iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

USDA[NRCS] Conservation Stewardship Program

Started by chain, January 13, 2012, 09:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

I was sent a newsletter of the Stewardship Program announcing the sign-up five days before the deadline of which happens to be today 1-13-12.

Furthermore, the forest farm we own is located in a separate county and also another  adjacent county which happens to partly sponsor the program along with my home county[supposedly] is where the newsletter is addressed from, and another adjacent county also is involved with the projects[to our forest farm]. Sounds complicated, and it is. Four county offices we'll deal with.

Finally, the official told us that we have to sign up in our own home county and begin the process of qualifying for the SP. We've had our forest farm for a long, long, time. If there is one thing I've ever done is..to be a good steward of our land, forest, and water. I know we are getting a run around, and I will be leaving shortly to journey to local office to discuss in detail what all this red-tape is about...later  ???

woodtroll

You may be able to run it all through one office if the land is close. I have seen the county with the most acres take the lead, some times where the farms "home office" is. They can make it easy or difficult. Good luck.

What will you be getting from your Stewardship Program?

Ron Scott

With all the cutbacks in USDA/NRCS you may find that their is only one forester covering the four counties for you to deal with.
~Ron

RynSmith

The signup has been extended until 1/27 so hopefully that helps you.

chain

Thanks for the replys. Our NRCS rep in my home county explained much better the workings of the offices I will be dealing with. Also, I have several info sheets and pamphlets describing some requirements and the Stewardship Program "activites list" of which I will list only practical for forestry.

1. Forest stand improvement..manipulation of species composition; removal of trees, shrubs, etc. to enhance forest health.****

2. Forest trails and Landings..established to provide temporary access or infrequent access while limiting damage to forest.***

3. Road, trail, landings..The closure, decommissioning, of roads, trails to enhance forest functions..**

4.Early successional habitat development..Managing successional or natural plant communities for wildlfie by diversity..**

5.Upland wildlife habitat management..Manage upland habitats and connectivities within the landscape for wildlife.**

6.Restoration of rare or declining habitat..Restoring rare and declining habitats and associated wildlife species for diversity.***

7.Stream habitat improve/manage..Restore phsyical, chemical, and biolgical functions of a stream, aquatic species.*****

8. Firebreak..project to retard the movement of fire.****

9.Forest slash treatment.. Treating woody plant residues created during forest activities to reduce fire hazards. ****

10. Prescribed burning...Controlled fire applied to areas to enhance fire dependent ecologies. ****

There are several other detailed forest activities, some pertaining to livestock and plantings other type lands, I won't list.

The number of asterisks are of my own ratings of importance.

Also we have more 'tape' to cut and requirements & deadlines to be met. :P

OneWithWood

Listen carefully to what the district conservationist says. My experience with CSP was a minimal payment that tied my hands for 10 years.  The biggest problem for me is the Indiana Bat restrictions which prohibit falling any tree over 4"dbh from March through September.  This may not be a concern in your area.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Norm

I've never been the least interested in getting in bed with the NRCS no matter how much money they dangle in front of me. I only deal with the USDA because I have too.

chain

After reading the contract I have some concerns in just the point "Norm and One With Wood" have stated. I've been told of a private lands project where an endangered and rare plant species was found..it may have been the Buffalo Clover, was told the Feds took over and fenced the glade. :-\

I farm right up to a USDA wet-land boundary ongoing project.  Clearing by dozer continues of a cottonwood plantation of nearly 3000 acres originally planted by Westvaco, and another 3000 acres in former cropland & open fields is also developed for wetlands.  This property sold to a private entity which entered in to a 30 year lease/USDA, that also has the benefit of leasing for hunting, fishing etc. No taxpayers allowed! Honestly, if people only knew how their tax dollars were thrown...there would be another revolution.

Norm

There is a huge NRCS project south of me similar. If anyone with an ounce of common sense would see what they're doing it would be stopped immediately. I counted 4 D-8 dozers with scrapers working on it the other day when I went by. Have no idea of what they're doing or at least think they're doing. Just another fed agency sucking up tax dollars.

OneWithWood

Sounds like a constructed wet land.  In a couple of years you may like what you see.
One With Wood

Faron

Quote from: OneWithWood on January 17, 2012, 08:56:35 AM
Sounds like a constructed wet land.  In a couple of years you may like what you see.
If that's what they are doing, I'd about bet Norm won't like what he sees.  :D More like get a pain in his posterior every time he passes the site. ::)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

chain

I'm beginning to get that pain myself as we farm up against about two miles of the Wetland Project here; about every two hundred feet there's USDA "Private Wetlands" and "No-Trespassing" signs. Yet, the deer and a select few individuals freely trape around on the roads and fields, the road which is now impassable and now the hunters are using part of our fields to get around the largest mud-holes in 4WD trucks and jeeps & ATVs. Six thousand acres to roam and have to mud-rut our fields!

I  suggested, knowing how selfish they are, for them to put in their own road and deer fence.... :D :D :D...even our CA has bragged about 'his deer' and the big trophy bucks taken. Noone wants to take the does....or as I call them...glorified goats!

Norm

I can guarantee you I will feel just as Faron said.

It's been swampy bottom land since I can remember, leave it alone to do just what nature intended not what some NRCS biologists think it should be.

okmulch

I work closely with our NRCS office here in Stillwater. They offer several different plans to help landowners get some money for clearing cedar trees. A lot of my cutting jobs come straight from the NRCS office. The only problem I hear of is that they do not have enough money available every year to accommodate all the land owners wanting to get rid of cedar trees.. There is usually a waiting list every year.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

OneWithWood

I will check back with you in a few years.  Swampy bottom land is perfect for a wetland.  Perhaps they are simply trying to undue what someone who thought they would cash in on the corn prices thought.

There is a site just southwest of me called Goose Pond,  http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/3094.htm
For decades it changed hands as one person after another tried to farm the ground, only to go bankrupt.  Now it is a glorious wayside for migratory birds - just as nature intended all along.

Let's hope they do as good a job as the folks here did.

Faron,
Goose pond is not that far from you. 
One With Wood

Norm

Quote from: Norm on January 18, 2012, 09:05:29 AM
It's been swampy bottom land since I can remember, leave it alone to do just what nature intended not what some NRCS biologists think it should be.

Perhaps you missed that point, it's never been farmed. Too wet to do so as it floods quite regularly. Although the wildlife especially waterfowl heads out every evening to feed in the corn and bean stubble surrounding it. Not much for them to eat in the wetlands otherwise.

OneWithWood

No, just misunderstood.  If it is as it always was I would wonder what the dozers are doing too.
One With Wood

chain

Quote from: okmulch on January 18, 2012, 05:37:05 PM
I work closely with our NRCS office here in Stillwater. They offer several different plans to help landowners get some money for clearing cedar trees. A lot of my cutting jobs come straight from the NRCS office. The only problem I hear of is that they do not have enough money available every year to accommodate all the land owners wanting to get rid of cedar trees.. There is usually a waiting list every year.

I participated in a NRCS-MDC "prescribed fire" training course last year, they told us fire can be quite effective in controlling cedars, elm, locust, and hedge and is recommended in many of our glade restoration projects. I'm sure the size of cedars has much to do with success in killing the trees with fire.

CuddleBugFirewood

We don't have many cedar's (eastern red ceder) here, the ones that are planted on purpose as windbreaks next to our prairie grass don't survive when we do controlled burns.  ;) 

So, my experiance is that fire is very effective in killing small cedars.  They burn up fast.  Seems to me you would need some large firebreaks.   

The few that do pop up in the planted oak stands are cut and sprayed. 

Thank You Sponsors!