iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your place or mine?

Started by woodbeard, February 25, 2006, 11:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

There's a log sorting yard nearby where I've been buying logs for a couple years now, and gotten to know the guys there. In the past few months, they've had me bring the woodmizer up several times and saw there. Often, someone asks them where they can get sawmill lumber for a barn, or cedar boards, etc, so they give me a call. Gene ( TNlogger ) visited me here one day. It's a good place to work, right by the highway, and in the middle of comings and goings of the local logging industry. Oh, and of course they have a couple big CAT loaders. 8) 8)
Mostly I saw lots of cedar there:

This is a cute little A-C dozer that some of the guys remember driving when they were 10 years old:

They gave me a call the other day, saying they had someone wanting a few posts and some oak trailer decking, not hardly a full days work, but maybe I could bring the logs home on my trailer. Well, at this point, both the trailer and the mill are in a rather swampy part of my yard. Realizing that if I bring the logs home, I will be rolling 16' white oak logs over the trailer wheels in the mud, I decide to go ahead and take the mill up to the log yard anyway. DanG, what I really need is a few loads of gravel down here.
Also, I'll probably run into some more work if I saw up there, so after shuffling stuff around in the mud, off I go. And sure enough, just as I'm halfway thru the last log, a guy shows up, who I seem to think I should recognise, and starts asking about a bunch of lumber for some barns and such. He tells me his son talked him into buying a Timber King sawmill years ago, so he's got a mill but doesn't have time to fool with it, and can't get his son to either. Well, this sounds familiar, who do I know of who has a TK and is too lazy to use it? Ohh ya... the County road commisioner's son.  ;D

Coon

Tat's a good thing you got going for you there.  Keep it up.

Must be nice to have the money for the toys and never use em.  Are they too lazy or haven't they figured out how to run it yet?

Brad
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

DoubleD

I think that it's a good deal for you way to go 8)
Wannabe a sawmiller

jpgreen

There'sa guy that has a dozer just like that in town, and I've been eyeing it since he went to jail..  ;D

Might bring him a sack lunch and some cash for a visit..  :D

It's amazing how most folks (us) (me) bust are butts to be able to build or own a mill, and then some yahoo's don't even have the gumption to bother with using the one their daddy bought em'..  ::) :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

woodbeard

Well, to be fair, I've never actually met his son. Only know of him by reputation ( small town ) and thats about the extent of the reputation. It seems to be verified by his dad, though. I've met him just the one time. Being the road commisioner, I'm sure he's every bit as busy as he claims to be, if not more so.
  Yes, it's a good place to saw. If I didn't have so much other stuff going on, I could probably saw a lot more there. They can sell trailerloads of hardwood to brokers, but I'd really need to get a whole week clear and line up a helper to saw a load up. They've even entertained the idea of building a kiln.

woodbeard

Back to the "my place" part of this thread, I finally got the tin for the roof on my sawshed. A neighbor of mine just had a new roof put on her house, and was happy to have me haul off some of the old one, which was still in pretty good shape, at least for my purposes.

And, for getting the mill from here to there, or anywhere else:

Built from four dead or nearly dead trucks. Frame, tranny and front drive axle from '80 F250 4x4 I traded my old '69 chev for. Cab from a '86 F150 I got for $200 bucks and worth every penny. Dana 60 rear from '79 F250 that caught on fire. 300-6 engine from my last frankentruck project. I got the utility bed from another neighbor for $300, holds all manner of blades, tools, gas, and other fluids. Just gotta call the scrap man, and I will have four more places to stack lumber. :D

Thank You Sponsors!