iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Faster UP for older woodmizers

Started by pineywoods, August 23, 2007, 07:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I looked into upgrading my electrical/hydraulic system to match a super a few years ago.

the alternator and battery are bigger to supply the needed power.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pineywoods

The single spring mod helps a bunch, but the 2 spring version is even better. More lift and it's more consistent across the full range. Another thing I noticed is it's a bunch easier to stop on the mark when dropping down...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

I'll most likely end up adding another spring.

Probably just go buy 2, then they'll be of the same tension.

Thanks again Piney
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

VictorH

I was looking at doing this mod to my mill as well.  I have a 95 and it has an external alternator.  I have looked at springs at the local ACE and they have several sizes and are rated for different weights/loads.  I realize you both used springs from your 'piles' but if you could tell me the length and diameter of the springs you guys used I could compare that with what's on the shelf.  I'm also interested in people's opinions on which safety measure would be better.  A cable run through the spring or a piece of PVC around the spring?
Thanks
Victor

Chuck White

Victor, I just used a regular overhead garage door spring.

In the 3rd pic, the spring is double it's relaxed length.

I think that the cable ran down through the length of the spring is just as good as any other safety device.

The primary thing you would normally be concerned with, is pieces of the spring going flying in the event it breaks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sumday

Victor, you might try calling the local garage door company/companies and see if they have used springs from doors they have replaced. Might get them free or at least cheaper than new from Ace.

pineywoods

The 2 springs I used came off an 8 ft wood overhead door. The door was replaced with a metal one, I liberated all the hardware including the defunct electric door opener...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

ladylake

No pics but i mounted a torsion garage spring on mine which was fairly easy.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

trapper

Good idea with the spring.  On my lt30 where your bracket goes in the top of the post is where my water bottle mounts.  Where does your water bottle mount?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chuck White

trapper; My water bottle and gas tank both mount on the (black) shelf that has the wrenches laying on it, right near the top of the sawdust chute in the 3rd pic!

trapper

My shelf is only big enough for the gas tank. Need to find a place for the water bottle.
Maybe where I dont have to  lift so high to fill it and maybe a smaller water bottle.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

jmouton

I  got a question  for ya,   I have a older lt25 manual  ,does it help  with the manual up and down ,cuz   I  did it to my mill  and it didnt help  , think the garage door spring isnt heavy enough , how thick is the coil stock  of the spring  and how long  is it relaxed  , it would be nice  if the cranking up was better 

thanks alot          jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Chuck White

The spring helps to lift the sawhead!

The spring takes a lot of the strain off of the up/dn motor and both up and down now opperate more smoothly!

Chuck White

I just went out and took measurements on the spring I put on my mill!

Relaxed spring length:  31 inches
Extended spring length:65 inches
Diameter of the spring: 1¾inches
Diameter of the spring material: 1/8 inch

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Magicman

Ole school bus drivers walk slow.   smiley_old_guy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

pineywoods

This simple upgrade has been in place for quite some time and has served me well. After some problems with the up/down motor, I started thinking about the possibility of a larger faster motor. The original is sandwiched between the brake band and head support column, so there's not enough room for a much larger motor. What about the starter motor off the lawnmower? About the same size, but 4 poles instead of 2 so should be twice the torque.. worth a try. Dis-assembled the starter, lifted 2 brush leads from frame ground and routed them out through a hole drilled in the end plate. The slots for the mounting bolts had to be lengthened a bit, and I used a slightly larger v-belt pulley cause that's what I had. Otherwise, pretty much a bolt on operation. Hooked the power leads to the wires from the old motor and hit the up/down switch...WWHHHOOOO BOY, this thing is FAST. About 3 times the speed of the original motor. Looks like factory

Bandmill Bandit

Hey Piney woods
That a real great idea. What model of starter motor did you use? Could you post the specs for us?
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

pineywoods

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on August 07, 2016, 11:38:49 AM
Hey Piney woods
That a real great idea. What model of starter motor did you use? Could you post the specs for us?
Junk yard special. It came off a 10 hp tecumseh on a junked riding mower..No markings of any kind..One drawback, which I kinda figured on, is the 15 amp alternator under the flywheel won't quite keep up, so I hook up a battery charger at night..I need to install an automotive belt driven alternator.. another project  ::)

Kbeitz

Almost all 10 hp tecumseh starters are the same...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!