iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommendations for small sawmill

Started by Hemlock121, August 09, 2022, 12:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemlock121

Hi everyone,

Earlier this summer, I purchased a Stihl 661 with the idea to mill a few large pines to make posts for a woodshed, chicken coop and other projects.  After i purchased the saw, my house was hit by a number of down bursts associated with a tornado which resulted in the loss of my house (cost to repair exceeds rebuilding) and 95% of my trees.  I now have about six 30" red pines, 8- 24" white pines and a cluster of other trees on the ground.  I used my Alaskan Mill and created a number of 3/4 boards to fix the holes in my roof (6 trees through the roof) and I must say, at my age, that was a lot of work, not only in milling, but then sharpening the chain after 4 or so passes.  I can now say that for Alaskan Milling, been there, done that, have the T-shirt.  Can anyone recommend a band saw mill, that is somewhat transportable by ATV, that would allow me to process the trees I have on the ground?  I don't have any big equipment on my property so transport of logs or the mill would be by hand or ATV.  Also, how long do the bands last on a mill?  Some of the mills that I have seen have 8' tracks.  Can tracks be added so if I need to cut a 12' beam, I can just add additional track to the mill?

Thanks! 

Menagerie-Manor

Quote from: Hemlock121 on August 09, 2022, 12:41:32 PM
Hi everyone,

Earlier this summer, I purchased a Stihl 661 with the idea to mill a few large pines to make posts for a woodshed, chicken coop and other projects.  After i purchased the saw, my house was hit by a number of down bursts associated with a tornado which resulted in the loss of my house (cost to repair exceeds rebuilding) and 95% of my trees.  I now have about six 30" red pines, 8- 24" white pines and a cluster of other trees on the ground.  I used my Alaskan Mill and created a number of 3/4 boards to fix the holes in my roof (6 trees through the roof) and I must say, at my age, that was a lot of work, not only in milling, but then sharpening the chain after 4 or so passes.  I can now say that for Alaskan Milling, been there, done that, have the T-shirt.  Can anyone recommend a band saw mill, that is somewhat transportable by ATV, that would allow me to process the trees I have on the ground?  I don't have any big equipment on my property so transport of logs or the mill would be by hand or ATV.  Also, how long do the bands last on a mill?  Some of the mills that I have seen have 8' tracks.  Can tracks be added so if I need to cut a 12' beam, I can just add additional track to the mill?

Thanks!
Woodland Mills has smaller portable hobby mills that are actually available (no long wait periods) and they have a good reputation. Granted they are not production mills but would serve your needs.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

GAB

Hemlock121:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
I think your best bet would be to hire someone who does custom sawing, and has machinery to move your logs
to the mill.  Buying a mill is possible, however if your only sawing experience is with an alaskan mill you might 
not enjoy the learning curve.
Since I have no experience with many of the small mills on the market I will not recommend any.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Nebraska

Ez Boardwalk Jr. a made in USA product.  Not imported from over the pacific ocean. Still a long wait time for one,  its so much easier  than chainsaw milling..  I sold mine recently  but was very happy with it.

fluidpowerpro

Some mills are easier to add track to than others.
You could also check out Hud-Son.
Theirs use standard angle iron for track, so it's not hard to make your own if you have a welder. If not them, every manufacturer sells extra track that you can add. If an ATV is what you have to move logs, you will want to have a log arch. I've moved some big logs with an ATV and an arch, however best stay on fairly level ground. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

fluidpowerpro

Also regarding your question about blade life. Blade life can vary greatly depending on the log being cut and how clean it is. Based on the species you note in your post, I would expect a blade to last for at least 2-3 good size logs, however it could be more, could be less. Like most things on here, others may say something different. You definitely won't be sharpening as much as your chain on an Alaskan mill.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

OlJarhead

First, I'm sorry to hear of the trouble!  I hope you can get the home fixed/replaced!

I would recommend doing some research on log arches (LogRite a sponsor here, makes good stuff) and look at all the mills advertised on the left of the page.  I have no experience with any but wood-mizer but can at least chime in there :)
I started out like you with a CSM -- and yes it's a lot of work, slow and wasted wood compared to the bandsaw mills!

Even in my 40's I found the CSM to be pretty labor intensive.  I enjoyed it mind you, but wasn't going to mill up a thousand board feet in a weekend!

So First -- you are better off getting a mill that you set stationary like this one:

That's the Wood-Mizer LT10 which isn't made anymore and replaced by the LX25 I believe.

The smallest ones are inexpensive really (often around $4k) and quite capable.  You can even make them more portable like I did:

I don't know today if that is very cost effective but back in 2012 (ish) when I did it the cost was considerably less than the 'portable' mills like the LT15.  I also sold that mill later for what I had into it -- so think of it as an investment.

If you have a 4x4 you can use it to skid logs as I did that a lot with an old Jeep Cherokee!  But a log arch and an ATV will do the trick for you.

