iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Establishing a New Pine Plantation

Started by WDH, November 03, 2008, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

This was bare root stock.  I really focused on quality site prep after the clearcut of the original plantation.  That pays big dividends.  Poor site prep usually results in a poor stand. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yes for sure. I've seen landowners clear alder off fields to plant and then never control the alders. The trees can't survive that.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Thank you.  I have always been handsome. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

stavebuyer

More of a accounting question. Are the tree planting costs treated as an expense and deducted as you incur them or do you have to capitalize and use as them as a basis when you sell sawtimber 20 years down the road?

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Some of the best performers after two growing seasons.

Nebraska

Two seasons growth!!?  I was lucky to have my Ponderosa pines make it to my kneecaps the first two seasons.  I'm sure your site is much better though.

WDH

The majority of this growth response is due to genetic improvement.  These seedlings are Arborgen MCP Elite.  MCP stands for Mass Control Pollinated.  The father and mother of these trees is known and are chosen specifically for top growth response.  Each individual cone on the mother tree is sealed in a brown paper bag to prevent any other male pollen from pollinating the cone, and the chosen father's pollen is collected and injected into the bag with a syringe.  The seedling grown from the seed cost about 3 times as much as the standard 2nd gen seedling.  Since this is my 2nd and last rotation on this site due to my longevity (not the trees), I wanted to go with the very best.

SwampDonkey

Don't stand in the way of them pine. I heard they grow so fast they could knock a man out of his saddle. :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Plankton

Just wanted to say thanks for recording and posting all this I've been reading through the years and have appreciated watching and learning.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

customsawyer

Easy Danny. I'm  sure Ron was referring to the trees. :D Just kidding I think all three of you are looking great.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

I hardly recognize them.  They are growing up so fast.  It is good to see you out there doing what you enjoy to do.  They look to be staying 6' apart too.
Caveman

PJS

Just finished reading through this entire thread. Very informative and some laughs! great to see the progress from the start! Glad I stumbled my way onto this site! 

WDH

This year so far, 2020, perfect weather for my plantations as we have had copious rain.  The trees are happy and will maintain their social distance until the first thinning in 10 years from now if I live to see it. 

WDH

Update:  Here is pic after the third growing season.  Compare with pic in reply #357.  They are really taking off. 

Nebraska

WDH

In forestry, there have been great strides in genetics. 

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Andries

A picture like that shows a lot of know-how coming together.
Nice work Danny!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ianab

That's NZ growth rates there.  ;D

Just interested if you can get a premium for clear pruned logs later? That's a big thing here as clear pine lumber is worth MUCH more than your regular knotty stuff. So year 3 to 8 is all about lift pruning to get clear butt logs. After the last prune they would be thinned to final stocking and the thinned trees left to rot. Unless it's a really easy access site ( most aren't) it's not economic to harvest the pulp / post sized logs. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!