iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Types of Band Saw Blades Purchased in NH

Started by Gere Flewelling, August 18, 2022, 08:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gere Flewelling

I have a Cat Claw Sharpener that I have used with good success for five years now.  I have only used it to sharpen my own bands up to this point.  I have only used Cook's Supersharp bands on my own mill and have been quite satisfied with there performance and can usually get 5 or 6 sharpening's out of them before they are done.  Through my own experience and with advise I have received on FF, I think I have a good technique worked out to successfully sharpen bandsaw blades.
I am looking to try my hand at sharpening for others in this area as I am not aware of any saw sharpening shops that will sharpen band saw blades in this part of NH.  My sharpener requires cams to be able to match the profile of the specific bands.  I have one for the specific Cook's blades I use, but want to purchase a few cams to match other brands that customers might have.  Cook's has a variety of cams available and claim to be able to match most every brand out there.  The cams are quite expensive to purchase, so I will have to work my way into it gradually.  I am wondering what others in my area purchase for bandsaw blades to use on their mills.  There are bandsaws everywhere in this part of NH.  I think there might be some potential for for at least a part time business helping others keep their mills cutting straight.  I need to inquire with some of these guys to see what they are using but wanted to question others that I might not be aware of as well.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

newoodguy78

@Bruno of NH and @Peter Drouin are two guys I know of that are somewhat close to you. They may have some input for you both know what's going on around them. Good people

Peter Drouin

I know nothing about Cooks blades or the sharpener. I do my own. I get all my blades from Wood Mizer. I use a Wood Mizer sharpener, Cbn wheel in oil, works good. There was  a guy in Belmont. But he past away. I don't know of anyone, Never looked.
Best of luck. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bruno of NH

You will want a wm turbo 7.39 , ripper 37's in 10° and 7°
4° to get started
I sharpen my own with cbn wheels 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Gere Flewelling

Thank you for the replies.  This gives me a better idea of what people are using around here.  Do you think the smaller hp. mills would use a similar style of blades?  

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Wayne_Stevens

I'm in SE NH and have an OS23 using Cook's Super sharp Duratooth

KenMac

Gere, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that Cat's Claw sharpeners will have to be modified slightly to properly sharpen 7 and 4 degree blades. It shouldn't be too difficult to do, but new holes will need to be drilled and tapped for stops.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Gere Flewelling

Thanks KenMac- I suspected there might need to be a modification for the 4 degree adjustment but wasn't aware of one needed for the 7 degree.  I will certainly look into that.

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

barbender

I think the last hole on my Cook's is 8°.
Too many irons in the fire

KenMac

That is correct Bar bender. I guess Cook's doesn't see a need for lesser degree blades. Sometimes I also do things differently from others just to be different and unique.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

esteadle

> but want to purchase a few cams to match other brands that customers might have.

Getting into a business like this is great and the urge to pre-think everything is surely a positive thing. However, I would  like to suggest that you purchase cams after you get the customer's request / order.

You don't know what you need right now, so the best thing to do is let your customer's tell you what they need, and then let them know that you will invest in their business by buying the right cams and getting the right equipment to earn their business. That is the essence of service (doing what the customer needs) which is the business you are getting into.

Gere Flewelling

Thanks esteadle- Sound and thoughtful advice.  This is the kind of advice that will help me be successful.

BandsawBen

I like you thought i was gonna sharpen other peoples blades with my catclaw sharpener and dual tooth setter. What i ran into was costomers with a pile of junk blades. Alot of people that were bringing me blades to sharpen were locals who ran blades way too long covered in pitch and or rusty as all get out. Timber wolf blades was the majority of the blades that i ran into. Have a grind rock for each cam that way you arent reshaping the rock for every different blade. I run wm double hard blades and pretty good at those, the TW blades in my experience were harder because when bent they hold the bend more than others. There are alot of different blade hook angles, spacing, profiles, amd manufacturers, too many to keep up with it all. I was unsuccessful sharpening for others but i gave up real easy. maybe charge new customers for the cam that way you are not on the hook for an expensive cam that you only use a few time then they stop coming to you. Just an idea and good luck

Thank You Sponsors!