iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logmaster LM5

Started by MSTireman, April 20, 2021, 09:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSTireman

Hello new to milling.  Found a Logmaster LM5 for less than most manual mills these days.  I know there's not a lot of info on these mills.  I've searched this forum and haven't found the answer i'm looking for, so here it goes.  This mill had a "photo" measuring system and it is missing some componets.  Does anyone have one of these mills or know how they worked?  It looks like a simple, accurate system if I can get it up running.  It may not be fooling with and was wanting to ask someone who ran one.  I appreciate all responses and look forward to an ongoing education.

trimguy

I don't have an answer for you, just wanted to say "welcome ".

tacks Y

MSTireman welcome. I saw a LM5 on Ebay a few years ago asking 40k for it. I hope you bought this one, sounds to cheap. If not shoot me a PM as I would go look.

I had a LM3 with the photo eyes and I really liked it. Sold last year so no info left. Did you try calling the company? Ed or Herman they will have the parts or get the makes and buy online. It is a simple system so should be a easy fix if the parts are still on the hydraulic valve.

Does it have the turboed JD engine w/hyd drive to the blade? I though mine was a beast but the 5 was a monster. I had a sales paper on it but it went with my my.  

Where are you from? Let me know if I can help. I am a fan of the LM mills.

MSTireman

I am located in central MS.  It has a 4cyl turbo cummins on it rated at 85 hp.  The hour meter is working and only has 310 hrs on it.  The mill is in great shape and was kept under a shed.  The mill has some age on it and we are ironing out some kinks in it.  I am ready for some dry weather on the weekends so we can get to sawing.  I just got a 34" red oak 7' long and am ready to make some saw dust. I appreciate the response.

tacks Y

85 hp should make some saw dust. I was thinking JD but the I saw may have had the same engine. I think my baker 65hp is the same with out a turbo. On my LM the far back stop was a little faster/higher than the close one so had to watch that.

Does this run a 2" blade?

Does the run with a hyd motor or belt? There was a guy on here a few years back and I think he had a 5 also, he has not been around lately.

MSTireman

The back stop is a little slower than the front.  The blade engagement is all hydraulic and it does run 2" blades.  So far i'm very excited to get it up and running.  We got a wright machine sharpener with the mill.  I'm getting a new sharpening rock coming so I can sharpen some blades.  I'm trying to get up with Ed/Herman on the photo system.  I think the mill will be great once we learn how to use it.  I've always been on the dumb of a woodmizer.  Never had the opportunity to actually operate a mill.  My dad was a logger before we bought a tire/mechanic shop so I don't mind working on it.  I hope to get the measuring system up and running soon.

MSTireman

Hey tacks, how did the photo eyes read? Did it have pins you put in the holes and it read from the front, or did it have to sensors that looked through the holes? I'll try and post a picture later on. Thanks

tacks Y

Quote from: MSTireman on April 21, 2021, 07:32:24 PM
Hey tacks, how did the photo eyes read? Did it have pins you put in the holes and it read from the front, or did it have to sensors that looked through the holes? I'll try and post a picture later on. Thanks

No they would see through the holes, one on each side. Think of an eye on a garage door door, break the beam and it will not come down. Not sure of a beam, must be some sort. It sees the light and stops. Never had any trouble so not much help. I saw hard wood so never changed location but maybe once. Left at 1 1/16" Saw down cant, I would use the eyes to set cant size on last cut (remove bark slab) Then bump head up to get return blade clearance. Hold button in for eyes run head down with lever past last cut release lever keep holding button until head stops at next hole. Pretty simple.

MSTireman

This is what I have left of the photo system.

tacks Y

Look at my gallery there are some pictures of my LM3. But this may be the only one to help.

Check breather on hydraulic tank, mine had leaked water in (it sat out) They did a poor job of sealing there.

I also change the sprocket on the up/down gear box to make it go faster.

MSTireman

Tacks, I saw this picture last weekend and that's what I have been going by.  I really do appreciate your feedback.  Are you still sawing?  if so what? I have a 19" cherry that my neighbor just cut down.  That's big for a cherry in my neck of the woods. We also have approximately 3000 bf of southern yellow pine to mill.  We are in the process of building a shed for the mill now.  We are gonna set it up semi-permanent.  I like the LM but it's on the big side for a portable mill in my opinion.

tacks Y

I just saw for myself mostly. I have not put the battery back in yet this year. Now I have a 3665D Baker, it came up for sale 30 minutes from home. So I had to go see it never had seen one before. It ended up following me home, was not looking to sell the TM. I saw a little of everything.

Yes the LM is a big mill. I bought mine to sit in one place not haul around. My Baker is big also and would not to be mobile with either.

Does yours run a single chain to move the carriage? I did not like that about mine. My Baker runs 2.

My Baker also has the controls on the rear (not tongue) and also not at the end of a cant ( off to the side). So I use the drag back all the time now.

I had bought a used TK 1600 in "16" sold in "17" when I went to MI to buy the LM3. Sold it in "20" when I saw the Baker on FB.  I was looking for a grapple bucket not a mill.

That LM will run forever  and cheaply, well built.

MSTireman

Tacks,
That Baker is a beast man.  I wish you were closer so I could watch you run it. I really like the way your mill is built.  I watched a video and it said it weighed in at 10K. I really like the chain log turner, am thinking about putting one on the LM if I can't get any better with what I got.  The LM only has one chain to move the carriage, and the controls are at the tongue.  I've only been around woodmizer before and it had easier access to remove boards than the LM for sure.  I think it'll just take some getting used to.  The man we bought the LM from took the pull back fixture off the head.  I'm gonna build on this weekend and get it installed. 

tacks Y

At 10k you might be thinking the biggest Baker I think mine is more in line with the LM. I liked my LM log turner, use the grab or what ever it is called with the turner when needed. Yes LM is not the easiest to work, but I like heavy iron.  

Thank You Sponsors!