iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Entry level mills

Started by Upstatewoodchuc, April 21, 2021, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upstatewoodchuc

Hello again guys and gals, im interested in what's out there for entry mills. A couple years ago I was heavily into chainsaw milling which was okay for slabbing and beams, but not practical for mass lumber production. Now all the people who knew me locally for the chainsaw milling have been asking for dimensional lumber and im in the midst of putting a timber frame back up so the need for a bandmill has presented itself. I've been looking at the woodland hm126 and hm130 both with 14hp motor and bed extensions, price seems fair for what you get. Is anyone here using one of these? Also what else is comparable price and feature wise? Thanks, Pat.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

btulloh

I've had a HM126 for 4 years and been pleased with it and the support from the company. There have been some nice improvements since I bought mine. The 14hp was not an option back then, but more hp is better.  The hm130 is a step up and worth the extra money if it fits your budget. Get at least one track extension because you'll want that and shipping wll be cheaper if bought with the mill. The shipping charge for the mill was very reasonable and no problems with the carrier.

Most everyone is happy with their mill no matter the brand. Seems like most of the companies have good reputations and generally you get good value whether it's an entry level mill or a high end full hydraulic mill.

These days all the lead times on mills are quite long, so you'll have a bit of waiting ahead. Just the nature of things right now.

Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy your soon-to-be sawdust addiction.

PS: welcome to the Forestry Forum!  Oops - I see your not all that new, so welcome back! :D
HM126

Nebraska

EZ Boardwalk, take a look.   :) bit of a waiting  list right now  but I have been very satisfied. 

Roundhouse

I've had a HM130 with one track extension for 5 years now and it's been perfect for my needs. I don't put a ton of hours on it per year. I continue to refine my setup for efficiency (roof, overhead winch, log deck) but the mill has been reliable for steady small-scale production.

Plenty more photos showing my setup in my gallery, and a thread detailing my build. 
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

steveh2112

did you check delivery times? i called the woodmizer dealer and was told something like 4 months lead time

Screwbolts

Good afternoon,  If you are looking for good solid entry level Bandmills and are in upstate NY. I would take a ride to Barneveld the home of Hud-Son Forestry Products, they have many models to choose from and are American made.

Wow, my first post!  been lurking for years.

Laus Deo
Ken
Central NY

tiogajoe

Quote from: Nebraska on April 21, 2021, 11:32:47 PM
EZ Boardwalk, take a look.   :) bit of a waiting  list right now  but I have been very satisfied.
x2.  I have an EZ Jr. with the 5 foot extension.  Very happy with it.

justallan1

X3 for the EZ Boardwalk Jr.
Mine is my second mill and I really like it.
It's made of plenty of solid steel and will take a beating for sure.
The company is run by a great guy that is very easy to work with.
On their site they recommend Timberwolf blades, but I use Kasco and they work just fine, plus they're about $10 cheaper.

Upstatewoodchuc

Thanks for all the replies! Woodland does indeed have a wait until end of summer, not sure about EZ. The EZ costs significantly more, but does have a little more room, I think 12 foot 2 it said and that may negate some of the costs of extensions on the woodland, also build quality looks slightly better and the portable option is cheaper on the EZ...
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

Major_in_MS

Quote from: steveh2112 on April 22, 2021, 11:05:43 AMdid you check delivery times? i called the woodmizer dealer and was told something like 4 months lead time

I ordered a LT15wide two days ago and was told the expected delivery date will be March 2022.  They told me the small one, the LX25 only has a 6 month lead time, but I wanted the big one.  I thought about ordering both of them, and then selling the small one when the big one comes in.   Hmmm, still thinking about that actually.

farmfromkansas

I am watching a WM lt40 on bigiron auctions.  11 days to go and it is 2,000 over price of new.  4 year old machine, low hours.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!