iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carport for sawmill shed

Started by Patrick NC, June 15, 2021, 12:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

I've been thinking about putting up a metal carport for a sawmill shed. Got a quote for $4600 for a 26x31 installed. My old shed that I built for my little timbery mill is too small and I just don't have time to build a bigger one. It doesn't sound like a bad price. Any of y'all have your mill under one?
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

alan gage

I use one (24x40x12) for air drying lumber. I think it could make a nice saw shed if you could get the mill setup sideways so you can load logs and unload lumber from the big doorways on the ends.

We have enough snow load here that putting in a wide enough door for loading logs from the side starts to get prohibitive.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Patrick NC

My mill is 20' long with the hitch removed. Goal would be for the log deck to be under cover too. It's 32' long, not 31'. Typo
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Southside

Just trying to picture your set up.  How will lumber come off of the mill?  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

alan gage

Quote from: Patrick NC on June 15, 2021, 01:26:57 PM
My mill is 20' long with the hitch removed. Goal would be for the log deck to be under cover too. It's 32' long, not 31'. Typo
That might work nice if you could have a door in the middle of a sidewall for pulling the mill in/out (the mill would be crosswise in the building). That would leave maybe 10' of covered space on either side of the mill with the big open ends for moving logs in and lumber out.
Most of the manufacturer's will install door openings, or you could frame our own.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Patrick NC

Quote from: Southside on June 15, 2021, 02:26:06 PM
Just trying to picture your set up.  How will lumber come off of the mill?  
I was thinking about doing it how @alan gage suggested. Set up some dunnage at the end of the mill just outside the carport to stack lumber on. Maybe put a lean to off that side to keep that area in the dry. I also have an old paddle style grain elevator that I was thinking about putting right behind the mill with a deflector to catch sawdust dumping out into a trailer. 

firefighter ontheside

I put up an 18x26 for my mill.  My mill is short, so it is turned sideways in there across the 18' direction.  I poured a concrete pad across it that is 7' wide.  In the rest of the space I park my tractor and mule.  I bought the carport used for $900.  It has worked out great.  I have an 18x41 that my camper lives under that is 12' tall.  I think i paid about 4500 for that installed about 4 years ago.  I sure wish I could use it to air dry lumber.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

farmfromkansas

I priced a 24x24 a few months ago for 3200.  Thought that was too much to spend, so got my welder neighbors to build a frame from used oil well pipe. They think it is much stronger than those beer can car ports.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!