iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First deer gun for a teenager

Started by LeeB, November 23, 2007, 02:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

No single shot rifles for me except my muzzleloader. I very seldom need a second shot but over the years I have connected with doubles on deer many times.

I lost a big doe I shot in the head with a muzzleloader several years back. She was well addled and went down but got back up and when I went to reload my muzzleloader to finish her I broke the ramrod and could not finish reloading. When I climbed down she ran off and I lost the trail where a bunch of turkeys came through and tore up the leaves and such. Also my son stepped in the blood and transferred it with every step confusing the tracking. We found her a week later 100 yards from the house. She came straight down the mountain and crossed the creek into the lot next door. I checked and found a nice .45 caliber hole in the center of her skull. How she ran 400 yards with a wound like that is beyond me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ricker

I prefer muzzle hunting. Up here muzzle season is after regular rifle season and usually have a little snow on the ground.  Probably 2/3 of the deer I have shot in the last 30 years have been with a muzzle.

15 years ago I got the pro Hunter and that was when I started using sabot bullets, 225 grain, and I have never lost a deer with them but gotta track then a short ways usually.  Before then I used a TC Firehawk and shot these 425 grain hollow point, hollow base Buffalo Bullet Company bullets. With those there wasn't any tracking, if you hit the deer they were laying right there!

WV Sawmiller

I'm using sabots in my TC Thunderhawk and .45 caliber pistol balls. 240 or 245 grain as I remember. My son swapped out the nipple from a #11 cap to a musket cap which fires a lot hotter and less likely to misfire.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

newoodguy78

Is that one capable of being swapped to the 209 primers?
I can remember some of the hangfires from the #11 primers hunting on damp rainy days.
Pull the trigger hear the tsh aka "the atomic click"of the cap going off with no boom after it, then trying to keep the bead on the deer as it slowly walks off ,all of a sudden it goes off and you immediately duck under the cloud of smoke to see if you got lucky and hit it  :D

WV Sawmiller

I don't think so. I think the musket cap is 400 times hotter than a #11. 
Howard Green

trapper

I have 3 cva single shot  All have taken deer muzzle loader, a 243 compact that grandson shot 3 deer with and a 35 welen that i got deer with the last 2 years. The 35 comes with a muzzle break and I use ear muffs in my blind.  The muffs have a radio in them to help the time go by.  The logrite trailer makes loading them easy and the blood rinses right off it.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Nebraska

Great thread  :)

My first deer was with a 94 win 3030.

.257 Robert's is a wonderful deer round.

A .35 Whelan  will turn a deer to jello.

I don't hunt near enough....

customsawyer

One of my all time favorites will always be Savage Model 99 300 savage. I got my first one when I turned 14. Now I have 3 of them. If I came across one today I would probably buy it. Not sure what is wrong with me but confident it's a long list.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Old Greenhorn

My Dad was a part-time gunsmith and pretty good at it. He had a lot of rifles pass through his hands and the 99 was his favorite too. Especially the 99D which was the takedown version. He could put that in a standard suitcase easily we he traveled and get in a little hunting. Of course, that was before the GCA of '68.
 AT one point I think he had 5 of them in different calibers and variations. Some had those fore ends that looked like a sanded 2x4 and I hated those but one day came across a 99D in 30-30 and I snapped it up. Still have that somewhere. When Dad passed and I quickly went through his collection as I moved it, I think I only counted two that he hadn't swapped off or given to family or old hunting friends. He liked the .300 Savage and the .308.
 Great gun and that rotary magazine is interesting. I always thought the 99D with the schnable (sp?) fore end was one of the sexiest things around.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Texas Ranger

Savage 99, my dads deer gun, and my first center fire, killed my first deer with it, and many more.  Then I came to Texas and longer shots,  I thought.  Killed very few deer over 100 yards, but I had bought a .30-06 bolt gun with a scope and put the 99 away to clean and remember every now and then.  As my eyes changed the scope was a good investment.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

I have a Model 99, 300 Savage also which my son Todd quickly grew into, and he has taken many nice Michigan deer with it. I shot a 11 point with it in 1963 when it still had open sights. Put a scope on it shortly after. 
~Ron

newoodguy78

Worked for a guy years ago, both him and his father had model 99s in 300 savage. I remember his father's being very blonde colored and worn to a beautiful patina. That gun had shot a lot of deer. Could be mistaken but pretty sure it was that gun that had a brass shell counter in the receiver. 

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: newoodguy78 on December 19, 2021, 11:32:13 PM......Could be mistaken but pretty sure it was that gun that had a brass shell counter in the receiver.
Yup, that was part of the rotary magazine design.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

customsawyer

I like the counters too and the little button that pops up when it is cocked.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Tacotodd

My 1st was a H&R Huntsman .45 muzzleloader that I got for Christmas in 80? I was able to deer hunt with Dad. Had some sort of conversation in it to use a 209 shotshell primer and had ZERO hangfires or misfires.

2nd was also a H&R single but in 30-30. Being from a handloading family dad cooked up some carefully crafted ammunition specifically for THAT unit with spritzer projectiles. I remember one year going to camp with him and all of the seasoned members were out shooting to check out their zeros and then they wanted to see how well I'd do compared to them. Let's just say that they NEVER asked me back to camp again, because they didn't like to be showed up by some 12yo. with some pos H&R in 30-30.
Trying harder everyday.

JW IN VA

throw my opinion into the mix.

