iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipent I use at the mill

Started by Buzz-sawyer, February 24, 2005, 11:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz-sawyer

Most of the stuff I own I have either fixed up to run or built, not really very fancy stuff but it mostly works, and gets the jobs I need done.......also if it is not at least 40 years old , I am probably not using it :D :D
Hey what do you expect from a hick in the sticks in Illinois....Its all rusty and I would say its depreciating...but I think it all has past the point of depreciation, does that mean now its going back up ??? ???
Here is a pic of my old wheel loader...a "hough"
I can only pic up about 5000# with it..... But it comes in handy at times

this is a trailer I use for all kinds of stuff. It is a HEAVY built car trailer, that I and others have  hauled D-4 caterpillars of different types, a DROTT ..T-6 loader, many old tractors, boo-koo junk and tooomany heavy logs :D
Its a work horse at our place :)

Heres old red as I call him...........my budy around my place.......
He is a H farmall with BUZZ added power up power dowm hydraulics,
I use this for every thing from moving logs around the yard to plowing a garden , to unstucking a 4x4 truck...a faithful friend of mine for sure :)

This is actually part of my mill set up , but still an interesting machine in its own right. These types of BUDA motors were used on sea going boats, like fishing boats, and industrial pumps and generators...it run all the way up to 1,600 RPM, the slow speed is probably why they never wear out :o

This is a 20 ton tulsa winch mounted on a 1965 chevy 2 ton truck...it'll pull  a load or the old truck in half ;)

Here is the rear view

I traded a guy a dead ford p/u for this in non running condition, looked like it had never had a plug change or general maintenance.........ran like a top after some foolin with it , it will haul about 20,000# but I like to keep it 15-18,000 max...she's old but usable.

I just like this view

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

redpowerd

that loader has "buzz" written all over it.  ;D

thanks for them pics, buzz 8)
how bout some of them trucks in the background in the farmall pic? i see they are all red.

how slow will that motor running your mill spin?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Buzz-sawyer

Red
I will get some pics of my winch truck and my good old ford dump 1966)
The mill runs 550ish rpm's
I am unsure at idle how slow she is chuggin...but man that thing runs smooth
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

ronwood

Buzz-sawyer

I been looking for an old loader like yours. Have any ideas where there might be one?

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

tnlogger

great pics Buzz
old is only well broken in
gene

pigman

Buss-sawyer wrote" Here is a pic of my old wheel loader...a "hough"
I can only pic up about 5000# with it..... But it comes in handy at times"
Since I cannot saw any log weighing over 5000lbs, the old loader would be more than adequate for my needs. I think Buss is just bragging on the old loader. ;D
Bob

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Buzz-sawyer

pigman
Naw...it may pick up more than that...but the tires would be flat in the front :D
My mill will technically handle some monsters but................Since I began sawing in 1997 they has taught me, to dislike em, more dangerous to handle, more difficult to turn.....they have lost thier allure to ol Buzz :-[ ;)

Ronwood
I will keep an eye open for ya.......still using that forklift?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

ronwood

Buzz-sawyer

Moved last fall and my new place does not lend itself to well to the forklift. If I can find extra set of tires for the front I would like to keep it (maybe also a set of chains). Completely rebuilt the engine so it runs well. Forklift has pnuematic tires but if it is little muddy or you get off in the grass or loose gravel I get stuck. 

Any suggestions on how to make the forklift work better would be appreciated.

Ron

Buzz-sawyer

Ron
Sorry but I forgot, does that have duel fronts...what height are they?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

oakiemac

Buzz,

Thanks for the pics-they are great.

I lived in Illinois for 7 years and we had about 20 trees on our property and that was more then half the total trees in the whole county. It seems funny to me to hear some one say they are from the sticks in Illinois. I know the southern part has lots of timber but where we were in the central part was like a night mare of barren land.

Is your flatbed an International? If it is, it will never stop running for you.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Buzz-sawyer

oakie
the truck is actually a stake bed ford dump truck...But those mid 60s all look alike, eh?

