iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beware of rotting frames on 2011 to 2021 Chevy Silverados

Started by 21incher, September 23, 2021, 01:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I bought a new 2018 1500 Silverado about  3 years ago and a couple  months  ago noticed black flakes of undercoating on the garage floor. At first  I thought  it was Ziebart related but turned out they don't  touch  the wax frame coating.  At 2 1/2 years and 6500 miles the frame was badly rusted and coating falling off. My 13 year old F350 this replaced had less rust then this. Chevy has a TSB about  this issue and seing  how it was under 3 years old agreed  to repair it. Seems they removed a washing process before the wax dip. It took over 2 months  for my dealer  to get the chemicals and coatings required  for the repair and it went in Monday morning.  Well they are still working on it. It is so bad the bed and mount desert package had to be removed and they are still not sure about the cab. Never expected  this with  a 65k truck but it appears to happen often. So if you have a fairly new Silverado be sure to inspect the frame before  the 3 year warranty runs out. The wax coating will flake right off and serious rust can be hidden behind it. If you are buying  used in this year range also take a good look at the frame. Just want to warn others still in the warranty period. They won't  fix older ones so just check they don't have the problem before buying one. Should have stuck with Ford.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

VB-Milling

Ouch, that's terrible.  At least they are fixing it under warranty in your case.
HM126

Tom King

My '01 3500 frame is still almost as good as new, but that truck gets parked in a shed, and doesn't go on the road if they are going to put salt, or brine down.  It does have 357,00 miles on it.  I'm having a harder time feeling like getting a new one the more I hear about newer ones.

It not only doesn't take DEF, it doesn't have a catalytic converter, or even an EGR system.  It was the last year before all that stuff started piling up.

SwampDonkey

I have 12 year warranty on the frame of my 2014 Tacoma. 8) They did an inspection on it this year and did a fresh undercoating, no charge. It's not drove much in winter. Most miles is warm weather and salt free.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

21incher

This one spent it's whole life in my garage and only went out on a handful of snowy days. Up here it's an ag district so they only can use sand so it doesn't  seem to be caused by that. The rust is actually  sealed under the wax coating on much of the frame so it must be caused by something used for manufacturing sealed in by the wax. From the pictures  I have seen  either you have this issue on the whole frame or you don't.  I lost the lottery.  
Just got a call they sold the loaner car I am using and they are sending  out another Silverado to replace  it tomorrow. The local dealers have no stock.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

HemlockKing

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 23, 2021, 04:17:50 PM
I have 12 year warranty on the frame of my 2014 Tacoma. 8) They did an inspection on it this year and did a fresh undercoating, no charge. It's not drove much in winter. Most miles is warm weather and salt free.
Same here, and they sprayed the inside of my frame as well. I guess the newer ones are also having rust issues.
A1

Southside

Toyota either bought back or installed a lot of frames on pickups a few years ago. You would think the other mfg's would learn from events like this.

No plans to ever sell my '06 LBZ. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ed

The Chevy frame rot goes all the way back to 88, first year after the "square body" trucks.
Gen 2 Dodge Dakota's have the same issues.

A friend just parted out a beat 99 Chevy half ton ext cab. The frame broke on the hoist, when he set it down, the top of the box was pushing against the cab.
Newest I've seen break is an 02, 2wd regular cab. Low mile truck that lived outside its whole life.

Ed

SwampDonkey

Quote from: 21incher on September 23, 2021, 05:55:33 PM
Up here it's an ag district so they only can use sand so it doesn't  seem to be caused by that.
They have to put salt mixed in the sand or you would get sand boulders. :D  All country (rural) roads here are sanded, but it's mixed with salt.

Owned an '87 GMC S15, after 10 years it was totally rotted out and not high miles. Well under 200,000 miles (not km). The bed on the back was ready to fall off. The square tube frame under it was shot. :D

I see a lot of real old vehicles people are videoing and using, but they are also very low miles and bought used. Old Bernstein's M37 is well  below 100,00 and got it used when it had only 5,000 miles.

