iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bell ultra t operating temperatures

Started by Palogger37, March 03, 2023, 08:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palogger37

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum but have been reading posts for years. Seems like a really good group of people with really good info. I recently purchased a ultra t and none of the gauges work. I'm in the process of fixing them. My question is what's a normal operating temp for the head and normal for the hydraulic oil temp? I have a temperature gun I use now and the head seems to run at 235f is this normal? Motor is duetz 913. Thanks for any info

beenthere

Palogger37
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Is your Ultra T on tracks like this one in this video? May be the "T" means on tracks. 

Bell Ultra T Track Feller Buncher cutting and topping hardwood timber - YouTube
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

235°F is way hot for hydraulic oil, really you want to stay below about 180°.
Too many irons in the fire

Mountaynman

Second that way to hot i would give the oil coolers and the rest of the engine a heavy duty degreasing and cleaning and see where that takes you
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

Firewoodjoe

Sounds to me like the engine head is 235. Not the hydraulics. That's a air cooled duetz? I've never owned one but I know they run hot. I've heard of a few fires started because the engine got debris sitting on it and combusted.  Hydraulics yeah 170-180 max. Depends on what oil your using and when the viscosity starts to harm your parts.

I'd say you need to monitor your motor oil temp more than the exterior head temp. Someone should know. They were popular in farming and logging. A google search shows a lot also. 

Palogger37

Yes 235 is the head temperature. I have not checked the hydraulic temp yet. And I'm working on getting all my gauges working then I'll know what the hydraulic temp is and the engine oil temp. 235 just seemed high to me but like was mentioned I know these things run hot. It's also a tire machine not tracked. Thanks for the replies

so il logger

235° is probably about normal there. Main thing is keeping the fins clean of debris, if there are any leaks from valve covers fix them. While you are fixing gauges make sure the safety switch for fan belt is functioning. They are great engines

chevytaHOE5674

My rule of thumb for hydraulic oil temp is ambient plus 100°.

As for the deutz running 235 that seems normal. The Deutz in a Gleaner combine ran 220-240 iirc.

Palogger37

Thanks everyone that's what I needed to hear. I did give it a good pressure wash and de greasing but I'll be sure and keep everything clean. Since my gauges aren't working I just wanted to make sure nothing was out of the ordinary as I'm still running it until I can get everything fixed up. And I will definitely check that fan belt safety switch. Any idea what kind of hydraulic oil I should run? I use 46 in my skidder but didn't know if maybe 68 would help the hydraulics run a little cooler.

Firewoodjoe

Thicker oil won't make it run cooler. It's just more protective at higher temps. My Timbco says 200 with 68. 

Thank You Sponsors!