iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jd 440b won't turn or go forward

Started by Jchampagne93, March 12, 2023, 02:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jchampagne93

John deere 440b won't turn. It tries to but it barely moves. Also it will go forward but almost acts like the clutch slips and will only go about 2 feet. I bought the machine with a bad motor. Put a motor in it and now this is where I'm at. It sat for 4 years before I got it. The winch works and so doesn't the blade. It seems to go in reverse. It is a non turbo powershift model. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C5C Tree Farmer

There is a small "T" handle screw on the main hydraulic pump in the front that's called a destroker screw. It is used to release the hydraulic pump load for cold weather engine starting. Make sure this is screwed out for normal hydraulic pump operation.

tacks Y

Does that run a shaft for the winch direct off the flywheel? So maybe clutch not right? That has a pump in trans that pumps oil to main pump out front but only when clutch is out. May want to pull top off tranny and take a look when running. This will tell if motor needs to come out and go over clutch/flywheel. :( :(  

Jchampagne93

Yes it has the shaft to the winch. The t screw is out. One thing I noticed is the hand clutch lever isn't working and it did before this. I'm hoping this is my problem. Does that clutch make the pump in the transmission work? 

tacks Y

Not sure about hand clutch? I do not remember such a thing. I think the pump in trans only works with clutch out and maybe in gear. The 440C they ran a shaft inside the main shaft to make the pump run always. I think, it has been a while. There are better experts here maybe they will chime in.

OntarioAl

Its been a long time since i ran a John Deere 440b
Could that be the parking brake the item you are referring to as a hand clutch?
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

C5C Tree Farmer

I don't have experience on the JD power shifts because for some unknown reason only syncro-range tractors show up here for repair.
I dug out my JD 3020 book to research your question. Your assumption is correct...the transmission disconnect clutch has to be engaged for the transmission oil pump to turn. This oil pump is also the charge pump for the crankshaft driven hydraulic pump on the front of the engine. It is a logical assumption that if there is no flow from the trans. oil pump the transmission along with the auxiliary hydraulics will not be operational.  

The I&T shop manual JD-203 may be useful for you to obtain for further transmission diagnosis should it be needed.

B.C.C. Lapp

Huh, my 44B did not have a "hand clutch", Can you take a pic and show us where that is?
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

C5C Tree Farmer

The transmission disconnect clutch is only used on the powershift models. It isn't used like a conventional foot clutch on the units equipped with the syncro-range transmission. It's only purpose is to temporarily disconnect the engine from the drag of the powershift transmission for cold weather starting. 

Thank You Sponsors!