iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rem 760 .300 Savage

Started by Sauna freak, March 03, 2021, 09:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sauna freak

Picked one of these up at auction today.  It's not nice enough to be collectable due to some honest wear and finish damage on the wood, but mechanically sound and bore is very good.  It's been used but not abused.   Made in 1954, and they don't make them like that anymore!

Probably paid too much for it, but one of the wise old woodsmen I used to hunt with when I was young had one in .308 and I always loved it.  Got to shoot it a few times sighting in at the gravel pit but otherwise it was off limits.  Bit of a sentimental purchase and it's very suitable for my hunting areas.  I find myself hunting thicker cover as the years go by, as that's where I shoot the best deer.  I still have a couple of power line spots and open woods that are perfect for punching a doe tag, and I still have a .280 Rem Mauser for those, but it's become a real chore to carry it through the thick stuff in my newer hunting spots.  I already load the .300 Savage round for an old M99 I have that is too nice to hunt with much, and stocked some brass before the ammo stupidness so feeding it is not an issue.

This one wears a vintage Redfield 2x7 scope, so another knock to true collectors, but more useful for my aging eyes in heavy cover where threading a bullet through a narrow window in the brush is common.

Anybody else still hunt with a vintage Remington pump?
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

WV Sawmiller

Not a vintage model like yours but I hunt with a 7600 30-06 Remington. I still have my old 870 20 gauge shotgun Dad bought me used when I was 7 years old. I bought my wife a new one like it only hers is 3 inch 20 gauge and has a vent rib when we first got married (So I could get mine back).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sauna freak

Yeah, my wife steals guns too.  Ithaca M37 FWT, CZ82, CZ452.  Those I'm never getting back and have had to duplicate them in the safe.  She also likes the M1 Garand, but I draw the line there!  Sometimes I let her shoot it though.  Seems every time I get something she should like, it gets a lukewarm reception, and when I find something I really love, she gloms onto it.  She really likes the K31 Swiss rifle, but fortunately I bought a few of those when they were cheap.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Sauna freak on March 03, 2021, 11:07:48 PM
Yeah, my wife steals guns too.  Ithaca M37 FWT, CZ82, CZ452.  Those I'm never getting back and have had to duplicate them in the safe.  She also likes the M1 Garand, but I draw the line there!  Sometimes I let her shoot it though.  Seems every time I get something she should like, it gets a lukewarm reception, and when I find something I really love, she gloms onto it.  She really likes the K31 Swiss rifle, but fortunately I bought a few of those when they were cheap.
I'd love to have a Ithaca 37 .12ga again. We used to have them in the patrol cars. Also that's what the Navy had back in my day.

In my case it's my Son's safe that is the black hole where things disappear.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Old saw fixer

300 Savage is nice whitetail round, I have a Model 99F chambered in 300 Savage.  2-7 power scope is what I find best for my hunting, I have 2, a Burris and a Leupold. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Sauna freak on March 03, 2021, 09:59:07 PMAnybody else still hunt with a vintage Remington pump?
Vintage...not so much although the older I get I guess the stuff I bought new might be considered vintage soon! I have two deer rifles; Deer Slayer and Oswald.
Deer Slayer is an early 80's 7600 I bought brand new. It is a .280 Remington, cut down to carbine length. I use a Leupold  Vari-X III 1-5x scope on it. I've shot over a dozen deer with it including these two "deer of a lifetime" (for my standards anyway) bucks.

This is a 14 point I shot in 2004. He weighed 201 pounds dressed and got me into the Maine Big Bucks Club. His antlers scored 133".

My second deer of a lifetime was also taken in Maine. He only weighed 170 so he didn't make the Maine Big Bucks Club but his rack was impressive. Depending on how you count the points (in Maine where we hunt, the locals say if it's big enough to hang a ring on it, it's a point) he has 18 +/- points including a large drop tine. He scored 166-2/8" and was the largest non typical entered in the Northeast Big Bucks Club for Maine in 2018. Sorry for the dark picture.

My 7600 has also harvested 2 Caribou in Canada, one at 250 +/- yards, the second one at 10 yards and a 204 pound Black Bear in Maine at a whopping distance of 3 feet from the end of my barrel (that was a sleepless night after that day!)

Oswald is a rifle I bought his from the parents of a guy who I worked with. The family story was that it was the same type of gun that Lee Harvey Oswald used to assassinate Kennedy but another co-worker who had actually seen the rifle told me it was a pump action. Long story short, I asked if thy'd be willing to sell it to me. The father who had the gun in his possession didn't hunt or shoot and his grandfather had bought it new and barely used it. The mother was a family friend of my dad and told her son that he should sell it to me as it would see some use. It turned out to be a is a late 50's/early 60's 760 in .30-06. It had an old Weaver fixed 4X scope on it with flip scope mounts which were both common at the time. I think the only connection to this rifle and the family story about Lee Harvey Oswald is that they both wore a scope! Anyway, that's why I decided to call it "Oswald".

