iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swine flu – hype or real health threat?

Started by Bibbyman, September 09, 2009, 09:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I remember back in the, I think it was Johnson administration, the big Swine Flu threat.  As I remember it, it turned out to be nothing.  Yea, some people got it that lived in some kind of institutional environment or in high populated areas and a few probably died.  But it wasn't anything like they were saying it was going to be.

There appears to be a general panic about the swine flu and being able to get the shot to prevent it.  It may run its course before the vaccine is ready.  And,  do they know for sure if the vaccine they're preparing will even work?

I've heard a lot of talk on the radio about outbreaks in schools, etc.  Plans for a major part of the workforce being out due to it.  I also heard one health official say the swine flu that is coming will be no worse than any other flu.  If you're reasonably healthy,  you have little to worry about.  If you're in frail health, like any other complication, it may be too much to overcome.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Banjo picker

The moble society we live in today is very helpful to the flu bug.  People travel more than at any time in history.  The Spanish flu took advantage of soldiers traveling home in 1918 or so an killed about as many people as the bullets did.  I am not gona shake a lot of hands in the next few months.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Warbird

It recently killed a 10 year old boy here.  If a kid has a fever, they send him home and he can't go back to school for 24+ hours.

SwampDonkey

Schools here are making kids wash and anyone with flu symptoms have to stay home for 7 days and get checked out. No one that I know makes any big deal from it, just another flu strain. Some folks in these local senior groups are likely to get the shot.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bibbyman

Lots of reads but few comments. 

I read an article last evening that basically said that the vaccines coming out would do more harm than good as the swine flu virus will mutate around it and then they'll have to come out with yet another vaccine. Also all the anti-viral medication could make an even stronger version of the flu.  There was a quote at the end that the best thing to do is what you're mother told you to do – wash your hand often, avoid contact with other people that may be infected and if you get the flu,  take chicken soup and plenty of liquids.
Sawing since '94

zopi

I have a developed an immunity...I eat so much pork BBQ I will never get pig flue..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

01crewcab

I would agree that our mobile society is more apt to spread any kind of flu. I would also guess that the more time a person spends in a crowded environment the greater the chance to get it. I believe the news has reported that over at Washington State U they've had 2,000 cases reported. They also had a gammer show ( whatever that is ;D) in Seattle last weekend, and already have had over 100 cases of flu reported. So is the danger hype? I don't know. I do know I don't trust the WHO. I was at the U of W Medical Center yesterday and a lot of people there were wearing masks.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Faron

Well, I guess I can give you a firsthand report.  My nurses tell me about all flue cases in this area right now are considered H1N1.  I started feeling bad last Thursday.  Friday I ran the dozer most of the day, and felt pretty bad.  I had a clump of bad corn in a bin, and had moved that bin to another, then loaded it out on Wednesday and Thursday.  I thought it possible the grain dust might be responsible, even though I wore the best dust mask I could find.
I thought I was better Saturday morning, but felt really bad by noon.  From Saturday till last night it has been fever and chillls, muscle aches, sweating, and headaches.  Oh, and coughing up green junk. :(  My fever has exceeded 103 at times.  All in all, just a really lousy week.  Last evening I could feel myself turn the corner.  The headache went away and the fever and chills subsided.  This morning I told Chris all I needed was bear and a brier patch, as I felt like hunting with a brier switch. 8)  She suggested I better make it an awful small bear. :D  I am still coughing, but feel much better.  My doc says Tamaflue is only effective if given  in the first 48 hours.  If you start to feel ill, I would suggest getting to a doctor and getting a shot quickly, as this thing hits pretty hard.  I would worry about someone in poorer health getting this.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

thecfarm

I have no idea about the hype,but it's scary that you go into the hospital with "swine flu" and with all the fancy things with do and all the medicine we have,that person still dies.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

A buddy of mine over in Al. has it right now...said he feels a lot like what Faron described...There is rummors that our middle school may shut down if it gets any worse...

Faron I like your quote from BF...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Sprucegum

I don't want to scare anyone - in Alberta we have had 2 cases that are resistant to the vaccine  :o

beenthere

Not scared.  :)
And not sure how to interpret what "2 cases .. resistant to the vaccine" means either.

Other flu vaccines given over the years were not 100% successful, as people are different and the flu virus's are different. It is a crap shoot at best, from what I have heard.

So maybe 1000 or 10,000 didn't get the flu, and 2 did. 
Or if no shots had been given, only 2 would have gotten the flu.   Both maybe are extreme examples, but from what little they know - both seem possible to me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

Its a real threat, its not overly dangerious at the moment but as more folks get infected the chance for virus mutation grow. Its possible for the virus to become very dangerious if it mutates.

I say get the shot, just be careful with the infants which really need it more than older folks do.
remember man that thy are dust.

Faron

I think I would have had trouble today had I even met up with a teddy bear. ::)  Nasty headache came back for most of the day. I am better now, and suspect upping my liquids intake has helped- but who knows?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Mooseherder

A Pharmacist told me we can be a Carrier of the Flu all the while never experiencing any of the symptoms. ::)
That is why they are encouraging every one to get the shot.

