iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mossy roof

Started by 4430jd, April 25, 2013, 05:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4430jd

I have a question on how to stop moss from growing on a cabin roof. The roof is asphalt singles. I have try different opinions and nothing has worked. I might try Roundup.

beenthere

Just a couple cups of bleach to a gallon or two of water will kill it.
Roundup won't do anything.

And a copper or galvanized ridge cap will stop it from coming back.

If a tree can be removed to get more sun on the section of roof, will help too.

Care to tell us what you have tried?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tgalbraith

If you can get "zinc" coated sheet metal, cut strips 6-8" wide and secure them to both sides of the peak and
under the ridge cap.  The zinc will slowly degrade and kill and algae or moss spores.  This is one solution that
does work.    Good luck :snowball:
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Chuck White

I don't know about the different ridge caps, etc, but I think that more exposure to the sun will definately help!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

When driving around in the country, take notice of barns that have a cupola roof vent, and see the lighter streak down the roof below the vent. It comes from killing mold and bacteria.
Same if the roof has galvanized ridge vents that are not continuous along the ridge.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

I hate to say it but ...

When I replaced my asphalt shingle roof 15 years ago, I asked the contractor to put a zinc strip on either side of the peak. The contractor had rolls of 5" wide zinc for precisely this purpose.

I also cut down a lot of the trees that shaded the roof.

There is still moss growing on the new roof. It tends to be mainly near the eaves, so I suspect the zinc is working to some extent, but it isn't doing a complete job :(.

The contractor told me the only reliable solution was to go up on the roof and use a push broom at the beginning of the summer. Brush off the debris that accumulates every year because that's what carries the moss spores onto the roof. I didn't do that, of course, so I don't know if that's the answer.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

florida

Zinc strips will work but they need top be installed every 4 or5 feet down the roof to keep it all relatively clean.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

sandhills

I'd try the bleach as mentioned before it's cheap and will kill anything.  Used to work in a dairy that used it to pre-dip the cows teats and my right hand is shot, never could figure out how it didn't ruin the cows but I guess they only endured it for a few seconds everyday. 

Brucer

I was taking a closer look at my roof today and the pattern of moss is consistent with Florida's comment. If I'd had the zinc strips installed every 5 feet I would probably have no moss.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Onthesauk

We get the same rain, (and then the moss,) that Brucer gets in BC.  Have been buying both the granulated and liquid mix stuff from the co-op and treat the roof at least once a year.  One year used the dry TIDE with clorox but not quite as strong as the Co-op version.  Have tried brushing it off but not very effective.  Have taken down more trees to avoid shade but still grows of the north slope.  Nature of living in the NW. ;D
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

Being under tree canopy, plus add to that a wet climate will equal moss. In our climate, if your camp is under big white pines up here your roof will be mossed over. Where I'm from the big old farm houses never had trees shading them. One reason was it was never that hot for long and another I'm thinking was to let the roof dry quick. We had old out buildings around here from great grandfather's time and they were never mossed over. Shingles were cedar and later asphalt. SwampDonkey, with no moss on his roof. ;D

Dad's uncle had a camp under the pines in NH and his roof was mossed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JohnG28

You can buy a spray the attaches to a garden hose specifically for killing moss. I have the same problem on my garage roof from a neighbor's tree and tried it a few weeks ago. The moss is pretty much dead and starting to come off, but I think I'll have to brush it to remove it all.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Den Socling

A lot of good ideas here. A couple years ago, I got up on my house with the idea of knocking the moss off with a snow shovel. My moss grows in clumps and I thought it would be easy. No way. The process threatened to damage shingles. Now I have decided to cut a couple pines. We have too many trees too close to the house anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!