On the really big stuff you can slab off the outer edges to get them small enough for the bandsaw mill if they are too big (like the 36" logs) but otherwise most smaller bandsaws can handle 24 inch logs.  THey aren't super fast LOL!  But they do the job and are much better and faster than chainsaws!  Here's my old one milling a large pine when it still had the 7hp motor!  (ps.  if you get one, get at least 10hp!  and if you can get more, get more! )
Watch a wood mizer LT10 on a trailer milling big pine log - YouTube

Good luck!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Acem

I recently bought a woodland mills hm126. It took a little over a month to arrive. I've just started using it. It seems to cut very well and is easy to use. Trailers are available for it or you can make your own.

I wanted a woodmizer but the price and two year wait changed my mind. A couple friends have woodmizers.

My brother in law has a woodland mills hm122. A trailer is available for it that is compatible with an atv. 

I recommend woodland but realize woodmizer is a nicer mill.

Thx-Ace 
Peace sells, who's buying?

Hemlock121

thanks you everyone for your thoughts.

Acem, I like your 8x8 foundation you use for your rail system. 
Oljarhead, that is a lot of great information and a nice setup and
FluidPowerpro, thanks for the information about blade life.  Now I understand why vendors offer boxes of blades...

Im going to continue to research the different models and then will get back with you which model I get. 

thanks again!

K-Guy

Something to keep in mind is how far away is parts and service. Most of the sawmill companies are good but how far away are their parts, that adds to downtime and cost. Others here are more knowledgeable about mills but I believe there are a couple companies in Canada that make good mills also.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

DDW_OR

late to the conversation

here are some great conversations.

Shopping for a mill in Sawmills and Milling

so which is easier, move mill to the logs then the lumber to house
or move logs to mill and lumber to house.

if you get a tractor, 35 HP 4x4 minimum with skidsteer quick attachment and pallet forks
NOT  the bucket clamp on type!!!

skidder winch, wallenstein FX85, has a built in 2 inch receiver hitch to allow you to pull a flatbed trailer

my equipment and attachments
Excavators
2008 331-30ex brushhound mower head, the flail only works on brush and vines, not trees
331 - turbosaw rtex - nice circular saw head. go slow you can damage the engine
331 - Hydraulic auger, good
331 & E80 - farma grapple and rotator, only one that i switch between excavators
2012 E80 - breaker HB 1180, going to try to use as a post pounder
E80 - hakmet Arbro 400 stroke harvester, have not used it much yet

Tractors
2011 Mahindra 22Max, good light 4x4 tractor, wish it was 35 HP
20?? Mahindra 5520, good 51HP 4x4 tractor
farmi winch jl501, 11,000 pound PTO winch, wish i could haul a trailer behind it
landpride rbt-40-108 hydraulic grader blade, good
pallet forks for the FEL ( Front End Loader )
clamp-on Bucket forks, I HATE these

2012 Timberking 2000 mill, max board is 32 inch x 21 foot
have over 30 blades for "free". 10 with mill, 10 with onsite mill demo, and 10 with Eugene forestry expo
Tallon drag sharpener. works good
and one carbide blade from Ebay. Very smooth cut, I cannot sharpen
2008 Multitek 1610EZ , has live deck that handles 12 foot logs
"let the machines do the work"

Acem

Support equipment is a very important consideration.

I'm a farmer/rancher so I already have most of the equipment I need, trucks (1/2 ton through semi), tractors (40 to 250hp), and all kinds of other stuff. Still I needed to buy better chainsaws, can't hook, etc. 

There is much more needed other than just a mill.

But you would be amazed at what you can load into the truck,  trailer or mill with a heavy duty comealong, a strong back and a smart brain.
Peace sells, who's buying?

OlJarhead

Amen to that!  I now have 4 saws (working and a 5th in pieces) though I mostly use only 1 saw, the others are for different uses than milling for the most part.

As far as CANT hooks, you can't go wrong with LogRite (a sponsor here).
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

York Woodwright

If you choose to purchase a mill, your location may help in that decision. From your information, I'm not certain if you are in Arizona or Ontario. If the latter, you might want to have a look at the machines from Norwood Sawmills in Orillia. Their prices in Canadian dollars are attractive and I don't think that there is a long waiting list. My comments, however, are not based on any personal experience with Norwood though I have met folks who extoll their products. I love my Wood-Mizer, which has served me reliably. I wish you well! Charles
I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

rusticretreater

Woodland Mills and other saws usually come with enough track to cut 8' .  You need to find big angle iron or purchase the extension track set to go longer.  Which also raises the cost of a trailer as it has to be longer.

Depending on the lay of your land you might want to go another route and get a log arch and dolly, plus make your mill stationary.  An ATV can pull logs with these things pretty easily as long as the terrain is forgiving.

When you put your mill on a trailer, you have to get the logs up there so you will also need a winch system for your trailer setup.  Most manufactures will sell you an overpriced kit for that or you make your own.  A battery powered winch is probably the best option here.

If you make your mill stationary, you can build support systems around it such as log deck.  You could use a winch or your atv to pull the logs up onto the deck or the mill.

There will be some point in this where you will need to skid a log out of the woods to the mill when there is no way to get close to it.  You will still need a lot of gear.  Straps, chains, skidding tongs, hitches, tow bars, etc.  What can you fit in your budget?
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Thank You Sponsors!