Mom's uncle would buy a new vehicle and it would hardly leave the garage. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jb616

Spraying off the underside a few times in the winter and especially the spring goes a long ways. Trying to keep dirt from accumulating in the frame. I have a '91 GMC that is just fine yet. Lately I've watched some interesting stuff on Youtube. These guys spray off the underside, let it dry, and spray on Fluid Film or a new product from PB Blaster called Surface Shield. You need to reapply every year or two but they had a 4 year old vehicle in the rust belt with no rust on the underside. Fluid Film is available in aerosol or 1gallon and 5 gallon buckets. Surface Shield will be coming out with the bulk product soon but currently has aerosol only. These also work well if you spray it into your doors, rockers, and insides of wheel wells as they have a penetrating feature as well. They both have tested far better than plain old drain oil which is what I used for years on my '91. Most often the traditional undercoats like "Z" are detrimental and actually hold moisture in and rot the frame quicker. Aerosol undercoating is no good either as it doesn't last. 

21incher

SwampDonkey I was told all they use is coarse sand and no problems  using it. We have thousands of acres of muck land for crops that anything else would contaminate them. The sand can really  make a dry road slippery so it may not be the best solution.  
It's  hard to stop rust like  this coming from behind the wax coating. Nothing  would penetrate  it . The only  way to stop it is strip the wax off the frame to expose  it all then chemically  treat it and apply a new coating. I wonder  if its really  caused by bad batches of Chinese steel contaminated with something  corrosive because  not all vehicles see it.

Resonator

Many municipalities use a blend of salt and sand when temps are around zero. Salt will melt into the ice, and the sand will refreeze on the ice overnight and leave a grit for traction. One of the worst things (for rusting vehicles) is the brine or beet juice they apply as it splashes into every nook and cranny.
As far as steel goes, the mills will test the steel as it is being made for quality. Each batch will have a test certificate showing grade, dimensions, chemical property, hardness, etc. So if GM was using material that met manufacturing specs, I doubt the steel itself would be contaminated.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

SwampDonkey

Quote from: 21incher on September 24, 2021, 12:54:05 PM
SwampDonkey I was told all they use is coarse sand and no problems  using it. We have thousands of acres of muck land for crops that anything else would contaminate them.
Never seen anyone fuss about salt off roads contaminating their fields. That's a new one. ;)  Here it is just plain old top soil where maple forests grew. We have farm fields of most any size you can come up with. Could be 5 acres or 500+ acres without a bush standing.

Hmm, You've got to keep the sand from making hard masses so it can be spread. Wet sand will freeze up.

barbender

Although I haven't heard of it being an issue for agricultural fields, salinification dur to toad salt is becoming an issue in some areas if MN, mostly lakes around our Metro areas. I hate road salt.
Too many irons in the fire

jimbarry

I got a 2011 Silverado 2500HD ext cab. I took pictures when I bought it shiny new on Halloween Day 2010. I will get some camera angles and take comparable pictures tomorrow. I drive it year round here. Its got 146,000km on it to date. Mostly hwy travel. Road crews use brine the last 5-6 years. Sure it's rusty underneath. And every other year hose out from around the rear end and under the cab. I use to undercoat it every year, haven't done it in a couple years.  Surface rust is just starting to show around wheel wells. The doors are my worry. I am starting to see little bubbles show up. Scratch them off and there's rust underneath. A paint car guy told be Chev's are famous for their door skins falling away due to rust. Not looking forward to that. Been wanting this summer to get a soda blaster kit and do some touch ups with a paint match rattle can. Time never seems to be on my side. Last quote I got pre-covid from a local collision place they wanted $3500.00.  :o

Bradm

Calcium chloride will eat up frames and body panels faster than salt.  Had the wheel wells on my last truck go from chipped paint and mild rust to no steel left in less than 2 weeks after going down a recently sprayed back road.