SwampDonkey

Now they are saying anyone getting the regular fall flue shot is more likely to get H1N1.  I don't know how to interpret that, since in the next breath they said some other studies said there was no link. Sure confusing. :o

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WildDog

My work mate had the day off today to attend his 44yr old friend who died last Friday in hospital from swine flue, Wednesday week they were going to put him an induced coma but he improved, the hospital staff said if it was swine flue not to get hopes up as it would get worse before it got better. I think they will be offering the vacine here in the next week, I won't hesitate in getting my family the jab.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Warbird

Quote from: Faron on September 24, 2009, 07:12:39 AM
I thought I was better Saturday morning, but felt really bad by noon.  From Saturday till last night it has been fever and chillls, muscle aches, sweating, and headaches.  Oh, and coughing up green junk. :(  My fever has exceeded 103 at times.  All in all, just a really lousy week.  Last evening I could feel myself turn the corner.  The headache went away and the fever and chills subsided.  This morning I told Chris all I needed was bear and a brier patch, as I felt like hunting with a brier switch. 8)  She suggested I better make it an awful small bear. :D  I am still coughing, but feel much better.  My doc says Tamaflue is only effective if given  in the first 48 hours.  If you start to feel ill, I would suggest getting to a doctor and getting a shot quickly, as this thing hits pretty hard.  I would worry about someone in poorer health getting this.

Yeah, that's exactly what I had with two differences...  My fever never got that high.  In fact, most of the time, my temp was actually lower than normal.  I felt really bad, aches, sweat, headache, nausea, etc, but when I'd take my temp it would only be 96.5 or somewhere in there.

Also, my flu lasted longer.  When it started to hit 3 weeks ago, I had some headache and slight nausea that went away, then came back, then went away, etc.  The following week, it progressed into what I thought was going to be just a head cold.  Ended up missing most of last week at work.  I can't tell you how run down and exhausted I was feeling.

I'm still recovering.  Still coughing every now and then and I'm maybe at 85% of energy levels; however, I still get tired much more quickly.  Not sure if this was swine flu or normal flu and honestly, it really doesn't matter.  I sure wouldn't want to catch this if I was already sick, going through surgery, or something like that.  It's NASTY.

woodsteach

On the radio this a.m. they were talking about a Middle school student in the Topeka, KS area that the Dr's said he had the H1n1, because he tested positive for the normal flu "A"strain.  So what,  well 2-3 days later they confirm that he only had the "A" strain of the normal flu. 

The hospitals in this area don't test for h1n1 b/c it costs $400.00.  They (hospital staff) say that right now if you test positive for "A" you have the h1n1 ??? ???

I'll take my chances, .......you can take the shot,

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

SwampDonkey

When I was a kid around 12 I had a bad flu for 3 weeks. It came from both ends, ached in every muscle and head ache. I could hardly move, the mention of food was sickening.

Maybe that was swine and I got nothing to worry about, I'm immune now. :D :D

Bibbyman

I've done a little reading on the swine flu topic and got some impressions.

One is,  this flu is no more deadly or severe than any other flu. Just that it's going around earlier in the year than normal and there will be another annual flu going around too. 

Another is,  taking the swine flu shot may not protect you as it mutates in as little as two weeks time as it goes from one area of population to another.

An article said the widespread taking of the flu shot and anti flu medications may make the situation worse for the general population as it will make the strain of flu stronger.

Son Gabe has an active social life came down with a bad cold or flu.  (He's been sick all week.  Good thing for him that he's lost his job so he don't have to call in sick.)  Said the girlfriend of a buddy had the flu.  He's been crooping and coughing around the house all week.  I've told him to quarantine himself to his room or outside.  But he still comes to the kitchen about once an hour and coughs around on everything.

Today he's feeling better but I've been feeling like I'm coming down with it.  Kind of hot flashes, sweats, face fills flush, headache and so on.  He's out on the town this evening.  I can't sleep so I'm up on the Forum. The gift that just keeps giving.
Sawing since '94

Warbird

Yeah, that sounds like it, Bibby.  Be sure to get plenty of rest.  It knocked me on my butt for an entire week and I felt completely run down for an entire week on top of that.  Still not 100%.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Warbird on September 26, 2009, 02:57:13 AM
Yeah, that sounds like it, Bibby.  Be sure to get plenty of rest.  It knocked me on my butt for an entire week and I felt completely run down for an entire week on top of that.  Still not 100%.

If I could get back to 100% it'd be at least a 25% improvement over what I am normally!   :D

I feel better this morning -  so far.  I started about a week ago taking some of that AirBorn stuff.  Well, it's the Wal-Mart equivalent at half the price.  I was just taking one dose in the night for about a week but I've up the times since I started feeling this coming on.
Sawing since '94

Gary_C

I think the best answer to your question is a real threat and just hype too. The problem is no public health official could afford to dismiss this virus as any thing other than a real threat. Could you imagine the fallout if it was dismissed as a minor thing and turned out as much more serious?

All viruses are real threats as we cannot cure any viruses. Just lessen the severity and somewhat protect the weak with immunizations. Even bacteria are developing resistance to penicillins just as fast as the researchers can develop new forms of penicillin. In case you did not know, penicillin is still the only antibiotic we have. These new antibiotics are just variations of the basic penicillin. If we lose that antibiotic with overuse, there is nothing else to replace it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Modat22

I'm more concerned about my 8 month old daughter. She Got half a dose of regular flu vac last early september and we where told to come back 30 days later for the other half dose. Now when we go back she'll get regular flu shot, H1N1, dtap, prevnar and whatever else she has to have. Other words a boat load of shots. I don't want her having that many so I'll know what one causes her problems if she has any.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!