iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Japanese maple

Started by Cjross73, June 12, 2020, 07:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cjross73

Has anyone milled japanese maple? I have a couple i have to take down and was wondering if its worth putting on the mill

Thanks 
Chuck
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

btulloh

I've never seen one with a trunk big enough to put on the sawmill.  There must be one somewhere though.  Maybe at your place?  Pic?
HM126

WV Sawmiller

My son has one (at least that is what we have been calling it). I don't remember if it has 2 or 3 trunks. I'd say the biggest one may be 12-13 inches at the base and you might get a clear 10-12 ft log off it. He has no plans to cut it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Cjross73

btulloh

Thanks for the pic.

I guess "Japanese Maple" is a general category.  Around here, the Japanese maples are ornamentals and used as accent trees in landscaping.  They are extremely slow-growing - a 25 year old may have a trunk that's 3-4" in diameter at best.  Low-growing, understory trees.  The most desired versions have deep red leaves all summer.  There is also a green-leaf version, but it's not as poplar.  It would probably take these ornamental varieties several hundred years to get that big - if ever.  

HM126

Cjross73

I'm definitely not the expert in tree identification,  the people I bought this place from told me that's what he planted back in the early 80's. I know they don't resemble any of the maple we had growing up in WV. They are leaning and too close to the house so they have to go.  Thought they might make some benches or end tables etc. 

Banjo picker

The one my mom set out years ago still looks like a small bush instead of a tree.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!