It had barely ever been shot. Collectors would kill me, but I sold the scope and mounts, cut it down to carbine length and added a William's Fool-Proof rear peep sight along with a fiber optic front bead sight. My plan was to use it as my "foul weather gun" (when my scope has a chance of getting wet, full of snow, etc.) but in reality, I very rarely take it out in the woods with me regardless of the weather and because of that it hasn't shot anything but paper targets.

Texas Ranger

First deer I took was with a Savage 99 in .300 Savage.  My dad bought the gun in the thirties and it will stay in the family.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Walnut Beast

Nice looks buck mounts you have there 👍

Sauna freak

@ Raider Bill...  Ithaca M37s are actually pretty affordable these days if you're not looking for a pristine collectable one.  Your run of the mill 1950's "bird" guns with the corncob forend and some good honest wear are usually in the $2-300 range locally.  They make perfect candidates to shorten the usually full choke barrel behind the choke and have a cylinder bore "riot" gun that throws a good open grouse pattern and tosses slugs pretty well.

timberking

I guess my 742 I bought in 1973 is becoming vintage.  30 06 .  Came down to 742 or 700 both then same price $149 still got the receipt.  I was 15 and payed with hay hauling money

Texas Ranger

I have an Ithica 37 feather weight in 16 ga, first shotgun I bought and it served me well growing up.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Edvantage

My theory has been an 870 shotgun and a 7600 in 308 is the the best two hunting guns to own. Practicing with clays the pump action 870 becomes second nature. This than carries over to the 7600.  I think owning too many types of guns a person can never get proficient. But I'm a lefty so a lot of guns are awkward for me. 

WV Sawmiller

Starting on the 870 was exactly the reason I chose the 7600 and I have never had one moment of regretting doing so. I killed 3 deer with the first 4 shots out of my 06 and the third shot (the one that was not a kill shot) was to push a herd past my wife.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sawguy21

Quote from: Edvantage on March 05, 2021, 10:37:21 PM
My theory has been an 870 shotgun and a 7600 in 308 is the the best two hunting guns to own. Practicing with clays the pump action 870 becomes second nature. This than carries over to the 7600.  I think owning too many types of guns a person can never get proficient. But I'm a lefty so a lot of guns are awkward for me.
I am a lefty as well yet shot long guns with my  right, I have yet to see a left hand bolt action. Handguns were a problem though. I couldn't work the safety without switching hands plus my left eye is weak. Drove the range officer nuts, the army decided I shouldn't carry a side arm. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

btulloh

Just for the record - they do make left handed versions of bolt guns but probably not stocked in gun shops. Special order item but not rare or difficult these days. 
HM126

SawyerTed

A good shotgun is as versatile a hunting firearm as you can get.  I still have the 870 I bought in the early 1980's.  It's a solid gun I've used for doves, ducks, geese, deer and turkey.  It is still my turkey gun, I don't hunt doves, ducks or geese much any more and hunt deer with a bow or rifle now.

I'm partial to the calibers between .270 and .308.  There's a caliber there that will serve most hunters in North America without being uncomfortable to shoot.  I like the Savage .300 a lot.  It can be loaded to send a 100 grain bullet at 3,000 ft/sec for varmints or a 180 grain bullet close to 2,400 ft/second for something bigger.  And 100 yard shots are only 2" high if sighted for 200 yards with a 150 grain bullet.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

trapper

I have left handed bolt 30-06 .22  17 hmr. but my favorite now are single shot 243 and 35 whelen.  243 i use as my plinker and grandson uses it for deer.  He got 3 in the 3 years he has used it.  It is a cva compact   35 is also a cva and will put 5 shots in 7/8in at 100 yards.  I reload for both.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

the difference between a 300 savage and a 300 win mag is, a 300 savage with a 150 grain bullet pushes a muzzle velocity of 2,630 fps and a 300 win mag with a 150 grain bullet pushes a muzzle velocity of 3,290 fps theres a 660 fps difference between the two.

The difference between a 300 mag and short is the short is slightly faster. And at 500 yards it's 65fps faster

Walnut Beast

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 06, 2021, 02:47:24 PM
Quote from: Edvantage on March 05, 2021, 10:37:21 PM
My theory has been an 870 shotgun and a 7600 in 308 is the the best two hunting guns to own. Practicing with clays the pump action 870 becomes second nature. This than carries over to the 7600.  I think owning too many types of guns a person can never get proficient. But I'm a lefty so a lot of guns are awkward for me.
I am a lefty as well yet shot long guns with my  right, I have yet to see a left hand bolt action. Handguns were a problem though. I couldn't work the safety without switching hands plus my left eye is weak. Drove the range officer nuts, the army decided I shouldn't carry a side arm. :D
Take a look at Blaser you can get left or right bolt and interchange barrels 

