iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 01, 2019, 12:17:39 PM
  Well done. In all honesty I would rather not saw somebody else's high value log like that. The one I sawed Tuesday was as big or bigger than that with most of the lumber 22-23 inches wide. I find it very nerve wracking thinking I could screw up a piece of wood like that that I know I could never replace. I don't mind sawing my own as then it is on me but somebody else's ...
He liked my sawing so much he brought me a big bottle of 12 year old Glen Fiddich!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WV Sawmiller

Mine left me a $70 tip on a $290 order. :D I was happy and obviously he was too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Song title,   - Ponderosa by the headlamp light.
Artist ....almost late for meatloaf.

Ok I know, bad, but the song just popped into my head as I quit this evening. :D

Deese

Sawed cypress beams till midnight last night. This morning I grabbed a few chainsaws and took a little trip to cut some ERC trees down. Got'em home late this afternoon and decided to fight with the biggest, ugliest one. Needed to get short 1x's from side lumber and squeeze out a few 2x6x14's from the center. The log won today's fight. Took me 10 forevers to get it positioned for the 1st face opening, then I noticed barbed wire perfectly in the way. Went home without cutting a single board today. Got a frozen steak strapped over my black eye. Chainsawing it down into 6' & 8' sections in about 6 hours. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Brad_bb

Well I had a multi-stem crotch with about 5 stems coming out of it from a big Ash tree we took down last spring.  The butt log was 48"DBH.  This crotch from above the butt log was pretty heavy and no one wanted to take it when I was giving away Ash firewood logs a couple months ago.  I was intending to cut it up into firewood chunks, but then I started cutting 2.5" cookies.  The heartwood color was beautiful contrasted with the white wood.  So I just kept cutting cookies til there was nothing left.  I'm thinking a table top like Tule Timber Peak's Walnut cookie table.  That Style, but these cookies are a lot bigger.  A bunch of them are oval and 3-3.5 feet across the long side.  I got 15 cookies I think.  I guess I'm going to have to get busy building my slab flattening helical planer mill.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

doc henderson

worked on a few cookies for a wedding for and eagle scout in our troop from a few years ago.  near dusk so added the laser and tried to get a few pics to show its utility.  mine points down just in front of the blade.  I know as I approach the log, I get a warning within 1/2 inch of blade contact.  as I pull back to drop down for the next cut, I can see the line drop down off the top of the log.  I can tell when the blade is about to exit the log on the far side so I know when I can push the auto up button to then pull back for the next cut.  this really helps on long logs, and when light is getting thin.  in fact when it gets dark, the laser really pops.

this is what I see as I approach the log.  this one is upright for cutting cookies and tipped away at a 45° angle so the cookies are oval and more interesting with a beveled edge.  (open to interpretation).

the laser shoots down in front of the blade.  you can see it on the frame and ground.  as well on the bolts in front of the roller guides.

not a great shot and not what I see.  just a single line that indicates the location of the blade in the cut, so if the blade is flipping the cookies as I exit the cut, I can speed up a bit to keep them stacked and cut several at a time and not have to pick them up off the ground or mill frame.  fun.  got 54 done this eve.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tamarackman

Quote from: doc henderson on December 04, 2019, 09:41:39 PM
this is what I see as I approach the log.  this one is upright for cutting cookies and tipped away at a 45° angle so the cookies are oval and more interesting with a beveled edge.  (open to interpretation).

A laser on a manual mill would greatly help in centering the pith.

This is what I'm milling; tamarack 2x6s:

wisconsitom

Looks like some real nice lumber, SPDM.  How do the knots on tamarack treat  you when sawing?  Hard like spruce?
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Don P

This is the last load of framing and 1x6 floor sheathing, yellow poplar and red oak, for a small house. The engineer should be by Wed to grade and we can start framing 8).

tamarackman

Quote from: wisconsitom on December 07, 2019, 01:17:59 PM
Looks like some real nice lumber, SPDM.  How do the knots on tamarack treat  you when sawing?  Hard like spruce?

Very wavy if I don't slow down pushing through the cut. Still like cutting it as it has a distinctive colour and smell to it.

Lawg Dawg

Hi guys,  good to see you...still sawing 

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Lawg Dawg

Even got another nice little article wrote about me and my sawmill endeavors since last time I was here. 

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Crossroads

That's pretty cool lawg dawg, a little recognition makes a guy feel good about his efforts.....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Congrats on the publication.  It has happened to me twice, and the (free) public exposure is always welcomed:

Free Advertisement in Sawmills and Milling
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

We had a article done on The C Farm. The way she wrote it made us sound like very important people and we loved what we was doing. ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

What do you folks make of the green coloring in this maple? Will it stay or fade away?

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

does it feel wet in those area.  time will tell, but I bet it will lighten some as it dries.  Walnut looks almost ugly sometimes when it is right off the mill, green brown black ect.  dries beautiful
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

It is an enzymatic oxidation stain and is permanent.  Happens as the log naturally ages.  Fresh maple logs will not have the time and conditions (higher temp, high humidity, and no/low air flow) for the reaction to occur.  I get maple like that all the time and the stain adds a lot of nice contrast and color.  Many of my customers like it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

I have had this piece of maple for a year and half.
Put it up on the mill this afternoon it's spalted and curly.
Made 3 cuts before the tree company stoped with a load.
I had to stop

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

That is one ugly mama! I can't wait to see what the wood looks like.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bruno of NH

WV
It's nice 
I will have pictures tomorrow 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

I'll be back to see the pictures.  
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

terrifictimbersllc

Beauty and the beast. Not saying which is which. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

The ugly maple log after we cut some slabs off the top 
I like my Woodmizer

Bruno of NH

Pictures of the ugly maple log 
I got (23) 2"thick x 4'long slabs

Thank You Sponsors!