iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Info on Turner Mills?

Started by coppolajc10, February 24, 2014, 08:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coppolajc10

Trying to get started in portable milling services.  Not trying to get rich, just something on the side to get me outdoors more.  I've been looking at used Timberking B20s as my ideal option, until I came across this Turner Mill made in Oxford, NY, which caught my attention mostly b/c I live in western NY.  Spoke with the owner this morning, nice enough guy (spent 50 minutes on a Monday morning answering my rookie questions).  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here knows much about these mills and is willing to speak in support of a Turner Mill vs getting a Timberking.  Apparently the blade on the Turner Mill is run on two rubber tires, which seams like that might create a problem over time with blade stability/wobble.  Also, there is no log turner aside from the log clamp, he advertises the clamp as both a clamp and turner, and no hyd. toe boards, no computer setworks (though he did say he'd be able to add a log turner and toe board for more $$ if I really wanted them).  Can anyone give me reasons to go with the Turner Mill instead of a used B20?  They run around the same price.  Any other opinions on choice of Mill is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Ga Mtn Man

If you're going to try to make money doing portable sawmilling without killing yourself, go with a used hydraulic mill. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

shinnlinger

I have a Turner and it is very basic, well built mill.  I bought mine used but you can buy parts for it at NAPA as opposed to dealing with a specific dealer.  The tires are a real plus in my opinion as I have never broken a band in over 45k bdft of milling in the last 6 years .  I really don't understand why all mills don't run tires for this reason.  I can cut perfectly square 12x16 timbers with grooves worn in the tread it so I don't see a downfall. It would be  easy enough to have the tires rotated or even buy two new ones if I had to   About the only thing that could go wrong with it is engine related and it would be easy enough to swap it out if it came to it.  I could weld extension sections myself if I really wanted to but I can already saw over 27foot timbers with it so I doubt I ever will.

I will second that you want hydraulics if you are planning on production but as you noted you can buy it with that stuff and several posts on here have homemade log turners and clamps if you are handy with a welder.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

coppolajc10

Thank you guys for the info!  Shinnlinger - glad to hear the tires are not an issue, that was the only question mark for me on this mill.  Otherwise, seems like a solid, simple design to last for many years.  Thanks again!

redbeard

If your wanting to do portable milling you will get more hydraulic features with the TK B-20. Going by you first post. I don't have any knowledge on the Turner mills. Keep hydraulic features in mind on your search.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

coppolajc10

5quarter

coppolajc10...welcome aboard. Nice to see another wny guy on here. Both mills can make good lumber, given a good operator. Personally, I would opt for a TK, as that is what I am more familiar with. Folks running a Turner style mill would likely recommend a Turner. TK is a heavier, more rugged mill, but the cost of ownership over time is probably less with the turner. It'll really come down to determining your priorities and how much you can afford to spend. Definitely keep us posted.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

coppolajc10

thanks 5quarter, my dad and I go through Springville when we go fishing out in Eastcoy, Wiscoy, Ischua, and others.  I imagine it's going to be awhile before I'm a "good operator," I am completely new to this.  Grew up in the woods with chainsaws and tractors, but never any milling.  I like the B20 b/c I will be operating the mill by myself ... it's just been hard to find one around here, right now I'm considering one in Alabama!!  Anyway, thanks for your input, appreciate it.

Delawhere Jack

I started out with a Turner manual mill and then moved up to a WM LT40. The Turner was very solidly built, and like Shinnlinger said, most any part that you might need can be found locally. The tire band wheels never caused any issues for me. I have no experience with their hydraulic mills, but from reading the specs on their website it looks like they are built to the same heavy duty standards.

Hydraulics are a must for production. If you go with Turner I would seriously consider the 36" saw head.

coppolajc10

Thank you Delawhere Jack ... appreciate the info, will give that 36" Turner a serious thought.

dgdrls

Welcome coppolajc10.

My FIL worked at Dunkirk Radiator for years.
Commuted out of the Cattaraugus Cnty, 5 days a week for 15 years.
Always rolled in a full size Merc with snows when needed, which as you know is like 9 months a year
in WNY. :D

Lots of good choices for manual band mills.
Since you just started shopping I would
also suggest the EZ Boardwalk
and the Timbermule from Kentucky.

Maybe a Swingmill??  Lucas or Peterson are fine choices also.

DGDrls

5quarter

coppolajc10...I'm actually in Spingfield Nebraska, But I grew up in Cattaraugus County, in the Ischua township near Cuba Lake. I've been through Dunkirk many times. You're in Hardwood paradise... ;D ;D ;)
Blue Harbor Refinishing

coppolajc10

:D oops,  my bad 5quarter...at a quick glance I thought you were in Springville, sorry about that!  Well at least I was close on where you used to be.  On a side note, think I might be decided on a TK B20 I found in Alabama, so hardwoods beware  ;)

5quarter

Springville is close...on rt 39 just off rt 16. There was a diner there that served awesome Red Hots. I forget the name. That sounds like a great road trip to get the TK! Let us know how it goes.
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!