iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hair Less Fox Squirrel

Started by Autocar, February 15, 2021, 06:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Here a week or two I noticed a fox squirrel that looked like it had mange. Comes to my feeders and eats like a horse do you think he will survive  ? It has been around 10/15 degrees for about two weeks I can't figure out how he keeps from freezing.
Bill

samandothers

The title threw me, Air less..... I thought, well in must be dead.  :)

I am surprised too.  Must have a warm den and runs out just for meals.

Tacotodd

Even then, it HAS to eat like crazy just to keep it's metabolism up or else it's going to risk a death from the cold. I don't know if squirrels even get some sort of mange but it would be interesting to find out. Maybe someone such as @WV Sawmiller could tell us.
Trying harder everyday.

WV Sawmiller

Yeah I read the title and thought it was a sail squirrel - you know, the ones that are road killed and run over repeatedly till flat.

I never saw or heard of mange in squirrels. I know it is common in foxes, coyotes, and wolves. We stayed in some hotels in Africa where i worried about it - it is called Scabies when it infests people. Several of my co-workers used to take their own linen over there when they traveled.

I guess if you could live trap him you could spray or dip him (I bet spraying is easier and safer unless you can dip the whole trap) and he would likely grow more hair. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Autocar

Bill

WV Sawmiller

Autocar,

Yeah we figured that pretty quit and were just pulling your leg a bit. If it were me I would try to trap and spray him with some mange spray or maybe a mixture of sulfur and mineral oil (We used to use burnt motor oil but I figure mineral oil would be a lot cleaner to use.)

He would be impossible to twist out of a holler without any hair.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!