iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do I charge sales tax on firewood?

Started by Timberwerks, July 31, 2004, 05:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberwerks

I assume no but thought I'd better check here.

Dale

GHRoberts

I stand corrected.

The answer appears to be YES if the firewood is used as fuel in a residence.

Rocky_J

It depends on your state laws. Sales taxes are state taxes, not Federal taxes. OK and WI do not necessarily have the same tax laws. You need to get your answer from someone familiar with WI sales tax laws.

beenthere

Unless you are selling to a wholesaler, who is going to collect the sales tax from the end user, I strongly suspect that you are responsible for collecting and turning in the WI State Sales Tax of 5%.
Some information here.

http://www.dor.state.wi.us/faqs/pcs/diff.html

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Timberwerks

It's a good thing I checked here. I though that since I get the wood free I shouldn't charge tax. I'll check into this with my accoutant on Monday.

Thanks
Dale

J_T

Jim Holloway

Quartlow

QuoteSome prefer CASH ;D

My absolutely most postivley favorite lovingly said 4 letter word!!!

8) 8) 8)
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

bull

>:( No !!!!   There is no tax on "fuel" for the purpose of residential heating,firewood is heating "Fuel" !!!!!

Lorax

Bull is correct - if you want to see it in writing, check out page 23 in the following publication  

http://www.dor.state.wi.us/pubs/02pb201.pdf

beenthere

Lorax
Thanks for that tip. I thought only "food" was exempt in WI.  Not so, as you point out.

Thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Timberwerks

Thanks for the help everyone. Thanks for the link Lorax.

Dale

Cedarman

Now, lets see if I've got this right. If I were in Wisconsin and sold my lumber as firewood, there would be no sales tax. Can I help it if the customer does not burn it and uses it for something else.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!