iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Beauty

Started by Patty, June 23, 2006, 05:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

Richard, that is real nice.  ;)   I know your wife appreciated it. 

Burl, no I certainly am not a professional. I just love flowers, that's all. They give me lots of pleasure. I have a couple friends who have flower gardens and in the fall we dig up our excess flowers and give them to each other. One friend has a flower sale every spring, and I am one of her biggest fans. I load up my big ash suv with her pretty flowers and add them to my beds. Next year is hibiscus year...she said she had about 200 new starts to sell. I am already planning a new area where to plant them all.

We have alot of trouble with roses for some reason; or I should say I have alot of trouble with roses. The bugs adore them, and unless I spray them weekly with bug killer, they die. They also have trouble with our winters, so this year I am going to try a deep sawdust mulch to protect them Someone also told me to try a rose called "all root" (or something like that). I need to google it to find out where to purchase them. Tea roses do ok up here, but I prefer the full size roses.

That yellow one I photographed earlier, is blooming again this weekend.  smiley_daisy   She is a beauty.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Onthesauk

Patty,

Everyone has a lot of trouble with roses.  I think you've done a wonderful job with them.  When you first posted the picture I almost comment because the leaves didn't have any spots on them, something I am unable to do.  I finally gave up on roses.  Impressed that you have done so well with them.  And worth the payoff, they are beautiful!

Steve
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Burlkraft

Well Patty,

They sure are nice.....Thanks for the pictures ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

I did some googling around the net and I think my friend meant "own root" not all root. Seems most roses are grafted and have a virus in them so they can't take the extremes like a nonvirus rose. The only nonvirus roses are "own root" roses here in the states. I am going to try a few of the "own root" ones to see if they are hardier.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Patty

Ok I will stop now.  ;D   I just could not resist showing these guys to you.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Patty

Just when you thought it was safe to look in here again.... :D  I took these this morning, and I wanted to share their beauty with you all.

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

sawguy21

WOW, those are beautiful.  8) Thank you for sharing that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ron Scott

~Ron

WDH

Patty, I love this thread.  First time I have seen it.  You have made my day  8). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

It's been a while since I messed about with roses, but I'll risk embarassing myself.

That first one looks like a Queen Elizabeth.  The third one could easily be a Mr. Lincoln, and the last one looks a bit like a Tropicana, but I don't remember them having a yellowish center.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Burlkraft

Those are awesome Patty............... ;D ;D ;D

You got the best roses in da neighborhood, I'll bet.... 8) 8) 8)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

Got the ONLY roses in the neighborhood, Burl....but it sure is nice for you to say so!  :)

I get loads of pleasure from the flowers. Yes they are hard work, but boy they are sure worth the effort. My balloon flowers are in bloom now also. smiley_daisy   Such a pretty little purple flower...

DanG I do not know what the roses were that I posted last summer...they did not make it through the winter.  :-\   I will check to see what the little orange one is when I get home this afternoon. It smells wonderful! That is the trouble with the roses you buy from the florist; they don't smell! But I digress....     

I bought the own root ones this year, so hopefully they will last through the winter.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Patty

Dang, I checked the tag on the rose, and it is named "VooDoo" 

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Mooseherder

One from my wife's hard work. ;)

Patty

That is an orchid, isn't it?  Boy it is really beautiful.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Mooseherder

Patty, Correctomundo ;)
They are orchids. She has a few of them.

crtreedude

I have a few orchids - some are actually near our house, a lot deep in the jungle.  ;D

I have one that is called the butterfly orchid. Very nice.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Patty

What does it take to grow an orchid indoors? Do they survive? I mean do they survive without huge amounts of work? ???
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Mooseherder

These probably don't belong in this American beauty thread. :D
They are tropical type plants. I don't know if some type hybrids are available for cold weather. She grows them outdoors but brings them in when it is cold out.
These are hanging in baskets along the pool fence. They live off a root system without dirt.

Left Coast Chris

Here are a couple of field flowers from our trip to the coast this summer (not sure what they are):

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Patty

The orange one looks kind of like the day lilies we have around here, and the other one looks like an iris. Both of them are very pretty!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

WDH

Here is a Texas wildflower that I posted as a what-is-it.  However, it is so pretty, I decided to post it again here!

Texas bluebell.  Eustoma grandiflorum.  I love the wild flowers :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Left Coast Chris

Great thread,  beautiful wild flowers.  Patty, I have to say your first rose pic takes the cake.  It is so delicate with that slight hue of color on the tips its simply stirring.  It must be an award winning rose.  Fantastic! :o :o :o
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Patty

Thanks 77, she is a beauty isn't she.  And better yet they smell as pretty as they look! smiley_daisy

A new favorite of mine this summer has been the gladiolas. They make very nice indoor arrangements. I will get a picture of one I picked yesterday.

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Thank You Sponsors!