You said"where we were in the central part was like a night mare of barren land"
You mean like were MarkM lives ??? ;)
You know we love ta tease ya mark :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Tom

I like the pictures too.

I lived Illinois for a little while one time.  Great Lakes Training Center.   I arrived on February the third.  Brrr-r-r!

Couldn't wait to get back to Florida.  When did they move me back?   I arrived in Key West  in June.   .....Whew!

Ironwood

Ronwood,

I run two forklifts with pneumatics, a 1967 Towmotor dual fronts 5000lber and a Clark IT80 8000lber with Perkins diesel and heavy lug loader tires. I have chains for all wheeled vehicals on our property. The Towmotor does Ok in the hay field if fairly dry or frozen, the saving grace is that if I don't make my end run into the hayfield to the burn pit or whatever it's just a slight down grade out of the muck. I did have a Clark C500Y pneumatic with reallly wide front tires and it seemed to do better than the duals. The IT80 is designed as a rough terrain so that's an obvious. I mostly need just a little gravel to keep the normal lifts moving, it mostly depends on your soil type I suppose. All these things can get buried quickly and a good winch/truck/tractor whatever is added insurance should thing go south. I just had a dozer here doing work and it was my opportunity to push the envelope with the IT80 abit. It did much better than I thought it would so my confidence was built up a bit, as I don't normally have that heavy of a rescue machine here. That was a good test.

You can always check scrap yards for variations of drive tires for your lift, we have a yard locally that has all kinds of options for lifts, they save fork trucks for parts. His liitle stash has saved me several times over.

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ronwood

Buzz,

My forklift manual that I have indicates that duals can be put on it.  Tire size is 7.0-15.

Ron

KiwiCharlie

Hi Buzz,
Those old Hough loaders are great.  When I was in the Army, we had one that had 2 forks on the front for loading mobile petrol tanks onto the back of Unimog trucks.  When no one was looking we used to tilt the forks right down, which would raise the front wheels off the ground, and hoon it backwards!!  You should see the sparks!  :o :D :(
Probably (definitely!) not something we should have been doing, but it was serious fun!  Oh, the joys of youth!
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

KiwiCharlie

Hi Buzz,
I knew I had some photos somewhere - just had to find them!
Heres a pic of the Hough loader we used - what a machine!  Yee-haaaaa!  We used the Hough to load on board the fuel tanks (amongst other things!!  :o :( ) shown in the 2nd picture.

This is a pic of the typical POL (Petrol Oils n Lubricants) setup we would do in the field.
Two 500 gal petrol tanks, a pump and filter system, and ready to set up wherever we were needed, at any place, at any time of the day!  This setup was in an old logging yarding area, way out in the boondocks.  During the dead of night, a bunch of vehicles turned up for a refuel, which we did, and in the morning, we bugged out to the next location specified.

Bit off thread, but hopefully Jeff/Admin will forgive me!  ;) :D
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Buzz-sawyer

KiwiCharlie
I thought the forks on that loader in your pic looked kinda ground off!!!!
Boy those unimogs look like cool machines.

ronwood
I think that may cure your problem , a set of dual tires with tractor treads..........
on the ones I have operated they did real well, and I think mine had ford one ton rims?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Dangerous_Dan

Nice setup Buzz.  ;D I like!
This is the $300 Michigan I picked up. You can't beat those old loaders. I just luv um. Cheap and  easy to fix. Slow but it's got power. My manual says it will pick up 8000 pounds.

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

Ironwood

Ronwoodworker,

If you want me to look for duals next time I am in that yard, send an e-mail pic of the lift the stud distance (skipping one of course)and the other specs on the machine. I will be gooing up there in the next few months.

Guys, thanks for the in put/capabilities of the Hough and Michigan. I seen those used and was temped but didn't know capacities and the like. More erusty iron for my pile, "Reid's rusty iron" drives my mother-in -law crazy, good thing she's seven hours away.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ronwood

Reid,

Thanks for the offer. I will take a picture of it this weekend and get the hole pattern.

Ron

Thank You Sponsors!