iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

no more made in china?

Started by petefrom bearswamp, October 02, 2021, 08:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

FWIW most of my heavy rigging is in fact Crosby .Perks of the job so to speak  ;)

thecfarm

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 04, 2021, 04:03:11 PM
A few years back I landed about 3/4 of a ton of slightly rusted 3/8"  log chain from TSC for 50 dollars    
I would like to know how you paid $50 for that much chain??  :o
Talk about being at the right place at the right time!!!!
10 feet almost cost that much now!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

TSC does not mess around.  if it is on clearance, ask a manger.  they want stuff gone.  I got 82 feet of half inch chain at 10 cents on the dollar years ago.  eat your breakfast before you use that.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

It was between Christmas and New Years and I think they just wanted to be rid of it .Being rusty they could not sell it .I just threw a figure at the store manager and he jumped on it .That stuff had been outside for two weeks covered with snow. A lot of that chain they had used to chain together mowers ,log splitters etc on display out of doors to deter theft .As such it most likely was taken off inventory and for all I know could have been just a cash deal .Which is exactly what it was . One of those chains was 50 feet long and still is ,I never cut it . I actually used it to recover a big log once and pull out a stuck bucket truck from the mud in addition to about 4 or5 other chains .That thing is heavy . 

Al_Smith

Okay now a story about my junk .It's seldom not a question of if but rather where is it at .Years ago ,about 40 I bought a 1954 Oliver OC-6 crawler tractor ,gasoline engine  for about junk prices .I worked and restored everything from the track rollers up over the years then it sat for 14 years not used .The gear reduction starter ,which is for the diesel version the solder came loose on the field windings .I had another one, direct drive the fields were the same and it used a different brush holder to get reverse rotation for the two to one reduction .It was about a half hour deal and I had a good starter .A new unit is over 300 dollars, I had 20 bucks in it .--junk yard dawg thing --- 8)  

newoodguy78

Best part of that story is you found it when you needed it :D

thecfarm

That's a good deal on chain!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Old joke about heavy chain. You have to drag it because you certainly can't push it .

Resonator

Couple years back one of the big excavator guys on youtube used a Cat 336E to lift and move an old abandoned wood railroad bridge, dangling from a chain. The chain amazingly held together (though it nearly broke in multiple places), and when he was done the links had deformed so much they became one solid piece. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Al_Smith

I managed to sink a D4 Cat in a creek  so deep the fan was blowing water on me .I had a 3/8" chain around the blade with a 6 part line using snatch blocks to the winch of a Chevy wrecker anchored to another small  dozer .It pulled that chain so tight you could drive it into the ground  like a fence post .Never broke a link but the chain was junk .The little dozer could not even budge it ,just spun the tracks . 9200 pounds trying to tug 14,800 pounds .

21incher

I got a deal at Tractor Supply about  10 years ago. They were replacing western, Meyers, and Fisher plow parts with Chinese versions.  They put all the name brand parts in 2 carts. A $1 and 2$ cart. I got a basket full of plow skids marked $35 a set for a dollar each, hoses for $1 and the fiberglass markers for a dollar a set. I was stupid and should  have bought the cart full of cylinders for $2,00 each and sold them on craigslist. Last year I went down  to pick up a couple bags of mulch and the manager wanted  to get rid of a skid full for $40 so it came home with  me. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Al_Smith

It's all about being at the right place at the right time .When stock and field got sold locally early last fall  I stocked up on oil and anti freeze .Probably have enough oil to change oil for the next 10 years .Most of it was quarter to a dollar all good quality oil to boot .Because we really don't put much mileage on the three vehicles I only change it once a year . 

Ed_K

Last spring I bought a pail of 1/4" chain for $20. at TSC. It'll hold up a few porch swings.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!