iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of your trees on the hit list for the mill

Started by Walnut Beast, February 14, 2022, 02:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

I might as well put this one on the list. I don't remember it being dead but it looks to be going that way eventually.

Looks like it might have been hit by lightning at one time. 

Walnut Beast

<br Lots of

It's amazing decades  upon decades ago Walnut trees started growing everywhere and took the whole creek bottom over.  Not many newer walnut trees have come up since. Hackberry seems to be the new one trying to take over when it comes to small trees. The poor big ash and elm trees of all sizes have died about everywhere 

newoodguy78

Makes one wonder what conditions fostered the walnut doing so well. 

beenthere

Walnut does well on bottom land with deep soils from river silt.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

newoodguy78

Walnut Beast

Maybe somebody knows. I wonder why newer walnut trees haven't come up in years ? Is this why and because of the old growth? The interesting thing is that the smallest trees are around 55 to 60" that puts them around 75 to 80 years old. That was the last of the newer younger trees. 

Walnut trees contain the chemical hydrojuglone which is non toxic, but when exposed to air or soil it gets oxidized. It then turns into juglone which actually starves plants of oxygen and water.

cutterboy

I posted this picture here on March of 2022.

Now here is the same tree this morning after I cleared the base of it from all the vines.

It's too hot to get involved with this ash tree today. (90s) It is supposed to cool off after tomorrow so maybe Sunday or Monday I'll cut it down. It's not huge, about 18" dbh, but tall and straight. I expect three 8' logs and a lot of firewood.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

IndiLina

Clearing a patch of poor growing red oak, red maple, white pine, and black gum on the side of the mountain. Will do some terracing to hold more water then replant with some genetically superior seedlings. But have trouble deciding on trees like this chestnut oak in the center of this pic on whether to cut it down or not. 17" dbh but has a lean to it. Is it worth leaving in place til a harvest in a few decades? Or cut it down, slab it up, then try to sell the lumber?   

Tracts in So. Indiana, Nor. NC, SW Virginia

Thank You Sponsors!