The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: no more made in china?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: no more made in china?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2021, 04:03:11 PM »
You can get surprised using familiar names .A few years back I landed about 3/4 of a ton of slightly rusted 3/8"  log chain from TSC for 50 dollars .About squashed my Ranger pick up .So I needed chain hooks and I bought a lot of 20 from flea bay .Campbell -Hausfeld . Used to made USA ,surprise surprise now came from China . I got them made up eventually into 12 feet chains but would need at least that many more to use it all up .You can certainly amass a lot of stuff in a life time of dumpster diving . :D

Online hedgerow

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »
If your wanting some made in the US jeans Google up round house jeans. Been wearing them ten years of so and love them. They are made of heavy material and last. 

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2021, 05:05:50 PM »
Prison Blues. Made on the inside for life on the outside.
The First 60 some years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2021, 10:12:47 AM »
My story has a little different angle.  Years ago, I ordered a right hand drive Subaru station wagon for use on a mail route.  The dealership had promised delivery on a certain date.  I was wrenching daily (it seemed) on two old mail Jeeps to keep my girlfriend operational.  After several different missed delivery dates, I called the dealership for an update on a timeframe.  I got a new excuse this time........."It's hung up in Customs".   Okay.......so about a week later, I get a call from the dealership.  "Your car is here".  We head up there to pick it up...........There was a big banner across the windshield......."Proudly Made By The United Auto Workers Union, Lafayette, Indiana".  Yep, hung up in Customs alright.  Come up with a better lie next time.   :D :D

Wud
“You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can’t kill the spirit of patriots and when they’ve had enough this madness will end.”
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
Whe I was in the helicopter industry I would only accept Crosby-Laughlin rigging from a reputable supplier for that reason. Yes, it cost more and I got flack from purchasing but it would only take one lost load or a serious injury or death to make it pay for itself. We saw a lot of cheap imitations.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 01:05:44 PM »
FWIW most of my heavy rigging is in fact Crosby .Perks of the job so to speak  ;)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2021, 08:43:30 PM »
A few years back I landed about 3/4 of a ton of slightly rusted 3/8"  log chain from TSC for 50 dollars    
I would like to know how you paid $50 for that much chain??  :o
Talk about being at the right place at the right time!!!!
10 feet almost cost that much now!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2021, 06:48:26 AM »
TSC does not mess around.  if it is on clearance, ask a manger.  they want stuff gone.  I got 82 feet of half inch chain at 10 cents on the dollar years ago.  eat your breakfast before you use that.   :)
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2021, 07:05:37 AM »
It was between Christmas and New Years and I think they just wanted to be rid of it .Being rusty they could not sell it .I just threw a figure at the store manager and he jumped on it .That stuff had been outside for two weeks covered with snow. A lot of that chain they had used to chain together mowers ,log splitters etc on display out of doors to deter theft .As such it most likely was taken off inventory and for all I know could have been just a cash deal .Which is exactly what it was . One of those chains was 50 feet long and still is ,I never cut it . I actually used it to recover a big log once and pull out a stuck bucket truck from the mud in addition to about 4 or5 other chains .That thing is heavy . 

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2021, 07:17:23 AM »
Okay now a story about my junk .It's seldom not a question of if but rather where is it at .Years ago ,about 40 I bought a 1954 Oliver OC-6 crawler tractor ,gasoline engine  for about junk prices .I worked and restored everything from the track rollers up over the years then it sat for 14 years not used .The gear reduction starter ,which is for the diesel version the solder came loose on the field windings .I had another one, direct drive the fields were the same and it used a different brush holder to get reverse rotation for the two to one reduction .It was about a half hour deal and I had a good starter .A new unit is over 300 dollars, I had 20 bucks in it .--junk yard dawg thing --- 8)  

Offline newoodguy78

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2021, 10:07:54 AM »
Best part of that story is you found it when you needed it :D

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2021, 05:25:41 PM »
That's a good deal on chain!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2021, 07:46:00 PM »
Old joke about heavy chain. You have to drag it because you certainly can't push it .

Offline Resonator

• Senior Member x2
  • Board Footage and Cord Woodage
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2021, 10:14:51 PM »
Couple years back one of the big excavator guys on youtube used a Cat 336E to lift and move an old abandoned wood railroad bridge, dangling from a chain. The chain amazingly held together (though it nearly broke in multiple places), and when he was done the links had deformed so much they became one solid piece. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »
I managed to sink a D4 Cat in a creek  so deep the fan was blowing water on me .I had a 3/8" chain around the blade with a 6 part line using snatch blocks to the winch of a Chevy wrecker anchored to another small  dozer .It pulled that chain so tight you could drive it into the ground  like a fence post .Never broke a link but the chain was junk .The little dozer could not even budge it ,just spun the tracks . 9200 pounds trying to tug 14,800 pounds .

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2021, 05:14:09 PM »
I got a deal at Tractor Supply about  10 years ago. They were replacing western, Meyers, and Fisher plow parts with Chinese versions.  They put all the name brand parts in 2 carts. A $1 and 2$ cart. I got a basket full of plow skids marked $35 a set for a dollar each, hoses for $1 and the fiberglass markers for a dollar a set. I was stupid and should  have bought the cart full of cylinders for $2,00 each and sold them on craigslist. Last year I went down  to pick up a couple bags of mulch and the manager wanted  to get rid of a skid full for $40 so it came home with  me. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2021, 05:35:19 PM »
It's all about being at the right place at the right time .When stock and field got sold locally early last fall  I stocked up on oil and anti freeze .Probably have enough oil to change oil for the next 10 years .Most of it was quarter to a dollar all good quality oil to boot .Because we really don't put much mileage on the three vehicles I only change it once a year . 

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2021, 08:08:22 PM »
 Last spring I bought a pail of 1/4" chain for $20. at TSC. It'll hold up a few porch swings.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Made in China

Started by florida on General Board

12 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 08:20:56 PM
by Slabs
xx
Fender made in China

Started by Qweaver on General Board

38 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 08:18:42 PM
by isawlogs