iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here you go Poston

Started by JB Griffin, November 19, 2014, 11:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Griffin

My swedge block

Not the greatest pic but I carried this 65# chunk of cast iron up to the porch last night to get the pics.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Roxie

I didn't know what a swage block was, so I looked it up.  Got an education.   :)  Nice tool to have. 
Say when

GDinMaine

Neet....I learned something too.

Swage Block from Wickipedia:

A swage block is a large, heavy block of cast iron or steel used in smithing, with variously-sized holes in its face and usually with forms on the sides.

The through-holes are of various shapes and sizes and are used to hold, support or back up a hot bar of metal for further shaping. Operations performed on a swage block include but are not limited to bending, cutting, punching and forming. The sides are scalloped to present formed shapes for forging operations.
There are two general types of swage block: Industrial, as described above, & Artistic. Artist Blacksmiths sometimes require a tool that will allow metal to be formed in ways that an anvil or traditional industrial swage block will not allow, a special Artists' block is then often used. As with industrial swage blocks, artistic blocks come in many shapes and sizes; common features are hemispherical and ovoid depressions, asymmetrical curves and non-standard angled planes (i.e. not 45 or 90 degrees).

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

loggah

I got a nice little swage block out back ,near my forge and cone anvil,maybe my wife will take a few photos. People throw these things out in the scrapyard occasionally.There should be a fuller or hammer with the opposite pattern to use with the block.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm like Roxie.....I had never heard of a swage block either.  ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

loggah

Lot of you guys led sheltered lives !!! ;D ;D ;D 
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: loggah on November 20, 2014, 08:00:42 AM

Glad Y'all are coming out of the closet  :D so we can learn.

JB Griffin

I agree with Loggah you guys have been sheltered :D
Though i've been around some really good blacksmiths from all over the north half of Arkansas, since I was 15 or 16  ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Peter Drouin

Quote from: loggah on November 20, 2014, 08:00:42 AM

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D smiley_thumbsup smiley_smash
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

whitepine2

Don't have a block but do have a nice acorn table.

JB Griffin

Quote from: whitepine2 on November 20, 2014, 07:38:35 PM
Don't have a block but do have a nice acorn table.

Haven't seen one of those in several years,... OK i've only seen two of um both at the same shop. :D  Massive thing they were 6-8' feet wide 10-12' long 6" thick.
Big 'uns for sure.

Don_Papenburg

Guess I can't say very much I never heard of a sow blower either.  :)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

loggah

Heres a couple pictures of my swage blocks,cone anvil and Buffalo forge.The little swage block on the larger one was used for making nails,you can probably tell i haven't used them in a while. ;D The big one probably weighs 150 lbs or so.

whitepine2

Haven't seen one of those in several years,... OK i've only seen two of um both at the same shop. :D  Massive thing they were 6-8' feet wide 10-12' long 6" thick.
Big 'uns for sure.

Yep big and heavy but nice to shape things and flat to true stuff,will never ding it by hitting with a sledge ether. Another thing is the squares make for nice hold-downs to shape and bend things.
Guess it is kinda like a bigger swage block.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on November 20, 2014, 08:03:57 PM
Guess I can't say very much I never heard of a sow blower either.  :)

Tough crowd tonight!  :D :D :D :D You can kiss my Grits to Don.  :D :D :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Loggah.....cool stuff there, but I would have no idea how to use any of it.  :)

loggah

You could maybe use the block for a grits form !!!!! ;D

scleigh

Poston,
the Rennisance festival is still going on in Charlotte and I think there are a few blacksmiths doing exhibitions.
I know a guy in Kings Mountain that does some blacksmith work as well, if you ever need anything done.

coxy

wow I found a bunch of them things doing a clean up job for a lo and never new what they where     they are most likely part of a rice rocket now

Magicman

Gadrock's blacksmithing friend that forged PatD's steak flipper used a wooden swage to make the final touches on the leaf.

He heated it cherry red, placed it into a burned shallow spot in the top of his "stump" and gave it a whack.  That gave the leaf a nice convex shape.  A "U" shaped swage was used to form the stem of the leaf.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

JB Griffin

Loggah, that is a nice set up you got there, I would like to find one of those blocks with holes in, think it would be handy.

FYI: Its spelled S-W-A-G-E and pronounced SW-EDGE, at least all the blacksmiths I know say it that way. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!