Savage Axis II. 243 is mild recoiling and will kill any deer in NA if bullet placement is correct as it should be for any caliber. It can also be had in 6.5 Creedmoor  and 7mm/08.
My grandson killed his first buck with a 243 as did his Dad. He shot once at 50 to 75 yards and the deer took a few steps and collapsed. He now has a 7mm/08 his other Grandad gave him.
Never shot a 6.5 so I can't comment but they look good on paper.
 For many years I carried a 30/06. I've also killed them with 243 and 30/30. I still have my 30/06. 
Someone who reloads can make a manageable round out of a hard recoiler. A friend loaded some 120 grain bullets in 30/06 that are very decent. Another owns a 300 Win Mag but loads his to 30/06 velocities.

beenthere

First deer for me was using a $15 sporterized British Enfield Mark IV in .303 cal. Kicked like a mule.

It was also the first gun used by my 2 boys to kill their first deer at age of 12. They survived the practice target-shooting as well as killing deer their first times hunting (it kicked like a mule). 

After their first hunting year, we built new rifles with new bolt actions and inletting the stocks. Interarms Mark X and Savage 110, after which I built one from a Sako bolt action. All chambered in .308 cal. 

Still have that Enfield .303 but don't hunt with it anymore ('cause it kicks like a mule !    ;D ).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I have heard that those British Enfield 303's kick like a mule.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Around here if one kicks, it doesn't kick like a mule but it can kick the lard out of a biscuit.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SawyerTed

Reloading has taught me as much about accuracy, bullet design, bullet performance and bullet weight as anything shooting related that I have done (besides time in the woods).  I've learned that chasing velocity can negatively impact performance of the bullet and its accuracy.  So typically I work my loads up to 70-80% of the maximum loads in the reloading manuals.  It does me no good to have the hottest load and fastest velocity if I can't place the shot where it needs to be.  You might say I am in the Jack O'Conner camp where a very good shot with a moderate round gets the job done.  A round that you can comfortably shoot where recoil doesn't create a flinch reflex is hugely important.  Some can take recoil better than others.  

My first deer "rifle" was/is a Remington 870 shotgun with a rifled choke shooting slugs.  It still is an excellent deer harvester out to about 50 yards.  I have loaded it with a slug in the chamber and buckshot shells following.  I occasionally carry this gun to certain stands depending upon the shooting lanes and brush etc.  Since I started hunting with this shotgun, most other rifles and their recoil don't bother me much.  If anything is a "brush gun" it would be this gun.  And out to 50 yards there's plenty of knock down power!

When I "graduated" to a rifle, I got a secondhand bolt action Thompson 50 caliber muzzleloader.  I learned many lessons about shooting, loading, bullet selection, reasonable range, accuracy and so on while hunting with the muzzleloader.  I have since passed that one down to my son and replaced it with a Thompson inline 50 caliber that uses 209 shotgun primers.  One note here is that all "muzzleloader 209 primers" are not true shotgun primers.  

My next real rifle that I am quite fond of is a Remington 270 and I use it every season rain or shine.  I have killed many many deer with it.  It shoots flat, good velocity and more than enough range.  On my farm there are few shots necessary over 100 yards.  It really has very little recoil.

I do own a Mossberg 308.  It is an accurate rifle and easy to shoot.  It is overkill here for deer. If sighted correctly it is fine for 80 to 100 yards in the woods where I hunt.  Again, it is rare for me to shoot at a deer over 100 yards out.  

My favorite rifle for deer hunting is my retirement gift from my family a Henry 30-30 with the octagon barrel.  It is a sweet rifle, very smooth action and the trigger is set just to my liking.  It IS heavy  It is a tack driver.  My only dislike about it is the brass butt plate and the stock length.  The butt plate is hard on my shoulder and the stock seems a bit short for me.  A butt pad gives enough padding and length to correct those problems.  

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

I'd be lying if I said it was enjoyable to shoot that .280 Mountain Rifle at the bench. That thing knocks me around some😂
Too many irons in the fire

btulloh

Barbender, I've got a few rifles that are like that. Fine for hunting but kick hard at the bench.  I keep a couple Limbsaver slip on recoil pads in my range box and use them on these rifles for bench work. Solved the problem for me.  Reduces felt recoil by about 50%.
HM126

Texas Ranger

When range shooting from a bench means you are leaning over (usually) to get a shoulder hold.  That intensifies the felt recoil because of less "give" in the body.  A higher rest will reduce the felt recoil. But, have you ever felt recoil when shooting a deer?  I do what I can to reduce that felt recoil, range shooting is fun, but even a moderate recoil can be telling.  I have a.308 AR with a 16 inch barrel that is a killer on both ends without a doubt the beating it gives is unique.  Muzzle blast as well, I wish Texas would get on with the construction of suppressors for in state use without the federal restriction that the legislature  promised.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

I am chuckling at the comments on the Lee-Enfield. I been shooting them bored to .22 indoors  then they took us to the outdoor range and gave us the regular .303, I was a skinny 14 year old and had no idea what to expect. I got in the prone position, got my breathing right and squeezed the trigger. Holy moly did that hurt! I hadn't pulled it into my shoulder, never did that again.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

Haha Sawguy, those carbines must be pretty light. One of my buddies has a Lee-Enfield, we were laughing at him pretty hard because he was telling us how far you could raise the rear sight. From his description, it was starting to sound more like firing a mortar round😂

Btulloh, I have a Limbsaver on my .280. It makes it hit your shoulder very softly, itxs just the rest of my body that gets thrashed about😂
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!