iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame braces

Started by Rgdsolution, December 17, 2021, 03:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rgdsolution

So I keep going back and forth on braces. Mainly because their in the way of doors and windows and although it's good to be redundant I wonder about just being more thorough. It seems most common is the offset regular mortise and tenon style where it's fitted to size and you hold the braces in place as you add the plate or beams while erecting. I rarely see people cutting the mortise a little oversized and adding the brace after with a wedge and extra pin or screw the wedge in place? 

It seems to me that trying to get all that joinery to match nice and tightly and get it in one shot is an awful tall order and since their are usually plenty of bracing and siding etc it works out fine but my thoughts are simply why would it be less common to simply add the brace after with a wedge making a tighter connection and an easier assembly process. I realize it could look a little funny but I think it would be worth it what do you think?? Not to mention I feel I'd be less worried about leaving a couple braces out for window and door clearance.

I also have a section that has a smaller plate that needs an extra post under the span and I'm thinking instead of putting braces and a post I would just angle two smaller round poles anchored on the bottom and coming together in the center of the span acting as a post and braces saving time on joinery and resolving the extra post as well. Any thoughts?

Rgdsolution

Don P

That all works fine. A packing piece under the brace is not unheard of and is actually superior IMO, it allows you to snug up the brace in service later if you have access to the wedge. Your drawing is approaching a parallel chord truss.

Thank You Sponsors!