iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Timed out when posting

Started by John Mc, March 25, 2010, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

In the past several days, I've had a number of occasions when I type a reply here on FF, then hit "post". I'm taken to a blank reply form and I get an error message saying my session has timed out, and that the subject line was blank along (it was not blank, at least not until I clicked post and it took me to the blank reply form).

If hit the back button on my browser, my post is there, but it will not register the click if I hit "post" again. Some times logging out, then logging back in again takes care of the problem, and I can post normally.

I'm not sure where the "timed out" message is coming from, since when I log in I always check the "keep me logged in" box. My internet connection has been rather slow lately - would that be at all related? Maybe "session has timed out" is not the same thing as my login expiring?

I don't have the actual error message text, but will post that next time it happens.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

okie

That has happened to me several times, cause being that I type slow and take a while to post. Now, if I see that it has taken me a while to type my post, I click and drag to highlight the whole post and right click to copy, then if it shows that I've timed out I go back to the post in which I was replying or posting to and all I have to do is right click and paste my previously typed post. Don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but me but it's what I do...My better half taught it to me  ;)
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

John Mc

Going back has not worked for me... but I'm only hitting the back arrow once, to get back to the place I was originally typing (and it still shows all that I've typed on that page). If I click "post" again, it just sits there (maybe this is some sort of protection against people accidentally hitting the post button twice?)

Are you going back further than that? Maybe back to the topic itself and hitting reply again?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

okie

Sorry, I don't use the back function, I return to the thread through the main page just as if it were the first time I was attempting to post. I do it this way for the same reason you mentioned.
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Jeff

It really sounds like a slow internet connection. As far as I know, everything is ok here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

My internet service has been up and down several times in the past week.  Firefox and IE both say unavailable or something like that.  A half hour later it's OK.....and I'm not on dialup.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

There has recently been a lot of strange multicast traffic (called SAP storms) in certain parts of the Internet that has been causing havoc in various locations.  I'm not saying this is definitely the cause of the issues you guys have been seeing but it might be.  Especially if your ISP was not configured for it.

Everything has been working great for me here at the forum but I haven't been on a lot the last few days.  Have been dealing with some of the above mentioned SAP storms.

DanG

John, I've had that same thing happen to me a number of times.  When you hit "back" and can see the text you typed, highlight it and copy it using the "edit" button.  Then you can open a new post window and just copy it in.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

John Mc

It looks as though the problem has cleared up. My posts are going through OK now (though I do seem to have lost a couple of posts that I thought had gone through... they were not there the next day.)

Dang - when I was having the trouble, I did try the back button, and cut and paste. On at least some occasions, this only seemed to work if I copied the text, logged out of FF, then logged back in again and started from scratch.

All is well now. Maybe the SAP storms Warbird mentioned have stopped? (I know the maple sap has passed its peak, if not stopped entirely in our area  ;D )

DanG

I never had to log out of the forum, just opened it again in a second window.  Sometimes, something in an individual computer will just be incompatible with something on a certain site, but affect no other sites.  I had a problem like that with my last 'puter only when I went to a certain fishing forum I frequent.  It went away when I switched computers.  Come to think of it, the time-out probs I had here were on that same computer, and I haven't had them since I switched either.  Also, Jeff just switched servers, so the incompatibility could have been between your computer and the old server.  Anything is possible, but I doubt if it was maple sap. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."