iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

venison sausige

Started by graydawn, November 11, 2011, 07:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

graydawn

does anyone have a recipe for venison sausage

Texas Ranger

First, you kill a deer, then, hopefully, a hog.  After that,  your pretty much on your own.  Lots of variety, lots of folks do their own, but most now take to a processor.  Finding a good processor can be a problem.  Spicing is a big thing, and your taste varies. 

In other words, no help here.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kansas

Never made any, but I have been thinking about trying to make some breakfast sausage out of the ground venison in the freezer. Here is one site. Wonder how that lowfat venison breakfast sausage would be.

http://www.free-venison-recipes.com/lowfat-venison-breakfast-sausage.html

zopi

I don't have a recipe per se, I usually grind in 20% pork fat salt, pepper sage garlic amd red pepper for breakfast sausage...

But if you use a standard recipe for breakfast  sausage, just be sure to add fat to the venison.

Also...do a google search for trail balogna...good stuff there.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Norm

I'd take a standard sausage recipe and substitute half of the pork with venison. Now I've never made it so this is just a guess, let us know how yours turns out.

LeeB

That's about what I do Norm. I love making my own sausage. A lot of work but you get something with real flavor and no BS in it.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CHARLIE

In Minnesota and Wisconsin, when someone says deer sausage, it is more like a summer sausage than a breakfast sausage.  I know the venison is mixed with pork but as for the spices used I don't have the foggiest idea.  Most of the deer processors have their own recipes.

I checked on Google and found these two sites:

This one is a recipe - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/summer-sausage-2/detail.aspx

This site is a bunch of recipes - http://www.free-venison-recipes.com/venison-summer-sausage-recipes.html

Good luck! Venison Sausage (the summer sausage version) is great with thick slices or Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese 'n Crackers.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

bugdust

Round these parts we make our sausage in patties. Usually mix vension with pork sausage, or substitute pork with bacon. Since this is the first year with bacon I think most like the pork sausage addition. Kinda looks like a big-o Jimmy Dean patty.  digin_2
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Norm

This question was asked on a cooking forum I belong to. Here's one response.

60% venison..15% beef...15% pork....10% tallow (beef and/or/pork)...once its cased/cooked/smoked...let it dry for 48-120 hr.s...wipe off the casings as you do...
this'll make it harder/dryer...more like a salami, albeit moist and softer.

Buck

I like 60/40 ratio on mine venison and pork. I also use TexJoy old fashioned sausage seasoning to taste. on breakfast sausage I add some brown sugar.  A friend gave me a recipe I haven't yet tried. Mule and rabbit sausage. 50/50 ratio. One mule to one rabbit. ;D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

thecfarm

That is some sausage there LeeB. That looks good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

Hopefully I will have time to get a deer or two when I get home. Lot's of irons in the fire this time. I've got a steer and a hog to slaughter too. Will be making more sausage for sure. We go through it pretty quick. Making my own is the only way I can find sausage spiced to suite me where we live now. My daughter calls it the land of the bland.  :D  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

Should of asked in my other reply,about how many pounds you make a year? Does it depend on what you shoot?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

Do you do your own butchering Lee?

LeeB

CF, we probably do 30-60 lbs a year. When I say we, i'm including my neighbor. The pigs are a joint venture between us. He keeps them and I buy the feed.

Norm, We butcher the hogs ourselves but not the beef. Haven't gotten that brave yet. A hog is a big enough job in itself for me. I can do ok getting the cuts I want from a hog but wouldn't have clue how to slice and dice a beef toget the steaks and what have you. I suppose about the same as a deer or a hog, just bigger.

iffy

The dad of my high school best friend was a meat cutter. We did all our own butchering at home, and I was always intrigued by the various names of the cuts I saw in stores. I asked the dad if he could teach me to properly cut meat, since he had been to butcher's school. He told me that all they teach in school was how to hide the biggest bone with the smallest amount of meat.  :D He said I just needed to get the carcass cut up into useable size pieces, and slice it cross grain for tenderness. If it looked like a steak, must be a steak. If it looked like a roast, must be a roast. Everything else got ground up, unless it was a hog, and we would take hams and bacon out of it. Since that was what we were already doing, he got out of teaching me anything. 8)

CLL

TO make hamburger I use about 4# of cured bacon for one deer, makes yummy hamburger patties.
Too much work-not enough pay.

sandhills

Quote from: CLL on November 18, 2011, 10:49:23 PM
TO make hamburger I use about 4# of cured bacon for one deer, makes yummy hamburger patties.
I like that idea I'll have to try it, if I get a deer.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!