iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member from NE PA

Started by Two Trax, October 21, 2018, 08:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Trax

Good morning all. I have been a reader for a while and picked up much valuable information here, thanks to all! I recently joined the world of sawmills purchasing a used low hour Timberking B20. The mill is in pretty good shape but needs a couple things tweaked. 

I am retired and not looking to go into full time production. Looking to saw wood for some of my own projects and perhaps some sawing on the side to help pay for the mill, likely more of a hobbyist. I own almost 350 acres of mostly woods so getting material will not be a problem!

I enjoy chainsaws and cutting/processing wood to keep the central boiler wood stove fed which heats the house, hot water, attached garage and large pole building. Been doing that for 14 years now. Some of my friends thought i was crazy for making so much work for myself and thought I would soon tire of it. Well they were wrong! I still enjoy heading out to process firewood. A day playing in the woods with the saw, tractor and my ever faithful german shepherd is as enjoyable today as when i started this venture. 

So it is my hope to find the same satisfaction with the mill. I know there will be questions, already have a couple but will save those for another time. Looking forward to sharing ideas here on Forestry Forum!
Livin the dream!

Marco

Morning Two Trax,

Sounds like heaven to me, just enough busy to keep you smiling and in shape. I picked up an older LT 30 a few years ago and it adds a whole new dimension to puttering in the bush. 

Lko67

Welcome to the forum from another pa Sawyer. Lots of good info here and very helpful and friendly people

thecfarm

Two Trax,welcome to the forum.  I have a Heatmor and have about half your acres to play on. ;D  I just came in from playing. I chase down all the dead wood to burn in my OWB,that is why I got it.
How are you getting logs out of the woods now? Tractor,hp? Skidder?
I use the tops from the sawmill for firewood. I only saw for myself,so don't get much wood from that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fstedy

You will find a lot of help here. Many long time B 20 owners who have gone thru the troubleshooting aspects of the machine. Its usually an easy fix and local parts are readily available. Good luck and happing sawing.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Tom the Sawyer

Two Trax,

Welcome.  I, too, was retired when I bought my low-hour (5) B20 in 2009.  I bought it with similar intentions and, once the word got out, I have been busier every year.  I am the only mobile, bandsaw mill in about 18,000 square miles - I am as busy as I want to be.  As mentioned, there are a bunch of B20 owners still out here, if you have questions just ask, or PM.  Call Timberking and give them your serial number.  They may be able to tell you what parts have been ordered for your mill, and send you an operator's manual.  Most importantly, they'll treat you like family and help you any way they can, even if you weren't the first one to own that mill.

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Crossroads

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your new venture 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Two Trax

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Thecfarm, I have 2 tractors with loaders, a 4700 John Deere 4wd, 48hp, and a C80L Mcormick which is 80 hp 4wd. Have a Farmi skidding winch which is a tremendous help. In addition I built a 3 point cart which in addition to the loader bucket enables me to get out a bit more than 3/4 of a cord if it is loaded right.
Livin the dream!

Two Trax

Quote from: Lko67 on October 21, 2018, 09:15:04 AM
Welcome to the forum from another pa Sawyer. Lots of good info here and very helpful and friendly people
Well Lko67, you are just out the road from me, I live in Sweet Valley.
Livin the dream!

crowhill

Welcome to the forum Two Trax, and congrats on the purchase of your   B-20. I too bought a low hour B-20 in 2002 just to use for a few small projects for our extended family. But recently has kept me pretty busy in the local area. I have had no major issues with the mill and most all my questions have been answered by reading the forum. Nearly all the milling questions seem relevant to all mills at one time or another. Lots of knowledge on these pages! 

Russel
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Two Trax and Marco!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tylerltr450

Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Wallydawg

Welcome to the forum. I too also just acquired a B-20 to replace a 1400 manual. The 1400 is great, but somebody 20-30 years younger needs it worse than me. ;D Mike @ TimberKing is your new best friend and will treat you right. As everyone on the forum says, which is true, sawdust fever will infect you. Good luck and work safe.
They say I'm lazy, but it takes all my time. - Joe Walsh -
Timberking B-20

Thank You Sponsors!