iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Louisiana twister

Started by pineywoods, May 02, 2019, 11:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

We got hit by the twister that went across north louisiana thurs morning. No damage to my property and we are OK, but my trees took a beating. !00+ year old pecan tree in the yard uprooted. It was considerate enough to fall right across my log pile. For perspective, that root ball is over 8 ft high.

It made a few logs. Eat your heart out WDH

Lost 7 big tall pines, most 20-24 inch dia. I'm about to run out of space to pile logs.

These from right around my house. Haven't looked at my timber tracts yet, afraid of what I'll probably find.

Plus my neighbors have already started calling and bringing logs. My mill gonna be REAL busy for quite a while
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

I'm glad the trees were all that were damaged. Bucking that pecan must have taken some careful planning.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LeeB

Glad you are ok and nothing lost but some trees. You're doing much better at clearing them up than I have done after we had a little twister in February.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Southside

Glad to hear you are OK. We have had a couple skirt right around our palace the past couple of years, close enough that I am building a shelter. Not fun at all. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Roxie

Thankful the only damage was to the trees, but I'll bet you were heartbroken when you saw that old pecan was gone. 

Did you hear it going through?  Do you have a basement or a shelter? 
Say when

Magicman

Glad that you and Nelda are OK.  I haven't seen my place since our storm.  Grandson said that the Cabin was OK but there were many trees down.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Glad you are okay. Sorry about the trees. Any chance you can top them and pll them back up and stake them out and hope they live or are they too big and too old? When I was stationed in Albany GA at the USMC Base there I had a garden patch at a guys place and we had a tornado come through and uprooted 6-7 of his 20-25 y/o trees and he tried that. I don't know how well it worked for him as I transferred that Fall I think it was and have not been back. I remember his showing me how it took down a whole row but left the catkins on the others 2 rows over. Amazing storms.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

"Louisiana twister". Sounds like a southern take on the purple nurple  :^P

Glad you're ok aside from losing some nice trees.

WDH

smiley_devil.  That is a crotchety one.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sawmill Man

Piney thats one we need to slab for some sentimental table tops. That was one bad twister,lots of damage. I have had a lot of calls for sawing jobs and slabbing from people wanting to salvage their logs. Sorry to hear of your loss if theres any way I can help let me know.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

pineywoods

Quote from: Sawmill Man on May 04, 2019, 09:12:44 AM
Piney thats one we need to slab for some sentimental table tops. That was one bad twister,lots of damage. I have had a lot of calls for sawing jobs and slabbing from people wanting to salvage their logs. Sorry to hear of your loss if theres any way I can help let me know.
Thanks for the help offer. Unless you know some way to clone half a dozen ME's it's just keep on plugging away at it. I was already a month behind when this hit. Neighbors all in the same mess, although one showed up yesterday with a truck load of red oak firewood off his place. Cut to length but not split. Haven't even started on next winters firewood. I'll just anchor seal the pecan and get to it when I can..Meanwhile, the grass on my 3 acre yard is growing like mad, the mayhaws are ripe, blueberrys starting soon and mamma got tons of flower and yard work on the todo list.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LeeB

The pecan is subject to blue stain but I don't find it to be objectionable.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!