that you need to make from the operation.  All things considered, profits have all indicators of being more elusive, rather than less, anytime in the reasonably forseeable future.

'Working' and equipment capital is out there, but what I have seen, isn't cheap. 

Are you looking at a sustainable business, 20 yr business, 10 yr business....?   What is your ultimate goal?   

Are you looking more at needing a viable business to make money?  Or, you want to cut trees and sawmill?....and maybe make some money while doing it?

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Magicman

If you have a "day" job, then keep it and grow into the business.  A startup is tough enough without having to also take your living expenses from it.

Mine was supplementary, so I was able to take no income for the first two years.  After that, the sawmill was paid for and a nice maintenance fund was established so that if I blew an engine, I could just call and say "send me a new one" without worrying about cost.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!