iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Filson Tin Cloth worth it?

Started by jacobcbass, February 09, 2023, 10:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacobcbass

I don't mind paying for a quality product that will last. Bonus if it's made in USA. I believe in the saying "cry once, buy once".

I'm in the market to replace my worn out Carhartt Jacket AGAIN! Would like something rugged that sheds a little rain. The filson tin cloth cruiser caught my eye, but the reviews say that aren't made with the same quality they used to be made with, also no longer made in USA. They want a premium price for them. I believe you get what you pay for, but I want something to last.

Any suggestions on something better than a modern Filson Jacket?

Nothing is to good for the family!

Old saw fixer

I found decreased quality with my last Filson purchase and won't go back.  When the fashionistas took over the company the prices went up and quality went down.  Filson used to be where men went for their work clothes...
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Southside

I have had a couple. One became a working / farm jacket and I was honestly disappointed in how it stood up. The second is more of a hunting / going to be in the briars looking at timber jacket, not a daily driver and it's done fine, but not any better than my Carhartts that I buy on sale in the summer. 

Myself I won't buy another tin cloth. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Clark

One big disclaimer: I'm able to get Filson products at a discount.

With that said I think some of their products are worth the full asking price. Tin cloth is generally very good. So are their wool items. I have a jacket similar to the one you posted and with the wool liner it's good all winter. I have worn points on the inside of the arms otherwise it is good.

I can't recommend the Jac-shirt enough. It wears very well, is very warm and lasts a long, long time. Depending on what I'm doing I'm good in it down to at least freezing, maybe 20ยบ if I'm more active. 

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Walnut Beast

Very interesting thread and responses! In another thread I was wondering what the heck that tin coat was. And when I had looked in the past at Filsons wool I never paid attention. But I have been looking into it and the bibs in the tin cloth. I wondered how it compared. Southside answered my question about how it compared to Carhartt. I was wondering if you could wax or spray on a rain shedding mixture on the Carhartt like they use on the Tin. Maybe Carhartt thinks they don't need it on their stuff.

The Filson wool coats are made in the USA but I don't think any of the tin cloth stuff was.

240b

Ive a double logger coat i bought 20 years ago an double tin pants i bought 15.
 I only wear it a few times a year for specific weather. On those days it can't be beat
the other 360 days a year i can destroy much cheaper work clothes.
  Last time i looked (online catalog) they'd stopped making the true work garments an it looked like 
the fashion crowd was the target.

Howdy

There are several places to go when looking at quality clothing.  Filson may be another company trying to change with the times to survive while losing their historic ethos. 

Looking for serious workwear I did a web search using "Filson alternatives" where several suggestions can be found.  Looks like there are a few to choose from and I wish you well.

Good post and even a gallery picture!  Your on your way to enjoying the community of the Forestry Fourm.

scsmith42

I've had a Filson Tin cloth rain coat for several years.  Pro's is that it's tough, and I can retreat it with their wax when needed (I put mine inside the kiln overnight after treating for a better end result).

Drawback is that you can't clean the jacket if it gets dirty (which mine is), unlike Carharts that you can run through the washing machine.

So for every day that I wear my Filson, I'll wear a Carhart 70 days.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

711ac

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 09, 2023, 07:52:17 PM
Very interesting thread and responses! In another thread I was wondering  I was wondering if you could wax or spray on a rain shedding mixture on the Carhartt like they use on the Tin. Maybe Carhartt thinks they don't need it on their stuff.

The Filson wool coats are made in the USA but I don't think any of the tin cloth stuff was.
I have a pair of un insulated regular carhartt bibs that I melted wax (I think like for sealing jelly jars) into the fabric with a heat gun. It works to just about waterproof and makes the duck fabric "hard" or less prone to snagging. It was a curiosity and if you've got some time to blow it's worth it. 
Filson does sell their wax as a "touch up" in a little can the size of a can of dip only half a tall.
I bought a filson double tin jacket, don't remember what it was called but not the cruiser. 
And I thought that Red Wing boots were hard to break in 😆
It stood up well... all by itself in the corner. To stiff for a closet and hanger but in the mid 90's temperatures it would start to soften. 👍
I never did break that jacket in but it's still around. A mouse got into it a little while it was in storage. He gave up (apparently) not long after he started, either that or he just left for a softer menu.👍 

Walnut Beast

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

RPF2509

I have worn the Tin pants for many years and liked them but my last pair was bought several years ago as I don't need to wear them like I once did so I can't say much about current quality.  The wore well and lasted a few years with daily use.  Much tougher than rubber wear which may not last a day.  The thing that always wore them out was the mud and friction of walking.  They are not waterproof no matter how much you wax them but they also do not absorb water.  The wax smell can take some getting used to and will rub off on bare skin.  Old timers wore wool underneath and just got wet but stayed warm.  I wore synthetic thermals on occasion when it was cold.  The advantage over rubber are that they breathe to an extent. Like rubber they are windproof which means alot on a blustery day.  I found they worked best on a day when the brush was wet but it was not raining hard.  Since then I've moved to a much colder area and have a wool cruiser jacket.  Its over 5 years old and looks new.  Does well in the dry cold and a fellow worker wore his in light rain / wet brush all the time.  I paid $300 and now they are $500.  It does not get cold enough here to warrant the double layer cruiser - thats best for below zero.

RPF2509

One thing that still bugs me on the Cruiser is the pocket layout.  Handwarmer pockets are in front of the gear pocket so there is only one layer protecting your hands and anything in the gear pocket is between your hand and body warmth.  I do find the rear pocket very useful for carrying hats, scarves, a rainshell, lunch, large notebooks etc..

llsathens

I first learned of Filson from a guy doing forest inventory work in northern Idaho during a particularly wet fall back around 1998. He sold me on the brand. After that, I kept an eye out for Filson sales, even though retailers weren't supposed to sell at discounts. I bought some tin pants at retail and was pleased with them. They were double tin and cost a bit over $100. They are now $225, which seems a bit over the top. I have a wool mackinaw coat that has lasted years, as well as two vests. Those have been good products. But, again, the prices have skyrocketed beyond normal increases. I wore the heck out of a tin cloth coat and it needs some repairs but I feel it was a good purchase 20 years ago. 

Moving forward, I wouldn't purchase another Filson product due to the ridiculous pricing. I realized it was lost on me when I was at a brewery a few years back and the bartender noticed my coat. He said, "is that a Filson?" and I replied that it was, and that I was surprised he had heard of Filson. He was proud that he had and went on to tell me about the $400 jeans he was wearing, LOL. So overall, I agree with an earlier post:

When the fashionistas took over the company the prices went up and quality went down.

Thank You Sponsors!