Ron Wenrich

They replaced my 2005 Tacoma frame 2 yrs ago.  It wouldn't pass inspection.  Cost was free.  It took a month, but at that price, I wasn't complaining.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ed_K

When I was working for the highway dept here in town I talked the boss into trying 3/8 stone like they use to recoat tar roads. It's still being used on the dirt roads in town and a few other town are using it also.
 I had to buy a new to me 2010 dodge 1500 because the 05 gmc wouldn't pass inspection in 2020. In 2015 the frame was in great condition but needed a new fuel pump replaced along with $3500. in new rocker panels, cab corners and body work on the bed. While the bed was off I had the body shop spray the whole under side with fluid film. In 3 yrs the film was peeling off with chunks of metal frame coming off with it.
 The 2010 dodge came from Oklahoma and the frame still looks new so I'm going to keep it sprayed with hydro oil every fall. A lot of old car we've had over the yrs were sprayed with used motor oil and the frames lasted longer than the running gear.
Ed K

21incher

Quote from: Ed_K on September 26, 2021, 07:39:38 AM
When I was working for the highway dept here in town I talked the boss into trying 3/8 stone like they use to recoat tar roads. It's still being used on the dirt roads in town and a few other town are using it also.
I had to buy a new to me 2010 dodge 1500 because the 05 gmc wouldn't pass inspection in 2020. In 2015 the frame was in great condition but needed a new fuel pump replaced along with $3500. in new rocker panels, cab corners and body work on the bed. While the bed was off I had the body shop spray the whole under side with fluid film. In 3 yrs the film was peeling off with chunks of metal frame coming off with it.
The 2010 dodge came from Oklahoma and the frame still looks new so I'm going to keep it sprayed with hydro oil every fall. A lot of old car we've had over the yrs were sprayed with used motor oil and the frames lasted longer than the running gear.
That sounds like what they use here and call coarse sand. It looks to be between 1/8 and 3/8 diameter. Boy it is like driving on marbles when the snow melts.

Just for reference this is what my truck looks like

They sold the first loaner and had a salesman drive out to pick it up and replaced the loaner with a brand new Silverado that looks similar to mine but it definitely does not ride or drive like mine. They seem to have removed weight and its a bouncy ride compared to the smooth ride on the older one I have. The 5.3 in this just doesn't sound good compared to my 6.2, It really seems to be working hard compared to the 6.2 just loafing along. I definitely would not buy a 2021. They can't keep cars on the lot and are using new vehicles for loaners.

They have over a week of labor in mine already, chemicals, body shop charges to remove the bed , and a week of loaners with no end date yet. I am getting nervous now if the cab must come off next. This is costing Chevy a bunch and hopefully its put back together right. Dealer said they have never seen one so bad and hope they don't see more like it.

snowstorm

Since I am one of the guys that puts the salt on the roads this is what I do to keep rust at bay. If the paint on the frame is bad recount whith sw dura plate. It seems to bettter than most. On the fords pull the plastic behind the seat and spray with fluid flim. That will coat the inside of the cab corners. Same with the cover at the door sill and the door drains. Then I use used hydraulic oil inside the fenders frame everywhere. Do it in the fall and again in the spring. If calcium is used on your roads do all of the above and do not was the truck till snow season is over. Any moisture will reactivate the calcium same with parking it in a warm garage . Here some use salt brine to preset salt or salt sand. I do not but do have one truck set up for it. Salt dose not do anything till it gets wet. It needs traffic or sun. Prewetting helps make a brine quicker. Sand salt if any amount of traffic at 40 mph will be gone in a half hr. Even if put down the center. It moves out. Every yr I ask the town for more salt. I know everyone says it rusts there cars but has also saved a lot of lives. It's always quicker to melt the ice from the bottom up than the top down. That's why I pre sand when it first starts snowing.

beav

Road salt also teaches drivers it's ok to go 70mph when it's raining and 29° outside.

Southside

There is nothing wrong with going 70 in the rain at 29 degrees. Stopping or turning on the other hand...  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

snowstorm

with enough salt and traffic it will stay lucid. down into the 20,s 

moodnacreek

Once the rust starts you have to spray on some kind of oil at least once a year to slow down the rust. I have been doing this and more on a '71 and a '91 f 350's for years and they are both sound.

farmfromkansas

The frame on my 04 Chevy 2500 is rusty, has no coating at all.  Seems driving it down a gravel road keeps the rust worn off.  Knew about the older Tacomas having rust problems on their frames, so bought a newer one, 14 as well as all the others on the forum.  Have not noticed any frame rust yet.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!