iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

Good to have the ends separated by something. I know if you knot nylon tow straps together and pull hard enough, the friction with make the webbing stick together.
The D ring I use is rated for I believe 15,000# WLL, so I know the strap will break before the ring will fail. And since I don't have a winch (not yet anyway), I'll usually hook straps, cables, chains, or whatever I've got together on a long pull. And then stop and back up subtracting lengths when the log is pulled onto the trail.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

C5C Tree Farmer

Quote from: Southside on March 20, 2023, 09:58:43 AM
Which model Franklin do you have?
I have a Franklin 100XL-N. Perkins power and 18.4 x 26 tires.

Southside

This is my 170

Runs on the same style rubber as BB'S, only 30.5x32
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

What a dandy Southside!!! Thanks for posting! Love that older stuff! I don't think your going to have much trouble moving logs. A little paint and it would look good as new!

Southside

That's one gallon of Home Depot mixed paint I really stretched to cover the whole machine 7 or 8 years ago. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Probably a dumb question Southside after having and using that grapple do you think you could live without the grapple 

Southside

Myself I think a small scale operation needs a grapple and a winch, I would not want to be without either. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Yeah I wish I had a grapple, too. I was digging around on the internet years back and found literature on a bolt on grapple Pettibone made for my machine. You just raised and lowered it with the winch. Still better than jumping off when you don't need to😁

They also made a front end loader for it, and I wish I'd run across one. It was no joke, I think someone had a picture on the Forum once where they were lifting an old COE 2 ton about 10' in the air. It would be really handy for what I'm doing right now.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

That Franklin is sharp Southside, those things were built like tanks. It's a shame all of those American and Canadian foresty equipment manufacturers folded or were bought out.

47sawdust

I've got 2 nylon straps that are probably knotted for life,just happened 2 weeks ago.
I wish the g man would have posted that trick 3 weeks ago.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

mudfarmer

Hey Barbender and Southside those center oscillating skidders are cool! Anyone know if there were others out there? Taylor made at least one, solid mounted axles f/r with a big mama housing in the center using bearings

Thanks for getting me to go take pictures, maybe you can see a future problem that was hastily dealt with 

Wlmedley

I've got a pretty extensive collection of watch fobs that equipment dealers used to give away for advertising back when a lot of men carried pocket watches.My grandfather sold Pettibone years ago.Thought you all might enjoy seeing a Pettibone skidder watch fob.Don't have any Franklin fobs.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Southside

Oh gosh mudfarmer, that's a mess for sure. You better get those wasps out of there before it warms up.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Wait till Barbender sees the key fobs! He is going to be wanting one!

Old Greenhorn

There are still a few of us old farts that enjoy the elegance of a good pocket watch. Wristwatches are neither practical nor last very long on a working man's wrist. A pocket watch make sense and I carried one for years. Finding fobs and straps was dang near impossible. My Dad was an amateur clocksmith and he got a couple dozen straps from one of the supply houses he used. I have very few left, if I can find them. But finding nice, or at least decent fobs was near impossible. I could find lots of junky ones that were cheap and wound up making most of the ones I used from keychain fobs or even a nice acorn or two. Those are nice, what you have there, really nice.
 Since pocket phones came out, I only use my pocket watch when I go out and dress nicely. I have several watches, but really only one I use, the others are special and stay in the dresser. My Dad always used them until his passing.
 Ever notice the watch pockets they put in pants and jeans today are useless? They are too short to get the whole watch in and it leaves the crown sticking up, some are so short, they can't even hold the watch. I had a pair of overalls with a pocket so short that every time I bent over, the watch would fall out. Useless.
 Did I mention those are really nice fobs you have there?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

Wlmedley, those are sweet!

Mudfarmer, that's another rear oscillator I wasn't aware of. Cool👍

BargeMonkey

72 more days 🤦‍♂️ I've got an internal audit, pre-SIRE inspection and ABS inspection tomorrow, basically the maritime equivalent of being the prop piece at a proctology seminar 😆. I hope I get dinner and a movie after.
It's all about insurance so when you get hurt your on your own. The average idiots I see in these Facebook logging groups can barely read / write never mind JSA', LOTO, its slowly coming to every industry. They started pushing it here and a few captains filled out near misses for falling in the shower manscaping on crewchange day. What it's all coming down to. The guy that got squished to death the other day, the company had a fleet wide safety meeting, blamed the crew, fired the deckhand who watched him die and acted like nothing happened.

A forum member is willing to go look at it for me next week, and that 648G3 I sold is coming back, poor skidders been passed around.

It's no virgin but I don't think it's all pounded, pile of maintenance history. 5400 head.

Walnut Beast

barbender

A nice sunset over my shoulder out in the tamarack swamp😊 I FINALLY got 8-10 sticks pulled to the landing last night, but I'm still having winch issues. It's to be expected, for as long as it sat.

g_man

The way I try to work is to cut until I have about 1500 BF on my little landing (which takes me longer than you might think) and then take a day and make three trips to the log yard. I took this after I dumped my second load today which is laying behind my truck. The semi in the back ground is being loaded and heading to a mill somewhere. Probably my last trip here until after mud season. The roads here are deteriorating fast this week.

gg

BargeMonkey

Another one bites the dust. I was having a pretty rough day until this was sent to me. 

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

teakwood

Probably another trash mouth competition of his. maybe the one who told him that he will eat thru a straw, Barge still looks fine to me.  :D 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, that's a 'neighbor' of his bailing out. It's a tough game with little mercy for error judgements.
 Eric, do you know if he is keeping the sawmill operation or did you hear any other details?
 Looks like I'll be in your town on a job either the second or last weekend in April, but you will still be on your hitch. Next time buddy.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

I hate seeing anyone go out but I think he's been talking about it for a while, no help, the mill he works for sucks. I don't think that sawmill has moved in almost 2yrs since the guy running it / the neighbor fell into Tommy's young girlfriend repeatedly. I jumped thru all the hoops, got financed, and then about 7pm I got a text from the guy on the tigercat that he doesn't wanna sell right now, I think his wife put a squash on it. 🤦‍♂️ That was a quick email from the company who does alot of CJs financing. Gasoline and 5.56 ammo is going to be the new world currency soon.

No clue when I'm coming back Tom, I've got to put Matt's seed down on 1 field, get a couple customers wood. Could be 4-10wks, I told them the end of May was the limit on my sobriety / conjugal visit, depends who quits / dies, if they find willing souls.

Thank You Sponsors!