iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ranger 570 SxS front right brake calipre, bleeder snapped off.

Started by SwampDonkey, June 13, 2021, 10:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Do any of you guys have experience with these brake calipers on the Ranger 570's or similar. It's the bleeder that has snapped off of the caliper. 'Don't ask, don't tell'. It's broke flush. Was just wondering if it was much of a job to replace that bleeder, or if the whole caliper gets replaced?

Part # 8 here
https://www.polarispartshouse.com/oemparts/a/pol/5e41a94587a866185451fd10/brakes-caliper-front

diagram snapshot

photo - red line

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KirkD

You might try taking it out with an easy-out? If not replacement calipers on Amazon are only $25 to $30
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

barbender

I have one snapped off on the front of my Sportsman 500, too. That's what I get for trying to loosen it without heating it up first. There are caliper bleeder repair kits available, I think they are about $10 usd, but then you also need the appropriate drill bit and pipe tap. To use them, you seill the bleeder outn tap it and install a new bleeder seat and screw. Pretty much like a helicoil with a bleeder in it.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

As far as me doing it, I could only screw it up. :D I just wanted to have an idea what is involved for time or just a replace. I don't mind giving the shop man a job. But not the local one, they ain't touch'n my stuff. I didn't buy it local. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

Just replaced the caliper on the caliper bleeder I broke off. 
Some of that parts repair work is above my backyard mechanic skills.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Hilltop366

Were you trying to bleed the brakes or did it brake by getting hit?

If I did not need to bleed the brakes and not leaking I would be tempted to leave it until needed, could be years.

Usually the method for broken bolts goes: try with fingers, try with screw driver (cutting slot if able), tap with sharpened punch (chisel shape) in circular motion, reverse drill and easy out, weld to washer or nut or bar with hole in it....

mike_belben

Put caliper in vice. 

Drill a hole, grind a steep taper into a sacrificial allen key and hammer it into the hole to broach it in.   Now hit the allen key stub with a torch good and hot.  

The heat from the allen stub will enter the bleeder stub then leave the bleeder stub and enter the aluminum housing.  The plug is contracting while the hole is expanding. Thats the moment you want to break it loose.  Maybe 2 minutes after heating. 

If that dont work, scrap. 

Praise The Lord

alan gage

Not familiar with side by sides but at our repair shop we never try to remove broken bleeders. Even if successful the time spent doing so would probably be more than the cost of the caliper. And if you spend the time trying, and fail, then you either give that time away or bill the customer for it, effectively doubling the price of the caliper. So it's just replace it and move on.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

SwampDonkey

mike_belben

I can get it out before you can get to autozone.  Time saved is how i look at it.  
Praise The Lord

KirkD

Note to self: If I ever replace the caliper on my RZR put Never Seize on the threads of the bleeder bolt.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

SwampDonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on June 13, 2021, 11:05:22 PM
I can get it out before you can get to autozone.  Time saved is how i look at it.  
I understand Mike, but you ain't me. :D

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

alan gage

Quote from: mike_belben on June 13, 2021, 11:05:22 PM
I can get it out before you can get to autozone.  Time saved is how i look at it.  
If I was working at home I'd agree but at the shop we almost never run for parts. It will be delivered in 5 minutes and while we're waiting for delivery we're pulling the old one off.
Most of the seized/broken bleeders we see are in aluminum calipers so digging them out is probably a fools errand. We can usually get the bleeders loose with heat in the cast iron calipers.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

mike_belben

makes sense.   im 30 mins to town and they all seem to need to order even the most common things.  youd think toyota yaris alternator or unit bearing would be in stock. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on June 14, 2021, 02:05:00 PM
youre right.  my garden is pathetic!
I don't think my string beans are going to amount to anything this year. If the weather patterns don't change next year I'll be cutting way back to my 3 little 4 x 8 garden beds. I got enough work with making a living, I don't need to lug water all summer. This drought every year is not natural for this area. ::)

mike_belben

i just dug 2 more water collection points on the drainage side of the yard, and rigged up a tote with a hose off the gutter.  carry it back and forth with the tractor forks. youre right, it is a lot of work
Praise The Lord

farmfromkansas

I bought an assortment of easy outs.  Take the one that you can insert the end of the easy out into the hole in the bleeder valve, tap it into the hole with a hammer, then unscrew the bleeder with a tiny wrench or crescent.  Should come out.  Replace the bleeder valve, if you can get one, before replacing the entire caliper
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

SwampDonkey

Part(s) came Tuesday, I fixed her up after dinner today. 20 minute job for a guy that don't know noth'n. Youtube is great. :D

Thank You Sponsors!