iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air compressor skinning out critters

Started by simonmeridew, February 11, 2006, 07:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonmeridew

This week there was a post about skinning out a pet Alpaca. My question is, what is the "air compressor" method of skinning out an animal that the poster mentioned? I usually hang a deer up  by the hind legs and work downward because gravity works for you.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

9shooter

I have heard of air compressor skinning but have never tried it. I heard you just make a small slit in the skin and then shove an air nozzle in and hit it with 100 psi or better. I've also heard of truck skinning----no I don't mean running them over, I saw a pictoral of this. The guy cut off the legs at the knees and made a length wise cut, he then skinned out the neck enough to stick a rock under the hide enough so that he could tie a rope around the hide and rock. The front legs were tied to a tree and the neck rope went over the trailer hitch. You get the picture. I used to trap a bit and threw out a few this year, mostly to train a friend, but also to have an excuse to hit the woods regular. Boy the old hands have lost their tone. It was agony skinning out a few rats and coon. Guess I'll train up the kids if I set a line next year. I still have a few beaver sets out. There is one pesky little bugger who has been giving me fits. He ate all the aspen bait but the stick on the 330 trigger. He seems to have a knack for setting off the traps. It is a beautiful mile walk through the woods too the pond he's in. I wonder if the wife knows whats going on?
        My friend wanted the muskrats out of his pond, and I agreed to help. We then decided to get the coons in his barns and put out a few coyote sets. We caught some big coons in the dog sets. We then caught his collie while checking the traps. I tried to get a hold of her to free her from the trap.......The bite has just healed up in my thigh after 2 weeks. The dog was fine after limping for 5 min.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

etat

I always use a air compressor to losen the skin.  Used it on hogs, cows, deer and a goat, and once a buffalo.  Just take a knife and make a small slit and stick a air nozzel in there pinch around it with you fngers a little bit, and blow em up.  It only takes a minute and makes the hide come loose from the meat a whole lot easier.  After you blow em up like a baloon, use whatever skinning method you're used to.   :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Texas Ranger

basket ball/foot ball inflater needle works pretty good.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

KEC

9shooter, Surely you know that it's best to keep a forked stick or snare pole handy when checking land sets. Just pin the pup down and open the trap. Most always, once an animal like a dog knows he's subdued he will become submissive and lay still. I had a dog in a trap once and he really wanted to eat me up until my son pinned him down and he went limp. After his foot was free my son let him up and he just lay there like he didn't know he was free. Then, suddenly he jumped up and trotted away like nothing happened.

Thank You Sponsors!