iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill layout- setup a separate Coutts edger with a bandsaw milll (Woodland HM126)

Started by sawmilleng, August 11, 2022, 06:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawmilleng

Hi, All,
Newbie small sawmiller here--but spent my working years engineering & modifying large sawmills...(processing
over a million cubic meters/year)

My sons and I are planning on setting up a Woodland Mills HM126 mill and an OLD Coutts 2 saw edger.  We are planning on putting our mill on a concrete slab and erecting a building over it, since we can bring our wood in from around our farm with a forwarder.   It is pretty obvious that the edger will be not too useful for improving productivity when sawing alone but it should be a decent help when another person is around. The Coutts also has a fixed saw cluster on one side to gang cants into boards but it is size limited for cants up to 6" thick.

My head scratching is coming from my lack of experience on running the little bandsaw mills.  I want to set the edger in the most ergonomic location to move the flitches from the log to the edger.

I saw an interesting comment on this site from a gentleman in Terrace, BC, who suggested putting the edger on the side of the mill across from the sawyer and at right angles to the mill.  So once the flitch is sawn, the saw carriage is retracted to the start position and started into a new cut. While the new cut proceeds, the flitch is rotated on the log to line up with the edger infeed and pushed into the edger feedworks.

This sounds interesting, and seems to lend itself well to having an electric hoist to lift the heavier flitches and cants into position into the edger.

My thoughts were to set up the edger up the more "conventional" way with the edger in line with the mill, but downstream of the mill so the flitches have to be pulled off the end of the mill onto a rollcase that would feed into the edger.  This is more like the setup would be with an old conventional "headrig-carriage" mill.

I don't want to experiment with the different layouts because I will have one kick at the cat: pouring concrete has to come first and once that is done there is no turning back!!

Opinions and experiences are welcomed!

Jon.
East Kootenays, BC

moodnacreek

I have never run a small traveling bandsaw so I am only guessing.  The flitch boards from my carriage accumulate on the floor on top of a trap door that is a scissors lift alongside the edger. Works for me.

240b

I've been running a cooks mill with edger. the mill has the out feed roller option. 
the flitches an slabs accumulate on a pair of heavy saw horses  they hold 5-600 feet
the edger is 20' behind the mill an offset. I basically saw till the horses are full than edge. it works well with two people. the edger needs an outfeed table also.  the whole 
set up needs about 80'of ground to operate.  

Wlmedley

When you get to the end of your cut mill head is in the way keeping you from pulling lumber off the end so you would have to crank head up and walk it back before taking lumber off.Something to think about especially if working alone.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

DDW_OR

start with grid paper cutouts of the mill, edger, and slab stacks
then move the cutouts till you have a rough layout of what "should" work.

I do this in Microsoft Excel.
make the all of the rows and columns to 25 pixels
then add shapes with names

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!