iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Pine Plantation

Started by lek, January 01, 2002, 04:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lek

I have 4 acres of red pines, planted in rows and are approx 50 yrs old. I have been told I need to thin out 1/3 of these trees.  Approx how many cords of wood could come from this amount of timber?  Also what is the going rate per cord?
Located in Roscommon MI. & have approx 1800 trees per acre.  They stand 40 - 50 feet tall & have never been thinned.

swampwhiteoak

I would need some more information.  How many trees per acre?  Has it ever been thinned?  What's the spacing?  Site Index (exactly how tall are the dominant trees now?)

The stumpage (the money the loggers or mill would give you) is going to be based on their harvesting and transportation cost.  This will vary in every situation.  With only 4 acres to thin, though, economies of scale are against you.

Ron Scott

Also, What is your location to determine markets and price /cord?
~Ron

ripsaw

If the trees are of decent size i would say that it would take either 6-8 trees or 8-10 trees to make a cord. And also the price will depend on the size and quality, but it should be in the 35 to 45 dollar per cord range. I know of a gentleman who would possibly be interested in giving you a bid. I have found that if you want to get paid before the trees are harvested it tends to be less than if you can find someone you trust to harvest the trees and then pay you based on the volume that is harvested. And of course ask for references. :)

Tarm

If your pines are fifty years old and are fifty feet tall then by definition that stand has a site index of 50.  That is very low for red pine.  Are you sure about heights and age?

Ron Scott

The latest State Average Price published for red pine in the Roscommon area by International 1/4" scale is:

Sawlogs: $221.02/MBF (thousand board feet)
Pulpwood: $38.71/cord

You should contact the local Conservation District Forester, MDNR Service Forester, or a professional Consulting Forester for advice in managing your red pine stand for its best product volume and value.
~Ron

Forester Frank

Ron and Ripsaw:

Get real. Do you really think that he can get $35-$40/cord for a thinning of four acres of red pine? You guys should know that the DNR prices on not in line with the true market value. In fact their averages are often skewed due to the discombobulated method of bidding.

If you can talk some small logger into paying you a woods run price of $35-$40 per cord, then have at it. Just don't get your hopes up lek.
Forester Frank

Ron Scott

Frank,
You may get real once all marketing components are known. If you don't like the State pricing index, then look at the USDA-Forest Service transaction evidence or Timber Mart North prices etc. for red pine.

I haven't sold any red pine for less than $35.00/cord for some time. Some has been on small areas of less than 10 acres.

I agree that 4 acres may not be highly marketable on one location, thus the reason that more information is needed. However, he or his neigbors may be sitting on more acres nearby for a composite sale. I often find this situation. Again, why a Consultant might be used. 

~Ron

Timberjack

I sold some red pine for poles a few years back. Depends on how strait they are and what size they are. Think it was $10 per linner foot for the smaller ones they called them export poles. Then got $22 per linner foot for the bigger and longer ones,the bigger ones have to be pretty strait though.That price was loaded on a truck on the landing. Land owner wants to thin them again soon, so I got to look up the buyer again soon. Well good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!