iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not Quitting but Slowing Down

Started by Magicman, July 01, 2021, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

DR_Buck recent post prompted me to share some of what is/has been going on with my sawing profile. 

It's well known that I do not (have not) refused any sawing job regardless of the location as long as the customer was paying.  As a result of that, the fact is, my business has outgrown my capability. 

I guess that it is our nature to keep on keeping on, but Mother Nature and Father Time also keeps on.  I will turn 78 in a couple of weeks so I made a decision on June 15th to trim back.  I notified 11 customers (~40Mbf) that, due to health reasons, I would not be able to saw their logs.  8 of these jobs were passed off to a local sawyer, and FF member, that I had briefly communicated with but had never met.  Going forward I will not accept any job over ~50 miles away that is not a "one day job".  I have that one 106 mile away job that I did not finish because of the loader fire and I will finish it if/when the customer calls.

Quitting and selling out would be an option but I'm still generating more sawing income each year than the sawmill's selling price.  The sawmill and my website could easily put the right person in business, but that ain't happening.  My/our long range plan had been for (Son) Marty to take over the sawing, but his startup construction company is doing well enough to remove that option.

Sooo, my plan is to hopefully trim back to 2-3 days every 2-3 weeks which was my original plan to begin with.  Yes, this considerably reduces our income and some of our activities, but it was never a matter of if, but when?  When is now.  smiley_wavy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I'm sorry to see a change needed, but glad you are able to recognize that a change is needed and make it happen. I hope you get to spend a lot more time with family going forward. You've inspired many of my business practices, thank you!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

doc henderson

should give you more quality time with your beautiful family.  I have worked since the age of 13 and often feel I am owed a bit of childhood.   :)  Good for you.  now you can start making some of those jumps you signed up for at the senior parachute club!   :o  I am nothing but happy for you.  If you do not decide at some point, the decision will be made for you.  God bless you and your family.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

I understand and hope and trust this decision works out well for you and your family. I knew you had posted in the past that you had hoped your son and, I gather, grandsons might take over and continue the business and I still have my fingers crossed this happens if it is best for you and them.

Maybe the next step is to open/expand into "Knothole Lumber Consulting and Training" and you and Miz Pat can ramble the USA (World?) training new sawyers and teaching experienced sawyers how to improve their sawing.

The guys in Liberia are also looking for missionaries to come help train their team members on how to best use and maintain their WM equipment. Good luck on this decision and keep us well posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

69bronco

Sounds like a good plan Lynn! My father used to say( your dead a long time). Enjoy!

tacks Y

Hope you enjoy your semi-retirement 8)

I have also worked many hours since young and when my children were growing up. Now with Grand kids i take time off, change diapers and baby sit. I AM HAVING A BLAST and still working just not as much.

Have fun with your time off. 

Sixacresand

I suspect in your future 2-3 days  every 2-3 weeks, you will mill more than most of us.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Resonator

Congrats on your decision, you have definitely earned some "free time". You are an inspiration to us "youngsters", and hope to build my business to be as successful as yours is. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

sealark37

It is an acknowledged fact that a worker who shows up, does good work, and serves his customer, will soon have more work than he can cover.  This is true, regardless of age.  Your first responsibility is to yourself and your family.  Making the work fit your own needs is simply good management.  Your plan is a good one.  Rock On!

maple flats

I fully understand your decision.
Back just 4 yrs ago, I thought I'd still be going strong until I got to my early 80's. I was judging by my dad. He went strong until 87 before he slowed down. Then in 2018 I was diagnosed with kidney cancer, and had successful surgery, but the sit and do nothing for 6 full weeks Doctor's order caused me to come out of it at about half speed. I used to walk rather fast, since then I can't even push myself to walk fast, even though I try often.
I'm only 74, currently in quite good health, but working more than 3 hrs at a time does me in, just 4 yrs ago I often worked 6-7 hrs, had lunch break and worked another 6 or 7 hrs. Age cought up with me, I've slowed but I still am trying to do most of what I did in the recent past, it just takes me 3 days to do what I did in 1 as recently as 4 yrs ago.
Just listen closely to your body.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Stephen1

A Great decision you will not regret. 
you still get to saw and get to enjoy some free time.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

pineywoods

Good call MM. Me too, I just turned 85 it's time for me. Some time back I started refering saw jobs to a good sawyer friend. Now I'm finding that I can no longer tolerate the heat.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Percy

Maybe have time for another visit 🤓

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

terrifictimbersllc

Lynn, your announcement gives us all a pause for reflecting on what's important. Wish you the best in the adjustment. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mike_belben

Theres more to life than work folks.  Get your moneys worth out of good health before work spends it all up on ya. 

Good for you scaling back lynn. 
Praise The Lord

jb616

I think at 78 you've deserved a slow down :).   I will always look to your contributions here on the forum and hey, who knows, you might be able to take the time to share some How To videos with us newbies. Best of health to you and your family! 

brianJ

It is a wise man that makes life-changing decisions rather than waiting until life forces those decisions.

taylorsmissbeehaven

Congratulations Lynn! I am very happy and excited for you to have some time. You have done a lot of sawing and were kind enough share your wisdom and experience with all of us. I really appreciate that and wish you the very best. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

trimguy

Shoot, I thought all you did was sit under the umbrella and ride back and forth drinking sweet tea.  :D :D :D No, really , well deserved break, enjoy the free time and thanks for all your knowledge you share.

WV Sawmiller

Trim,

Now that you mention it seems the MagicMan posts almost as many pictures of food his customers feed him as he does lumber he has cut. I've been trying to get a good look at his mill from all angles to see if he has a "Will work for food" sticker stuck on it somewhere. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

slider

Lynn i m 71 and go almost as hard as you do but i m slowing down and picking my jobs . My wife said  while back to sell my lt70 sell my self loader ,sell my skid steer, sell my tree service equipment , 75 ft forestry bucket and f350 and 20 ft dump and just stop. I will some day but not yet. i am glad you made your decision ,if i make your age i will be right with you.

I still saw but the tree service keeps me thinkin

Stay on the forum.
al glenn

KenMac

May God continue to bless you and your family immensely in your next phase of life!!  By all means please continue to share your wisdom and knowledge with us on the FF.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

dgdrls

smiley_thumbsup!  gonna be great Lynn!

Congratulations

D

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on July 01, 2021, 08:48:10 AM
Lynn,

I understand and hope and trust this decision works out well for you and your family. I knew you had posted in the past that you had hoped your son and, I gather, grandsons might take over and continue the business and I still have my fingers crossed this happens if it is best for you and them.

Maybe the next step is to open/expand into "Knothole Lumber Consulting and Training" and you and Miz Pat can ramble the USA (World?) training new sawyers and teaching experienced sawyers how to improve their sawing.

The guys in Liberia are also looking for missionaries to come help train their team members on how to best use and maintain their WM equipment. Good luck on this decision and keep us well posted.
Lynn,
    I know this comes bittersweet.  I like it that I can work and stop when I want to, or go visit my daughter and Grand daughter.  So keep going in your slow down.  Maybe you can open up Knothole Tailgunners Training School!
                   hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

sawmilllawyer

Good on you, Lynn, I have had the pleasure of reading your sage advice and marveled in your wisdom. As Clint Eastwood would say, "A man has to know his limitations." Best of everything in this new phase of your life. Do not become a couch potato, I really don't think there are any worries there. Enjoy life a little more I don't know of anyone who while lying on their deathbed said, "Gee, I wished I had worked a little harder. 8)
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Thank You Sponsors!