Tacotodd

Or the Thompson Center Encore. I've got a pistol of one in .308 Win. single shot. It's the ultimate Barney Fife special! hehehe. It's the ultimate in hand interchangeability, even my left handed friend liked it so much that he got one in a 7mm Rem mag rifle. I think that says bunches. Plus you can build any thing on a single receiver; pistol or rifle, any barrel that's offered for one. Parts availability is good. I've had mine for 25yrs. It's great! You could even be stupid and put a 22" - 26" rifle barrel with a pistol grip, or a pistol barrel on a rifle stock. But like I say, stupid to do that. It's going to lose any utility.
Trying harder everyday.

derhntr

I still hunt some with my Rem 760 Woodmaster in the 30.06 Have shot most of my deer with my Rem 740 auto loader in 30.06. Then I got a Browning BAR in .300 Win Mag for longer range big game hunting. I have bought a couple Rem .243 7400's for daughter and grandson. I am so impressed that I am thinking about getting one for myself for Michigan deer.   
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Tacotodd

It's all about shot placement.
Trying harder everyday.

WV Sawmiller

In Africa you can buy wild game in the grocery stores. Game farming is very popular and environmentally sound as the game are native to the area so they thrive on the native vegetation with a much better forage to meat conversion than cattle, sheep or goats or such. When the game farmers go to harvest the animals they bring a team of shooters, a chiller truck and a portable abbatoir and drive out into the bush at night with trucks with bright spotlights and extra alternators to keep the batteries charged and the lights working. The shooters use small caliber rifles like .223 up through a ,243 as the biggest they would use. They drive up to a herd of Impala, springbok, Kudu, Oryx, or whatever they are after and blind them with the lights and shoot as many as they can in the area till they wipe out the herd, the animals run away or until they kill as many they plan to harvest. All shots are head shots. My guide told us if a shooter shot an animal anywhere else they would fire him on the spot. The animals are collected, skinned, gutted and processed on the the mobile stations. Its not hunting, its not sporting, it is efficient and legal and good use of the land and animals.
Howard Green

KEC

Tacotodd said it right about shot placement. My son inherited his grandfathers'  lever action .300 Savage. So far 3 shots have been fired and 3 deer taken with it.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Tacotodd on March 08, 2021, 07:30:32 PM
Correct and if you hunt from a stand almost any caliber will kill a deer. 
In Maine, I hunt big woods. Low deer densities. This is not the type of hunting area you go to if you want to fill your freezer. The draw is stalking and tracking and going one-on-one with a deer and the odds are good that if you do find one he'll be a good one. Shot opportunities are poor at best. If you're lucky enough to shoot one standing, he'll be hidden with small hardwood whips and softwood saplings. Most deer are shot on the move and sometimes at a full run. You need more than just a round that will kill a deer standing broadside in a mowed field. Most Maine hunters use something in the .30-06 family (.270, .280, .30-06, .35 Whelen) or .308. I think if you look at the biggest bucks in Maine list the Maine Sportsman magazine puts out each year, the top calibers are usually .30-06, .308, and .270 with the order of preference varying slightly each year. Hunters prefer a well made bullet on the heavier side to punch through brush and whips. If I waited for a clear broadside shot in the Maine woods I'd never shoot a deer. 

Sauna freak

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on March 09, 2021, 02:04:52 PM
Quote from: Tacotodd on March 08, 2021, 07:30:32 PM
Correct and if you hunt from a stand almost any caliber will kill a deer.
In Maine, I hunt big woods. Low deer densities. This is not the type of hunting area you go to if you want to fill your freezer. The draw is stalking and tracking and going one-on-one with a deer and the odds are good that if you do find one he'll be a good one. Shot opportunities are poor at best. If you're lucky enough to shoot one standing, he'll be hidden with small hardwood whips and softwood saplings. Most deer are shot on the move and sometimes at a full run. You need more than just a round that will kill a deer standing broadside in a mowed field. Most Maine hunters use something in the .30-06 family (.270, .280, .30-06, .35 Whelen) or .308. I think if you look at the biggest bucks in Maine list the Maine Sportsman magazine puts out each year, the top calibers are usually .30-06, .308, and .270 with the order of preference varying slightly each year. Hunters prefer a well made bullet on the heavier side to punch through brush and whips. If I waited for a clear broadside shot in the Maine woods I'd never shoot a deer.
Sounds very much like Northern MN.  There are clearcut and pipeline spots, but those usually just yield does and basket racks, and even there shooting can get dicey.  Very little "deer grazing placidly on alfalfa, that 10 point isn't a shooter, I'll take that 12 over there in that group" and lots of "brown?  legal?  aim, track, shoot...NOW! BEFORE HE STEPS BEHIND THAT BALSAM!".  I see some hunting videos and hear tales of folks hunting in the South or on large acreages full of food plots and just shake my head.  Were it that easy, I might lose interest and take up golf.  I think the last 3 deer I've shot I've made the decision, aimed, and fired within 2 seconds, as that was all the time I had.  Got to shoot the new gun yesterday, and it's surprisingly accurate.  Rivals my .280 Rem on a Mauser 98 action at 100 yards.  I think it will serve me well.

Thank You Sponsors!